IGNORED

Illinois passed marriage equality!!!!

quincygal

We did it finally!!!!!! My friend is marrying his BF this weekend, so it isn't likely to kick in quite in time, but WE DID IT!!!!!!

As I tell DS "It's more important what's in someone's HEART than in their PANTS!"

We did it finally!!!!!! My friend is marrying his BF this weekend, so it isn't likely to kick in quite in time, but WE DID IT!!!!!!

As I tell DS "It's more important what's in someone's HEART than in their PANTS!"

Hawaii might be next in spite of the wishes of the president of their police union and the usual bigots.

advocate.com/politics/marriage-equality/2013/11/05/watch-youd-have-kill-me-ill-enforce-marriage-equality-says

advocate.com/politics/marriage-equality/2013/11/05/hawaii-conservatives-attempt-citizens-filibuster-marriage

Congratulations, Illinois! May many happy couples be united in matrimony!:)

A fellow parishioner of mine (he's an ordained UU minister) and his husband (a UCC minister) were all nice and married here in Connecticut, but relocated to Chicago last year. I was happy to hear their announcement that they're "legal" again, but sad to know how their civil rights were eliminated just because they'd moved.

YAAAAY! So if this brings in Illinois, including the enormous Chicago, what percentage of the US population will be under same-sex marriage states now?

:banana-rainbow: :happy-wavemulticolor: :gay-rainbow:

My guess is that Utah and the Bible Belt will be among the last states to accept marriage equality, and it will only be due to a federal mandate.

Happy to be an Illinoisian right now! (If we could just keep the former governors out of jail.)

Well, now I am expecting a wedding announcement from my cousin and her long term partner. They have been waiting for this!

YAAAAY! So if this brings in Illinois, including the enormous Chicago, what percentage of the US population will be under same-sex marriage states now?

According to Wikipedia, 37% of the population live in same-sex marriage states, with an additional 6% living in civil union/domestic partnership states. That's nearly half the population of the US.

Now if I end up having to move to Chicago (big legal market there), we'll still be "legal". Yay! Although I've had fun ribbing my Chicagoan friend because MN beat them in being the first Midwest state to pass it by legislation (rather than judicial decision like in Iowa).

I have an old friend who turned professional lobbyist in IL--her only purpose was to stay in Springfield and stop same sex marriage from passing. I am so glad it's over and she can move onto her next target now.

Congrats, Illinois! I honestly believe it will be a federal mandate (either because of the states being forced to honor same sex marriages of servicemen and servicewomen in their states, as well as legally married national guard troops, or because legally married couples move to a state where they are not legally married and sue) before too long.

We're getting there - Slowly but surely - we're getting there.

I cry every time another state passes the law. I cried a big fat ugly cry when Maryland passed it (where I currently live), and I'm sure I'll continue to cry every time LOVE WINS!

I agree that Utah and the Midwest will be the last to make it legal (and I agree it will probably be forced).

I think they're planning to start issuing licences and having courthouse ceremonies in June. My plan is to dress my girls (6 and 4) in their fanciest outfits and take them.down to be someone's flower girls. "Need a flower girl? I have two! Adorable matching dresses. My siblings-in-law can't get it together enough to get hitched, so hey strangers, want to help some little girls dreams of being a flower girl come true?"

I think they're planning to start issuing licences and having courthouse ceremonies in June. My plan is to dress my girls (6 and 4) in their fanciest outfits and take them.down to be someone's flower girls. "Need a flower girl? I have two! Adorable matching dresses. My siblings-in-law can't get it together enough to get hitched, so hey strangers, want to help some little girls dreams of being a flower girl come true?"

Great idea. :mrgreen:

We're getting there - Slowly but surely - we're getting there.

I cry every time another state passes the law. I cried a big fat ugly cry when Maryland passed it (where I currently live), and I'm sure I'll continue to cry every time LOVE WINS!

I agree that Utah and the Midwest will be the last to make it legal (and I agree it will probably be forced).

Depends on where in the midwest. Minnesota (where I live) was the first Midwestern state to pass marriage equality. :dance: I agree that the rest of the Midwest will be very difficult though. I was terrified that the marriage amendment would pass, but then it failed, then marriage equality passed and I sobbed at the buzzfeed article for posted on August 1.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/mjs538/the-75-m ... -first-day

Utah will also be among the last, though.

Archived