IGNORED

North Carolina church plans Halloween Bible burning

alchemy

telegraph.co.uk/news/religion/6346662/North-Carolina-church-plans-Halloween-Bible-burning.html

Again with that love of the KJV.

Marc Grizzard, the pastor of Amazing Grace Baptist Church in Canton, North Carolina, says that he and his congregation plan to burn Bibles on Halloween.

Pastor Grizzard and 14 other members of the church plan to burn copies of the other “perversions†of Scripture on Halloween, 31 October.

The New Revised Version Bible, the American Standard Version Bible, and even the New King James Version are all pronounced to be works of the Devil by Pastor Grizzard and his followers.

Pastor Grizzard said: “I believe the King James version is God’s preserved, inspired, inerrant, infallible word of God… for English-speaking people.

“We are burning books that we believe to be Satanic.â€

The book-burning is hoped to be a social event, with a barbecue laid on for attendees. It is not clear whether the meat will be grilled over the heat of burning Gospels. :lol:

ETA: derp, derp. just realized the article is from 2009. Feel free to delete.

The fallout from this was actually quite amusing. They were reminded of a state law prohibiting burning paper outside and inundated by protestors. The "book burning" turned into them ripping up a few books - and by "them" I think it was 5-10 people.

Apparently they pissed off some people by painting too many things as Satan's work...

rightwingwatch.org/content/celebrate-halloween-good-old-fashioned-book-burning#sthash.231QcoeQ.dpuf

Come to our Halloween book burning. We are burning Satan's bibles like the NIV, RSV, NKJV, TLB, NASB, NEV, NRSV, ASV, NWT, Good News for Modern Man, The Evidence Bible, The Message Bible, The Green Bible, ect. These are perversions of God's Word the King James Bible.

We will also be burning Satan's music such as country , rap , rock , pop, heavy metal, western, soft and easy, southern gospel , contempory [sic] Christian , jazz, soul, oldies but goldies, etc.

We will also be burning Satan's popular books written by heretics like Westcott & Hort , Bruce Metzger, Billy Graham , Rick Warren , Bill Hybels , John McArthur, James Dobson, Charles Swindoll , John Piper, Chuck Colson, Tony Evans, Oral Roberts, Jimmy Swagart, Mark Driskol, Franklin Graham , Bill Bright, Tim Lahaye, Paula White, T.D. Jakes, Benny Hinn , Joyce Myers, Brian McLaren, Robert Schuller, Mother Teresa , The Pope , Rob Bell, Erwin McManus, Donald Miller, Shane Claiborne, Brennan Manning, William Young, etc.

rawstory.com/rs/2009/11/13/pandagon-nc_fundie_pastors_halloween_non_kjv_bible_burning_and_bbq_turns_into_batsht/

Nothin like a good book rippin!

wbzPp7TUi3w

I often wonder what folks like these think non-English-speaking Christians should use for Bibles. And what would happen should they discover that King James was, at the very least, bisexual.

I always love a good christian doing the devils work for god. it is always a classic. I bible written by a gay king is so much more godly.

Years ago in a Spanish class, I ran across the idiom "hablar en cristiano"--roughly translated, "speak in Christian" and meaning "speak in a civilized manner." Yet another case of "true Christians" believing that they and they alone speak God's language.

I often wonder what folks like these think non-English-speaking Christians should use for Bibles. And what would happen should they discover that King James was, at the very least, bisexual.

Why allow truth and history to get in the way of their fanciful revisionist tale? Its much more fun to burn rip books up!

The fallout from this was actually quite amusing. They were reminded of a state law prohibiting burning paper outside and inundated by protestors. The "book burning" turned into them ripping up a few books - and by "them" I think it was 5-10 people.

Apparently they pissed off some people by painting too many things as Satan's work...

rightwingwatch.org/content/celebrate-halloween-good-old-fashioned-book-burning#sthash.231QcoeQ.dpuf

rawstory.com/rs/2009/11/13/pandagon-nc_fundie_pastors_halloween_non_kjv_bible_burning_and_bbq_turns_into_batsht/

Nothin like a good book rippin!

wbzPp7TUi3w

This is why it's impossible to tell what's real and what's satire anymore. If this was in the Onion it would seem too campy and over the top.

I see Franlkin Graham is considered a heretic, (he was a bit rowdy in his younger days) but I am a bit surprised that Rev. Billy Graham is labeled a heretic, especially by people in canton. Billy Graham is next to Jesus in popularity and reverence in Western NC. However, Mother Teresa being on the burn list is expected as she was dedicated to that cult that worships Mary.

I see Franlkin Graham is considered a heretic, (he was a bit rowdy in his younger days) but I am a bit surprised that Rev. Billy Graham is labeled a heretic. However, Mother Teresa being on the burn list is expected as she was dedicated to worshipping Mary.

IFB people in this area usually hate Billy Graham.

.jesus-is-savior.com/Wolves/billy_graham_exposed.htm

Earlier, at a news conference, the famed evangelist thrilled the cockles of the homosexuals' lusty hearts when he snapped to a reporter that he was tired of people trying to get him to criticize gays. "It's not the biggest of sins," Graham said. Billy followed this up by telling the smiling and happy liberal media: "What I want to preach about in San Francisco is the love of God. People need to know that God loves them no matter what their sexual orientation." Graham also proudly confided: "I have so many gay friends, and we remain friends

after hearing Graham's latest milktoast sermon

:lol:

So how do KJV-only fundies expect non-English speakers to be saved? Do they have to learn English, first?

IFB people in this area usually hate Billy Graham.

.jesus-is-savior.com/Wolves/billy_graham_exposed.htm

Earlier, at a news conference, the famed evangelist thrilled the cockles of the homosexuals' lusty hearts when he snapped to a reporter that he was tired of people trying to get him to criticize gays. "It's not the biggest of sins," Graham said. Billy followed this up by telling the smiling and happy liberal media: "What I want to preach about in San Francisco is the love of God. People need to know that God loves them no matter what their sexual orientation." Graham also proudly confided: "I have so many gay friends, and we remain friends

after hearing Graham's latest milktoast sermon

:lol:

So I have to ask, when people in your area talk like that is it seen as something normal that wouldn't be worth notice? Or are they seen more as kind of fringe extremists ?

So how do KJV-only fundies expect non-English speakers to be saved? Do they have to learn English, first?

only problem is the book is not English that people speak anymore.

So I have to ask, when people in your area talk like that is it seen as something normal that wouldn't be worth notice? Or are they seen more as kind of fringe extremists ?

The group I was raised in this would be totally normal. I have been in services where the pastor said that anyone who had a non-KJV Bible could just leave because they were bringing a book of lies into the house of God.

In the Southern Baptist crowd this was seen as extremist. Except, at least in the late 90's early 2000's being nice to gay people was still frowned upon in the SB churches I attended. So they probably weren't thrilled about Billy Graham being friends with gay people.

From what I remember it is said that God preserved His holy word for the English speaking people through the KJV. Non-English people can get a translation into their language from the original texts.

Do they believe it's the only correct version because god inspired king James to have it written and thus it must be like gods endorsed version?

Do they think god speaks with the thous and thines and knowests?

Do they believe it's the only correct version because god inspired king James to have it written and thus it must be like gods endorsed version?

Do they think god speaks with the thous and thines and knowests?

that would be a good thing as he was gay or at least bisexual.

You know, when I first saw the title of this thread, I thought "Christians burning a bible? No, there must be a mistake in the title..." Then I read the story and was reminded of the extent to which some fundies are batshit...once again.

The late Ethel Waters sang "His Eye is on the Sparrow" at Billy Graham crusades for years. She was bisexual.

The group I was raised in this would be totally normal. I have been in services where the pastor said that anyone who had a non-KJV Bible could just leave because they were bringing a book of lies into the house of God.

e.

I went to an IFB church once that the youth 'pastor' tried to literally rip my NIV out of my hands.

Archived