IGNORED

Hey we are not racist Unless you are not white.

doggie

Man this really shows how racist Americans can be. seems people can't see a American Indian and Arabs or anything but a white girl

I love this one

Jessica Ayres ⚓ @JAyres15

I swear I'm not racist but this is America.

might as well scream you are racist.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/ryanhatesthis/a ... ican-woman

A Lot Of People Are Very Upset That An Indian-American Woman Won The Miss America Pageant

Stats

A Lot Of People Are Very Upset That An Indian-American Woman Won The Miss America Pageant

“And the Arab wins Miss America, classic.” posted on September 16, 2013 at 12:33am EDT

Sunday night Nina Davuluri, Miss New York, was crowned the winner the 2014 Miss America Pageant. She is the first contestant of Indian descent to be crowned Miss America.

Sunday night Nina Davuluri, Miss New York, was crowned the winner the 2014 Miss America Pageant. She is the first contestant of Indian descent to be crowned Miss America.

Lucas Jackson / Reuters

When her win was announced, Twitter immediately exploded with hateful tweets, with people calling her Arab.

And the Arab wins Miss America. Classic.

How the fuck does a foreigner win miss America? She is a Arab! #idiots

Miss Arab wins Miss America and the score of the Seattle/SanFran game is 5-0 at the half? What is life?

And shock that an Indian-American would win because “this is America.”

Asian or indian are you kiddin this is america omg

this is America. not India

Oy. She's not pale enough! Her name is too foreign. Yeesh. People that rant about this are the people that shake their heads and tut tut about my mixed race relationship.

Man this really shows how racist Americans can be. seems people can't see a American Indian and Arabs or anything but a white girl

I love this one

might as well scream you are racist.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/ryanhatesthis/a ... ican-woman

Stats

“And the Arab wins Miss America, classic.” posted on September 16, 2013 at 12:33am EDT

Lucas Jackson / Reuters

When her win was announced, Twitter immediately exploded with hateful tweets, with people calling her Arab.

And the Arab wins Miss America. Classic.

How the fuck does a foreigner win miss America? She is a Arab! #idiots

Miss Arab wins Miss America and the score of the Seattle/SanFran game is 5-0 at the half? What is life?

And shock that an Indian-American would win because “this is America.”

Asian or indian are you kiddin this is america omg

this is America. not India

So, when did Saudi Arabia take over India?

Secondly (based on other complaints) when did Hindus become Moslem?

and Thirdly, if they want a caucasian, they should read up-- vast numbers people from India are Caucasian. White skin and Causcasian are not interchangeable terms.

Not to mention, WTF. I like the quote about Miss America represents the girl next door and the girl next door is ever changing...

I liked Miss Kansas, but she made a mistake trying to do Opera on short notice. Her voice is fine, but it was clear after a few bars she had not had operatic training. She'd have been better served to do a medly of military songs or WWII songs. I never pay attention to Miss America, but Miss Kansas has been in the news (here in KS) and I was channel surfing and caught the last minute of the Bollywood dance and the first few bars of the opera song... the dance was much more entertaining.

Exactly.

Indians are not Arabs, and the last time I checked, the United States was a country where everyone except Native Americans originally came from somewhere else.

"This is America"? Exactly - it's the country with the Statue of Liberty, which has a lovely inscription inviting immigrants to its shores.

Also, the last time that I checked, my born-in-Canada friends of Indian descent still looked Indian. You can be an American citizen and born in the United States, and still not be white. Do the bigots not understand that?

Sad part is she is more American then any white American. :angry-banghead:

Huh? She's certainly AS American, but why do you think she's MORE American?

Huh? She's certainly AS American, but why do you think she's MORE American?

well Indians were here before anyone else. but yes no more American. but really these idiots had no clue she is American Indian.

well Indians were here before anyone else. but yes no more American. but really these idiots had no clue she is American Indian.

Doggie, do you actually read stuff before you link and post it?

She is Indian-American, which means that her family came from India. That would explain why she did a Bollywood-style dance.

You do know that Native Americans, who are often called "Indians", have absolutely no connection to India and are a completely separate group, right?

Um...she's not Native American, she's Indian as in from India.

ETA: sorry 2xx, we cross-posted. :embarrassed:

She's Indian Indian, not Native American. Also, to a PP, there is quite a large population of Muslims in India. It's not all Hindu.

That said, the comments make me rage-y. Very rage-y. Americans come from a variety of ethnic backgrounds. We are not a white nation, nor a Christian nation. So what if someone from Indian descent won the crown? You just can't fix stupid. You can't.

Um...she's not Native American, she's Indian as in from India.

I did not see that. well my bad on that part. I was wondering she did not look American Indian.

I wish her a good run. Sheesh I am embarrassed that people have to keep showing their ugliness to the world. :angry-banghead:

I did not see that. well my bad on that part. I was wondering she did not look American Indian.

It's in the headline.

I don't usually call posters out, but it's not the first time that you've posted something without having any real idea what it said or where it came from (like posting a link to Pravda).

Just like I tell everyone who feels compelled to do email forwards, re-tweets and Facebook re-posts - stop and READ it first. [This article was a good one to post, but you should know what you are posting.]

If you have to preface what you're about to say with "I'm not racist/sexist/homophobic, etc.,", then yeah, you probably are.

The racism in this country is scary. It would be great if it was only a handful of ignorant, anonymous Internet posters responsible for all this hate, but sadly that is probably not the case.

Really not a fan of these types of competitions but she sounds like a pretty interesting person.

"During her year as Miss America she will serve as spokesperson for STEM (science, technology, engineering and mathematics) this year as she travels to Washington, D.C., to work with the Department of Education," according to a Miss America statement.

She also is passionate about healthy lifestyles after battling obesity and bulimia when she was younger.

Davuluri's platform was "Celebrating Diversity Through Cultural Competency." For the talent portion of the competition, she performed classic Indian dances fused with Bollywood moves.'

Bollywood movies are a total middle of the night love I have.

NM -- already addressed.

She's Indian Indian, not Native American. Also, to a PP, there is quite a large population of Muslims in India. It's not all Hindu.

That said, the comments make me rage-y. Very rage-y. Americans come from a variety of ethnic backgrounds. We are not a white nation, nor a Christian nation. So what if someone from Indian descent won the crown? You just can't fix stupid. You can't.

True on the Muslims in INdia, but she is known to be a HIndu, at least according to news reports I read earlier today-- could be wrong, I guess.

True on the Muslims in INdia, but she is known to be a HIndu, at least according to news reports I read earlier today-- could be wrong, I guess.

I thought (worngly) that you were saying all Indians are Hindu, but I didn't know it was known that she was indeed Hindu.

Even if she were Muslim, that would still not make her an Arab (not aimed at you Salex, but at the ignorant folks who think brown skin = arab).

It doesn't really matter what she is or isn't or what people are accusing her of. The racism is evident in the fact that a nonwhite woman won and people are freaking out. Full stop.

This is the most publicity Miss America has had since Heather Whitestone. The Miss America pageant should choose a beautiful, blonde, woman from "The Heartland" next year, but should be an out and proud lesbian. A Lesbian Miss America in 2015!

Just saw the reports of racist tweets about the new Miss America. It's pretty obvious that some people have no filters. I suspect many more than what is seen on tweeter agree with those sentiments but don't do twitter. The racist twitter comments represent the racist, ignorant younger, more tech-suave crowd.

I think the racist comments are divided into a few parts:

1. people who complain she's not white

2. people who complain that she's not "American" (non-English name, immigrant parents)

3. people who complain that she's too Arab/Muslim looking----doesn't matter she's from India, some people think brown and not from this hemisphere must mean Muslim --> terrorist

4. people who make fun of her because she's Indian (jokes about looking like a gas station clerk etc

I chalk those opinions up to people who've never gotten out of their little town they live in. I've met people from places where they've never interacted with nonwhites, or with recent immigrants (as in first or second generation), or with nonChristians. Despite a lack of diversity, they also try to stay ill-informed, getting their news from commentators on Fox News and Rush Limbaugh. They end up with this idea that nonChristian, nonWhites must all be terrorists or welfare recipients or simply people that could never be "Americans". It's partly rooted in ignorance, and partly in the innate racism that some people have.

The bottom line is there are people who have an idea of beauty and what constitutes "Miss America", and to them, it's someone who looks white, blonde, small town, "wholesome"....you know, the reason people were passing out memes about Miss Kansas was the "real" Miss America. It's a non-subtle jab that the woman who won did not "look" like them.

Archived