IGNORED

Most Over Used Fundie Words or Phrases

infooverload

These are my "favorites"

N (insert name here) has been such a blessing to me (N is my good friend)

Waiting on God's time (I'm not going to do it)

Praying for discernment (I disagree with you but haven't thought of a better idea)

Let's commit it to prayer (It's never going to happen)......

Fantastic :lol:

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
":8kvmto18]"purposed" makes me nuts :pull-hair:

"set-apart" makes me think that they've missed the entire point of the Gospels

"convicted" makes me think they're headed for the pen

I find the use of "purposed" annoying but it is indeed an actual verb. But I only see fundies use it.

"convicted" does me think me think of going to jail, orange jumpsuits, chains, and I have to remind myself to substitute the word "convinced".

Ones. At first I thought this was a Duggar thing, as in, "Sometimes the big ONES will do this while the little ONES do that." Then I heard David Waller say it on one of his videos. I don't remember the exact context, but he was talking about how "The ONES who play music..."

Re. Help-meet and Helpmeet: If you are a nerd like me you'll enjoy this article. Apparently it is all Dryden's fault, although Tennyson and Wordsworth were naughty boys too. http://blog.oup.com/2009/01/helpmeet/

"Desire" is a word much overused by the Maxwells. I can see "a desire for knowledge" and even "a desire for the Lord" but I don't desire to purchase their products or desire to have a cup of tea. I desire my spouse -- come to think of it "A Desire for the Lord" would be a great title for a Barbara Cartland novel or similar bodice ripper. :twisted:

Otherwise I think all my pet peeve Fundie words have been mentioned by others.

Coveting prayers. Did they not make an idol of the 10 commandments and learn not to covet?

Prayer Warrior...I don't think that one has been mentioned yet. Who do they think they are, little ninjas for god??

I don't think that is confined to fundie circles because I've seen conservative Christians use it. I would say they view themselves as warriors against the modern world and by praying they are waging a battle. Anybody else have any insight?

Prayer Warrior...I don't think that one has been mentioned yet. Who do they think they are, little ninjas for god??

2289404010_622302d072_m.jpg

There's a Lego for everything. :)

In their interminably looong prayers, it's "Father God" this and "Father God" that, over and over. I'm guessing God gets tired of hearing his name over and over. I sure do. And then it's not a real prayer unless you say "in Jesus' name, we pray. Amen" at the end.

2289404010_622302d072_m.jpg

There's a Lego for everything. :)

That is AWESOME! There really is a Lego for anything. I think we need some prayer warrior Lego men. lol

"Prayer warrior" always makes me think of Marguerite Perrin of Trading Spouses:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Un-Ub-otoNc

I won't post the whole video here since it's pretty long, but it's good if you haven't seen it.

I roll my eyes every time a plain old get-together is called fellowshipping. Just once say that you were visiting with friends, okay?

Servant's heart really bugs me because it's almost always used for girls/women. Funny how that works.

Headship and helpmeet used to annoy me, but they're just funny now that so many FJers have sarcastically appropriated them.

Hmm. Now I'm wondering what headshipping might entail... Can I find out by pressing the submit button...?

In their interminably looong prayers, it's "Father God" this and "Father God" that, over and over. I'm guessing God gets tired of hearing his name over and over. I sure do. And then it's not a real prayer unless you say "in Jesus' name, we pray. Amen" at the end.

I'm not sure it is as common as it once was, mostly because I don't hear as many prayers in groups as I once did--but the use of "just" throughout a prayer wears on me....(as in only/merely mixed in with the other many reasons)

"Lord we just want to praise you "

"Lord just hear our prayer" "lord, we just want to pray for suzee's cancer and we just know that you will just heal her and hold her in the palm of your hand. And, just a last thing, we just want you to do what is just--just that."

Sweet; precious

Encouragement

Discipling

Training

Public school (only because they discuss it more than anyone except people who actually work at public schools)

God worked on my heart

Die to self

Someone I went through school with is using Prayer Warrior. Along with how she is so blessed that her son-in-law is a Godly man. She posts prayers that begin with Father God. She "loves on" her grand kids. The thing that gets me is she was so different, decades ago, in school. Any pictures she posts of herself she dresses mainstream but her thoughts are definitely in the Fundy camp.

nobody has mentioned the ubiquitous "neat"?

Father God is a bit odd, but nowhere near as offputting as Daddy God, which I see everywhere. Ugh, just..no. Too reminiscent of the Daddy/little BDSM dynamic. no no no.

Courtenay of Women Living Well signs off with "Walk with the King".

I'm not sure it is as common as it once was, mostly because I don't hear as many prayers in groups as I once did--but the use of "just" throughout a prayer wears on me....(as in only/merely mixed in with the other many reasons)

"Lord we just want to praise you "

"Lord just hear our prayer" "lord, we just want to pray for suzee's cancer and we just know that you will just heal her and hold her in the palm of your hand. And, just a last thing, we just want you to do what is just--just that."

This annoys me more than any other bit of fundie-speak, because my brother in law prays like this All. The. Time. He's more fundie-lite than full-on fundie--his daughters are 'real' college graduates, and his wife has a career (working for the government, of all things! :o )--but he's very much a patriarchal, Promise Keepin', fundie-speakin' kinda guy. And every other word out of his mouth when he says grace at any of our family get-togethers is 'just.' Drives me nuts. :angry-banghead:

It's an instant tell that a church is not for me. It seems to go hand in hand with conservative/fundie Baptist churches.

My best friend calls them "Father-we-just" churches. We were both raised Catholic and she's Episcopalian now, but her mom remarried a few years ago and converted to Church of Christ, and her congregation is a big offender. ("Father-we-just" churches do seem to all be conservative Christian/non-denominational types.) "Father we just ask that you look down on us..." "Father we just ask you to bless us..." "Father we just want to thank you..." When I've eaten dinner or spent time with her family, I have to work hard to suppress giggles when someone prays.

Archived