IGNORED

Most Over Used Fundie Words or Phrases

infooverload

Sweet; precious

Encouragement

Discipling

Training

Public school (only because they discuss it more than anyone except people who actually work at public schools)

God worked on my heart

Die to self

Ooh! And "government schools," I've never heard a non -fundie say that, which might be why it bugs me so much.

Also "flesh," (not literal flesh but as in a "sins of the flesh'" type way, "the enemy" (I think this means the devil? Never totally sure), and "trust"--as in "I'm trusting The Lord about that"--i.e. "I'm not doing shit."

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In their interminably looong prayers, it's "Father God" this and "Father God" that, over and over. I'm guessing God gets tired of hearing his name over and over. I sure do. And then it's not a real prayer unless you say "in Jesus' name, we pray. Amen" at the end.

It has been a long time since I've beein in church, but yes, sometimes I think they are just trying to see how many times they can work it into a prayer.

I never got the point of praying out loud anyway.

It has been a long time since I've beein in church, but yes, sometimes I think they are just trying to see how many times they can work it into a prayer.

I never got the point of praying out loud anyway.

It always seemed sort of like filler to me, like something to give people a pause to think of what they were going to say next, akin to "like" or "um."

Aaaaand the winner in the Ickiest Fundie Phrase Ever category is...

*opens envelope*

...Doug Phillips, for "Fathers Wooing Their Daughters"! Doug is on a manly, sweaty romp and can't be here with us tonight, so accepting the Jingy for him is Timmy the Unpaid, Ill-Nourished Intern. Come on down, Timmy, if you have the strength!

Saying you are going to "bless" someone with something you do for them, seems pompous. I can understand telling someone they have been a blessing to you or saying that God blessed you. How do you know you've "blessed" someone? Maybe they wish you'd leave them alone.

Also this "Father God" is just creepy and I don't know why, it just seems cringe worthy.

Ooh! And "government schools," I've never heard a non -fundie say that, which might be why it bugs me so much.

Also "flesh," (not literal flesh but as in a "sins of the flesh'" type way, "the enemy" (I think this means the devil? Never totally sure), and "trust"--as in "I'm trusting The Lord about that"--i.e. "I'm not doing shit."

My friends who are hardcore libertarians and homeschooling attachment parents also say "government schools." Just another way that all forms of extremism loop back around onto each other in the end.

Spirit of discernment

[blank] is a true test of your faithfulness

Satan is at work

Crisis of faith

Accountability {partner}

"...there's no mention of personal time in the bible"

it's all about relationships

The flesh is weak

Idols

Of the world

Aaaaand the winner in the Ickiest Fundie Phrase Ever category is...

*opens envelope*

...Doug Phillips, for "Fathers Wooing Their Daughters"! Doug is on a manly, sweaty romp and can't be here with us tonight, so accepting the Jingy for him is Timmy the Unpaid, Ill-Nourished Intern. Come on down, Timmy, if you have the strength!

:lol: There totally needs to be a Jingies awards ceremony. Imagine the bedazzled frumpers on the red carpet!

:lol: There totally needs to be a Jingies awards ceremony. Imagine the bedazzled frumpers on the red carpet![/quote]

And imagine the speeches. I can see Doug Phillips pulling a Brando and sending a tearful Lourdes Torres in phony "Indian" garb; Rick Santorum storming out of the venue when Kelly Crawford defends herself against the "Romanist hoodlums" who are protesting outside; Jasmine Baucham hoping that she'll be a "credit to my race"; and ecstatic two-time winner Scott Brown exclaiming, "They fellowship with me! They really, really fellowship with me!"

(Edited to change "hooligans" to "hoodlums." Sorry, Vanessa.)

That would be awesome! :)

What kind of awards should there be?

Best Godly Seed Dispenser (Peter Bradrick), Best Neo-Confederate (Justin Turley), Best Breeder (Kelly Bradrick), Best Blogger Who Hasn't Blogged in Years (Carmon Friedrich), Best Douchebag (Perry Coughlan), Best Libertarian Fanatic (Pa Seppi), Best Sodomite Hater (Tim Bayly)...

As far as the statuette, since Vision Forum's looks like a grown man grinding his crotch into the back of a male child, perhaps ours could be a kid holding his "mentor" at arms length. Kind of like the Heisman.

Best Performance of Obsession With Other People’s Sex Lives (Stacy McDonald)

Best Performance of “It’s On! It’s Off! It’s On Again!!†(Lina and Taliban Tony)

Best Performance of Squicky Daddy-Worship (The Botkinettes)

Best Performance by a Tool: Doug Phillips

I don't like "to have a peace about such and such".

It was sad when Kendalyn described her father's use of it; he told her he didn't want her to consider going to medical school, and that she should give up the idea because there was no way he would allow her to do it. Except that he balked at saying it plainly, and instead he made it sound all passive aggressive by claiming that he just "didn't have a peace" about it. Kendalyn parrots this justification, years later, as if she has willed herself to believe it over the plainer observation that maybe her dad was just being an arsehole.

I think "having a caution" is another way of saying that one doesn't have a peace. Can't think of an example, but I know I've read it somewhere. Again, so clumsy sounding! I hate typing it!

I also get annoyed with any "flesh" talk (punish the flesh, the flesh is weak, etc.). Another irritating fundie phrase is "the fruit of God's word." I've usually seen it used in the context of how corporal punishment works, such as "We used the plumbing line on our kids until they started to obey; now they are bearing the fruit of God's word." YUCK.

As far as the statuette, since Vision Forum's looks like a grown man grinding his crotch into the back of a male child, perhaps ours could be a kid holding his "mentor" at arms length. Kind of like the Heisman.

:lol: :clap:

Some of the fundie preachers on TV say they have "a word of knowledge" about some issue or idea. Needless to say the implication is that the "word of knowledge" comes from God. They must think it sounds classier than "I just pulled this out of my ass."

I'm not sure it is as common as it once was, mostly because I don't hear as many prayers in groups as I once did--but the use of "just" throughout a prayer wears on me....(as in only/merely mixed in with the other many reasons)

"Lord we just want to praise you "

"Lord just hear our prayer" "lord, we just want to pray for suzee's cancer and we just know that you will just heal her and hold her in the palm of your hand. And, just a last thing, we just want you to do what is just--just that."

My mom and I went to a Methodist church while camping in Montana, and the pastor littered his prayers with "Lord, we just want to." After we left I said to Mom, "He wasn't raised Methodist-- I would bet he grew up fundie." She said, "Yeah, I'm pretty sure you're right. He's got the fundie prayer twitch."

It's stalling. It's a logical effect of believing that in order to pray truly, one can't have anything written down or memorized. But relying on very tired tropes and approved versions of "um" and "like" is just fine.

Other than ^ that, my least favorites are "servant's heart" and "burden."

Re: the "servant's heart, why not say, "Celeste, our middle daughter, gets such visible joy out of helping others that it warms my heart. I believe that her compassion will make whatever people share her life, in work and at home, very lucky indeed"? Oh, that's right: if you let your children know you admire how they conduct themselves, you'll encourage pride and works-righteousness. :disgust:

I cannot even with "burden for X." I'm okay with the concept of being called or prompted to do something by one's conscience (or even by God, since I'm a theist). I understand feeling that a desire to do something useful comes from somewhere outside oneself. But the word "burden" makes it seem as if you're viewing the people or cause you're helping as a pain in your ass. WHAT A GREAT SACRIFICE I'M MAKING, Y'ALL.

Re: the "servant's heart, why not say, "Celeste, our middle daughter, gets such visible joy out of helping others that it warms my heart. I believe that her compassion will make whatever people share her life, in work and at home, very lucky indeed"? Oh, that's right: if you let your children know you admire how they conduct themselves, you'll encourage pride and works-righteousness. :disgust:

I figured this thing out way back in the '70s, the first time I overheard someone talking about "getting convicted of his/her sins." Using plain language like "realizing I needed to make amends for the bad things I did" or "loving to help others" doesn't give the speaker/writer that all-important Christian[tm][/tm] stamp. The jargon is all about advertising to the "right" people that "I'm one of YOU, not one of THEM."

And, RachelB, you make an excellent point: This jargon is not only self-identifying, but limiting. "Having a servant's heart" reeks of self-sacrifice without hope of self-esteem, and boxes the "servant" into a role,

Archived