IGNORED

The Maxwells are coming to town!

polecat

titus2.com/inspire-conference/belleville-illinois.html

So the question is, should I go? D'ya think the Arndts might go? Should I take pics and live-tweet the insanity?

Yes, no and yes!

It is like Christmas and birthdays all rolled into one!

If you go, don't tell FJ beforehand, don't say what you'll be wearing or doing while you're there, and most importantly don't make the Maxwells uncomfortable or do anything that might be construed as harassment. Doing what Palimpsest did is fine, and I'd be interested to read your report because I find the Maxwells fascinating.

I hope both of you are making your comments in jest, given the situation on another thread. If not, STFU.

gustava, to which thread do you refer? TIA

The host church has ministries to pre-schoolers and acknowledges the existence of high schools and colleges (to whose students they also provide ministries). Pretty un-Maxwellian place. One wonders if Stevehovah is taking any gig that is offered .... and also, one wonders who at the church thought that inviting Maxhell into their auditorium was a good idea.

bellevillefirst.net/index.php?page=weekly-announcement-video

Of course we could also point out that once again, Stevehovah's leading the sales effort holy charge into a church which is not a family group led by the patriarch, but he's done that before.

What's really interesting is that one of the church's family-dinner nights has a menu that includes French fries. I doubt any Maxwell child other than the non-reversals have ever eaten one of those greasily delightful sticks.

Also, there's not a whisper of the conference on the church's website's calendar. This tells me the church might be renting/loaning their auditorium to whoever invited the Maxwells to go eastward.

One last comment - the INSPIRE! flyer tells families they may bring their own meals or eat at any one of a number of fast-food places nearby. Strikes me as hypocritical, since the Maxes are all about low- or no-fat foods and small portions, but dismissively (IMHO) they list a bunch of fast-food restaurants nearby; it's like saying, "Go ahead, get your kids some fatburgers from the dollar menu, save your money for the Maxwell INSPIRE! Conference Book And DVD Table, huzzah!!!" :music-tool:

I'm always curious because IIRC the first FJite to report on a Maxwell conference attended one at a non-denominational lending library supported by an association of right-wing, fundamentalist Christian home-schooling families. Given Steve's disdain for organized religion outside the home, it's intriguing to see where his sales pitchesconferences are held/hosted.

titus2.com/inspire-conference/belleville-illinois.html

So the question is, should I go? D'ya think the Arndts might go? Should I take pics and live-tweet the insanity?

Be prepared for signs and cops prohibiting you.

I hope both of you are making your comments in jest, given the situation on another thread. If not, STFU.

Well, considering I am not reading every comment on every thread, could you explain instead of being a complete asshole?

Well, considering I am not reading every comment on every thread, could you explain instead of being a complete asshole?

Reader's Digest version: FMJ talked about plans to go to the Duggar garage sale in mid-August, complete with description of how she might be dressed and the fact that she'd have her baby and a friend with her. She had a spy pen somewhere on her person and had talked with several of the family before 3 cops approached her; there were accusations that she was harassing the family, that she was not a good mom for having her baby out in the sun, and her spy pen was confiscated, though she was told it would be mailed back to her. She has a court date w/r/t the incident, apparently.

Money is on TLC as the complainant who sicced the popo on her.

So gustava's caution about shutting up, however inelegantly put, is certainly worth considering!!!

ETA: Would Stevehovah or the conference organizers (who probably are not directly affiliated with the AOG church venue) call the cops on somebody like polecat? Probably not, Belleville's a pretty busy place for the law.

However, look at the photos of the Maxwell family. Those are not small men; more to the point, recall that at the library-venue Maxsell event, the FJ'er observed several large, backwoodsy men and their adolescent-sized sons; plus, IIRC there was a polite, suit-wearing man who was pretty insistent on the FJ'er using the correct terms when they spoke about the library (I remember now: he corrected her that they were not "in business," but "providing a ministry" or some such).

These people seriously think that as patriarchs they have a right to defend their families and way of life, which is fine, but they also will be in the majority against anybody they perceive as a threat.

ITA with gustava, if you're gonna go, do it. But tell us about it after the fact.

I mean, y'know, *ahem ahem*, I told nobody I was going to crash a certain wedding, I just *did* it, and unless they caught my image on those photos of the rows of attendees, the Serven-Loomii wouldn't recognize me today if I showed up with gifties for Nimmers and Patience Justine, or whatever the little headband-wearer's name is... :whistle:

I have no idea what's going on in any other thread, and I was legitimately invited to this event because I am a member of several local home schooling groups in this area. I don't understand the hostility, but w/e.

Reader's Digest version: FMJ talked about plans to go to the Duggar garage sale in mid-August, complete with description of how she might be dressed and the fact that she'd have her baby and a friend with her. She had a spy pen somewhere on her person and had talked with several of the family before 3 cops approached her; there were accusations that she was harassing the family, that she was not a good mom for having her baby out in the sun, and her spy pen was confiscated, though she was told it would be mailed back to her. She has a court date w/r/t the incident, apparently.

Money is on TLC as the complainant who sicced the popo on her.

So gustava's caution about shutting up, however inelegantly put, is certainly worth considering!!!

ETA: Would Stevehovah or the conference organizers (who probably are not directly affiliated with the AOG church venue) call the cops on somebody like polecat? Probably not, Belleville's a pretty busy place for the law.

However, look at the photos of the Maxwell family. Those are not small men; more to the point, recall that at the library-venue Maxsell event, the FJ'er observed several large, backwoodsy men and their adolescent-sized sons; plus, IIRC there was a polite, suit-wearing man who was pretty insistent on the FJ'er using the correct terms when they spoke about the library (I remember now: he corrected her that they were not "in business," but "providing a ministry" or some such).

These people seriously think that as patriarchs they have a right to defend their families and way of life, which is fine, but they also will be in the majority against anybody they perceive as a threat.

ITA with gustava, if you're gonna go, do it. But tell us about it after the fact.

I mean, y'know, *ahem ahem*, I told nobody I was going to crash a certain wedding, I just *did* it, and unless they caught my image on those photos of the rows of attendees, the Serven-Loomii wouldn't recognize me today if I showed up with gifties for Nimmers and Patience Justine, or whatever the little headband-wearer's name is... :whistle:

Well damn.

1. I have pretty severe social anxiety, so the odds of me talking to anyone I don't actually know are pretty slim. However, I will know people here, but I was mostly interested in what the Maxwells would have to say. I absolutely would NOT take my children or subject them to this.

2. Spy pen? No. It's just not all that important to me.

3. I'd love to see the Belle Vegas popo GAS about a non-fundy attending an event to which they have been explicitly invited. Particularly if they are not being disruptive AND know multiple people there therefore have a definite veneer of legitimacy.

Sorry, but this is as dumb as fuck. Even if you didn't know having a "spy pen" (and WTF is this, Get Smart?) was illegal, why would you think it was ETHICAL? Or smart or respectful and on and on? There are many fundies who truly turn my stomach but I still wouldn't show up and try to put one over on them because I'd only be proving their point. Showing up at someone's home with a fucking spy cam? Really? For what purpose? If you want to mock, there's more than enough material out there already. Bragging rights? Get a fucking life. I don't care if I sound hand-slappy, but this really crosses a line.

Throughout my life, I've attended many lectures and presentations given by people whose views are both diametrically opposed to and completely in line with my own and in every instance, I've been respectful and learned something. I'm truly interested in the Maxwells because their philosophy and beliefs baffle me and I really want to try to understand where they're coming from and where they think we're headed. I wouldn't hesitate for a second to go to one of their conferences if my schedule permitted (and sadly, it didn't when the passed through Connecticut). Nor would I hesitate to ask a question (if they entertained them) or to engage any of them in polite conversation (and this public-school educated woman could more than hold her own, thank you), but I would not confront, mock, clandestinely tape them or otherwise harass them because it's just wrong, IMO. Do I snark here? Yes, because it's an appropriate forum. In person on their territory? Not so much.

I find it interesting that they have so few days filled up. Half the days in September are still open and almost all of October. Their brand of crazy is becoming increasingly unpopular.

I have no idea what's going on in any other thread, and I was legitimately invited to this event because I am a member of several local home schooling groups in this area. I don't understand the hostility, but w/e.

To be fair, you didn't say in your original post that you were invited to the conference. I say go to it and report back to FJ (I'm sure many will be interested to read it, including me), but be careful at the event.

To be fair, you didn't say in your original post that you were invited to the conference. I say go to it and report back to FJ (I'm sure many will be interested to read it, including me), but be careful at the event.

I tend to be one of those people who assumes the best of others, so if I'd read that someone was considering going to an event, I would think they were going merely as interested onlookers rather than with the intention of harassing other participants via spy cameras and taking pics of minor kids. I also had no idea whatsoever of a kerfuffle at a Duggar event. And ftr, I really WAS joking about tweeting, but I would have probably shared my experiences. However, that's obviously not a good idea since it's apparently quite a sore point.

Maybe asking questions or linking to the other controversy -- as someone else did -- would have been better responses than just STFU!!!!!1111eleventy.

But hey, tjm.

I don't think reporting afterward is a problem to anyone or maybe only an extremely small group here. Personally I see nothing wrong with that. It's no different than reporting on any speech, sermon, or other such event to me.

I can't go heckle or confront people and won't cheer on anyone who does but I'm not going to get out a flamethrower at them either.

Sorry, but this is as dumb as fuck. Even if you didn't know having a "spy pen" (and WTF is this, Get Smart?) was illegal, why would you think it was ETHICAL? Or smart or respectful and on and on? There are many fundies who truly turn my stomach but I still wouldn't show up and try to put one over on them because I'd only be proving their point. Showing up at someone's home with a fucking spy cam? Really? For what purpose? If you want to mock, there's more than enough material out there already. Bragging rights? Get a fucking life. I don't care if I sound hand-slappy, but this really crosses a line.

Throughout my life, I've attended many lectures and presentations given by people whose views are both diametrically opposed to and completely in line with my own and in every instance, I've been respectful and learned something. I'm truly interested in the Maxwells because their philosophy and beliefs baffle me and I really want to try to understand where they're coming from and where they think we're headed. I wouldn't hesitate for a second to go to one of their conferences if my schedule permitted (and sadly, it didn't when the passed through Connecticut). Nor would I hesitate to ask a question (if they entertained them) or to engage any of them in polite conversation (and this public-school educated woman could more than hold her own, thank you), but I would not confront, mock, clandestinely tape them or otherwise harass them because it's just wrong, IMO. Do I snark here? Yes, because it's an appropriate forum. In person on their territory? Not so much.

I of course have a different line in the sand. But my confrontation wasn't hidden or secret. i didn't pretend at any moment to be someone or something other than I am not. I don't mind infiltration and pretending to be fundy to see how it goes, but that just wasn't me. Please don't compare a spy camera to confrontation. Those things are way, way different.

I of course have a different line in the sand. But my confrontation wasn't hidden or secret. i didn't pretend at any moment to be someone or something other than I am not. I don't mind infiltration and pretending to be fundy to see how it goes, but that just wasn't me. Please don't compare a spy camera to confrontation. Those things are way, way different.

I don't think a spy cam and a confrontation are in any way similar and I don't think I implied that they were. A spy cam (unless you're, oh, an actual SPY) in a venue like a Maxwell conference or a freaking Duggar yard sale is sneaky and underhanded and any kind of back-tracking or pearl-clutching after fact ("but I didn't knoooooow I was doing something wrong...") is just self-serving CYA whining, as far as I'm concerned. (Especially since she basically showed up with a neon sign over her head and then acted all surprised that people where on the lookout. SURPRISE!) It makes one no better than the paps who hound celebrities and their kids, go through their trash, tail them as their driving and so on. You can visit, engage and ask questions without resorting to underhanded tactics.

Confrontation, while not my style, is above-board--nothing underhanded about it, unless you mislead or intentionally provoke your target before you confront them. Personally, I disagreed with your decision to confront Steve because ultimately I think it probably reinforced his teachings and fears of outsiders rather than sowed seeds of doubt or curiosity in the children. But I respect that we have differing opinions on this and I respect the fact that you approached him honestly. I can in no way respect someone who takes a spy device to an event, especially one involving children (regardless of whether or not she "only" spoke to the older kids), because I simply can't think of one good reason to do so, other than to try to get one over on the Duggars.

I don't think a spy cam and a confrontation are in any way similar and I don't think I implied that they were. A spy cam (unless you're, oh, an actual SPY) in a venue like a Maxwell conference or a freaking Duggar yard sale is sneaky and underhanded and any kind of back-tracking or pearl-clutching after fact ("but I didn't knoooooow I was doing something wrong...") is just self-serving CYA whining, as far as I'm concerned. (Especially since she basically showed up with a neon sign over her head and then acted all surprised that people where on the lookout. SURPRISE!) It makes one no better than the paps who hound celebrities and their kids, go through their trash, tail them as their driving and so on. You can visit, engage and ask questions without resorting to underhanded tactics.

Confrontation, while not my style, is above-board--nothing underhanded about it, unless you mislead or intentionally provoke your target before you confront them. Personally, I disagreed with your decision to confront Steve because ultimately I think it probably reinforced his teachings and fears of outsiders rather than sowed seeds of doubt or curiosity in the children. But I respect that we have differing opinions on this and I respect the fact that you approached him honestly. I can in no way respect someone who takes a spy device to an event, especially one involving children (regardless of whether or not she "only" spoke to the older kids), because I simply can't think of one good reason to do so, other than to try to get one over on the Duggars.

Wait I've been only vaguely following this malarkey. So it was not a public event like a book signing or some Murderous Violin recital? It was their home?

Had no idea. What on earth IS a spy pen? Why would you even have one unless you are MI6 or a geeky tech type. What on earth was this person gonna do? Have some super revealing conversation with a Duggar where they admit ....whatever? I don't get it. Take your phone, get some pics and tell folks if Michelle looks pregnant.

How very strange indeed.

Spy pens are pretty cheap and easy to get. You can find them at most electronics stores in the U.S. and many discount department stores. My son has one, and he chases the cat around and films her. The video quality's not so hot on some of them from what I've seen.

Archived