IGNORED

Goodwill doesn't have goodwill.

Chowder Head

I dropped off a trunk load of stuff at Goodwill today and encountered the rudest workers. Two of them stood there chatting and didn't even offer to help when I was lugging heavy boxes out of my trunk. I never had such a bad experience and now am thinking of using those donation bins in the future.

Stories like this and others about The Salvation Army are why I donate to local charities here in town and not the big national ones. One helps victims of domestic abuse and the other helps young struggling military families. They are always extremely thankful for any type of donations and I like knowing that what I donate stays in my community.

Fun2beme, do you have Amvets in your area? I usually get a call from a volunteer letting me know that they're going to be in my area then give me a date when I can leave my donation items in a bag or box outside my door for them to pick up. It's very convenient and easy, and keep my house from getting too cluttered (I've seen too many episodes of "Hoarders").

wow both stories are awful, especially the sheltered work story. how is it legal to pay someone pennies an hour?

the dc/baltimore are has valuevillage which is similar to goodwill but they donate to local charities. you might need to call a store to find out which charities they work with.

I dropped off a trunk load of stuff at Goodwill today and encountered the rudest workers. Two of them stood there chatting and didn't even offer to help when I was lugging heavy boxes out of my trunk. I never had such a bad experience and now am thinking of using those donation bins in the future.

I agree we tried to donate a couch it was in good condition but an older looking couch .When I tried to drop it they looked at it and said I don't know if we can take it its pretty out dated.What do they want something brand new?They have stopped helping the community and become all about profit .It is awful. :angry-banghead:

I worked for them last summer for a total of two months before it got old. The management was very smug and the rules were so strict it was insane and they basically treated us like work horses. My hours got cut to one day a week for not producing so many clothes in a short amount of time and since I have ADD I was asking questions and the supervisors would get so irate it wasn't funny. They also kept hitting home the fact how everyone quits and nobody lasted and safe to say I didn't last. I never have before seen such a callous company in my life and I never want to work for a company with such public unethical practices. I had no idea going into it what they were about.

"Savers" stores have opened locally. They're for-profit but some of the proceeds support Vietnam veterans' efforts, which is dear to my baby-boomer heart. The intake folks at the dock are always polite, well-spoken (graduates of the Maxwell school of conversation, eh? LOL) and helpful.

Goodwill has upped their service some. Seems like there are fewer obvious parolees at the docks, and more young men and women who seem able-bodied but are more polite. But they ASK, do you want a receipt? Savers just hands you a receipt - and a coupon for a good amount off on your next purchase - and set about unloading.

Goodwill doesn't have a religious affiliation, does it? It just occurred to me, I'm not sure why I'm even talking about it here. LOL! :oops:

I rarely go to the goodwill, but noticed they have upped some of their merchandise to include deeply discounted bulk items from stores... I won't really shop there anymore anyway because they started raising their prices a bit as well. I frequent the local Value Villiage- they donate to a local charity or program that helps developementally disabled people, and the store seems pretty flexible on their employment- they usually have a stack of applications by the door and welcome "anyone" to apply.

just my 2 cents. I kind of have a sweet spot for that store, I usually spend approximately $30 for $300 worth of brand new jeans, retail price. Way better bargain than Goodwill.

Interesting how Goodwill complains that the money could have been used for their programs for disabled people, but yet they don't treat their disabled workers that well.

http://www.nbcnews.com/video/rock-cente ... 8#52280748

Ugh!!! Watched this video and it makes me so mad! My aunt, who passed away 2 years ago, was mentally challenged (she was about 2nd grade level mentally) and worked for Goodwill for at least 30 years. She LOVED her job and was so proud of the work she did. Now I wonder how much they paid her. Even if what she did was simple (mostly, she packaged together plastic knives, spoons, salt & pepper packets, and napkins to hand out at fund raiser meals and other events), she was a very hard worker and never lazy. She worked hard at menial tasks that most other people would not be willing to do - but still needed to be done - and deserved to be paid at least minimum wage.

Archived