IGNORED

Australian Election.

OkToBeTakei

G'day Aussie FJers.

Can you give me some thoughts, opinions on your new PM?

Carbon tax?

Increased parental leave?

Gay marriage?

Lessons to be learned by the rest of the World the US and EU in particular, perhaps. Why has Australia not suffered an economic recession in over 20 years? :think:

We haven't suffered a true recession since the early 90s because we are obsessed with a budget surplus & we have lots of valuable minerals.

I voted for Tone, i'm very pleased.

We're rolling in cash (relatively) because we're selling great lumps of dirt to China. On the down side, cost of living has gone through the roof.There's been a couple of good articles on the Beeb in the past week or so.

IMO, the new PM is a creep, even worse than the last one (and that's saying something).

I'm off to drown my sorrows that the state of politics in this place has come to this point. (not that they weren't shit last month, or last year, it's just come into sharper focus for me seeing the platforms of my local candidates today)

G'day Aussie FJers.

Can you give me some thoughts, opinions on your new PM?

Carbon tax?

Increased parental leave?

Gay marriage?

Lessons to be learned by the rest of the World the US and EU in particular, perhaps. Why has Australia not suffered an economic recession in over 20 years? :think:

To address your specific points:

Carbon tax - not likely, we'll get an "emissions trading scheme" instead. Likely difference for the average Australian is minimal, but the Libs can say they did away with Labor's "Great Big New Tax".

We'll get universal maternity leave, which will overwhelmingly favour wealthier mothers who will be paid their actual wage for a year. SAHMs and low income mums will be paid minimum wage for a year. Better than nothing, but in my opinion a very expensive form of middle class welfare. In my opinion the federal government should give every mother a years leave at minimum wage and require employers to pay the difference between minimum wage and the woman's actual income.

Gay marriage - won't be federally recognised even though most Liberal voters agree that it should be, cause Abbott only retained leadership through the support of our version of the religious right. Makes me ashamed to be a liberal voter.

I do think its important that people remember that Tony Abbott is not the Liberal Party and will not be able to implement his own personal Catholic agenda. He will be answerable to his party room, which is made up of many moderates as well as more conservative members.

Bring on the leadership challenge Malcolm!

I was pondering what the labor losses would have been if Malcolm had challenged the leadership early in 2012. Tony was probably the least favourite Howard cabinet member, yet he could win so squarely against Kevin.

I'm shocked by all the slander that is happening on FB. It was a democratic voting process, we all get a say & more people wanted the LNP than they did Labor. Having a slinging match & attacking people who have different views to you is really poor form.

I was pondering what the labor losses would have been if Malcolm had challenged the leadership early in 2012. Tony was probably the least favourite Howard cabinet member, yet he could win so squarely against Kevin.

I'm shocked by all the slander that is happening on FB. It was a democratic voting process, we all get a say & more people wanted the LNP than they did Labor. Having a slinging match & attacking people who have different views to you is really poor form.

It's been vicious. I'm appalled by some of it. The personal attacks are awful, and the people who are making them are the same people who cried "misogyny" every time there was a personal attack against Gillard.

Tony Abbot is not my favourite person, and I find his views on gender and reproductive rights and gay marriage abhorrent, but he's not the entire LNP and the party will not give him a blank slate to write his own policy agenda, he will be answerable to a diverse party room. As for his immigration policies, reactionary and disturbing as they are, the self proclaimed "soft hearts" of the ALP had policies were just as inhumane and populist.

Sorry for double post, just wanted to add that I firmly believe Turnbull would have done even better and gained a senate majority. Many many younger fiscal conservatives are socially small l liberal, and I know I'm not the only LNP voter who voted for them reluctantly with Abbot as leader.

I'm trying to find the YouTube of Malcolm's drunk interview with Annabel Crabb. I missed it last night and would love to see it, but I can't track it down.

I know that all of my Liberal voting friends in my age group as small l & would have preferred Malcolm. He is still in the party though & will probably be used a lot to win people over to the new government, as he was during the election campaign.

I'm just relieved that we will start paying off the debt & stop using money we don't have.

I'm glad KRudd is gone. I couldn't stand another term of his smug, narcissistic nonsense.

I voted for Libs. Tony's stance on gay marriage is problematic but his sister is in a long term gay relationship and he completely embraces that. It's just the actual marriage bit he won't support. But isn't he on record that if his party as a whole supports it, he will support it too? Falling back on the party preferred stance etc?

I'm in South Aus and our Independent, Nick Xenophon, outpolled Labour in the Senate. Speaks volumes about the general feeling here about the major parties. :)

I'm in South Aus and our Independent, Nick Xenophon, outpolled Labour in the Senate. Speaks volumes about the general feeling here about the major parties.

I love Nick Xenophon. I'm in NSW but I think he is one of the few people in Australian politics who honestly tries to do what he feels is right and in good conscience for the Australian people. I'm very happy he's sitting in the Senate.

I'll offer a dissenting opinion because I did vote Labor but have been a Liberal voter in the past- I'm definitely not someone who hates all LNP policies or votes blindly for a party.

Economically, although we are in debt now and although the Labor government did make some poor spending decisions, the spending was necessary for us to avoid a recession. While other economies (UK and the US) cut spending, we increased, which not only provided infrastructure and needed services for everyday people, but it also provided jobs. Say what you will about Gillard, she definitely wasn't a 'great' PM, but she also did damn well at passing through more bills than any PM before her (many of them good) while trying to work with a non-majority government.

I don't feel that either party offered good economic policy in this election campaign. I don't think our economy is 'on the brink' like many claim it to be. We're doing well. It could be better but I didn't think the Libs were offering a 'better' solution so my vote didn't rest on the economy.

I think the Paid Parental Scheme of Abbott's is a crock. The same people bitching about the economy and our spending advocated this. WE DON'T HAVE THE MONEY FOR IT. Like others said, it is a form of middle-class welfare that wasn't thought through IMO. It was a knee jerk policy to get women back onside.

I am actually not someone who supports the Carbon Tax. I think it creates a false economy and I don't think it takes appropriate steps to address climate change and it is detrimental to small business. Again, the Libs alternative is not too much different.

In the end, I did have to do a conscience vote this election. Topics of big importance to me were human rights policies- indigenous funding, asylum seekers, healthcare, education, marriage equality, and the environment (especially coal seam gas). Labor wasn't offering great alternatives on all of this but it was better than the Libs. I was honestly hoping that the Greens and Katter's Australia Party (who are active on the coal seam gas front) would get a few seats in the Senate to keep things from getting too awry. Although I realise that you're voting for the party and not the man, I don't think I could vote for a party led by Tony Abbott given his past history on topics such as abortion, women, immigration, the poor, and climate change. I realise there is a bigger picture to politics but I think there are underlying values that need to be stood up for consistently.

In short, I think Abbott and the LNP won't make a huge improvement to this country- to our national debt or to anything else. I'm embarrassed that this man is leading this country. I am more than happy to be proven wrong though. The people spoke, this is democracy, now I need to clam up and see what happens. I just want what's best for Australia.

Just to add- I hate Kevin Rudd almost equally. I really do. I had very little faith in the ALP as well. I don't think I've ever been so depressed about voting as I was this election...no matter which way it went, I wasn't going to consider it a 'win' for Australia.

In the end, I did have to do a conscience vote this election. Topics of big importance to me were human rights policies- indigenous funding, asylum seekers, healthcare, education, marriage equality, and the environment (especially coal seam gas). Labor wasn't offering great alternatives on all of this but it was better than the Libs. I was honestly hoping that the Greens and Katter's Australia Party (who are active on the coal seam gas front) would get a few seats in the Senate to keep things from getting too awry. Although I realise that you're voting for the party and not the man, I don't think I could vote for a party led by Tony Abbott given his past history on topics such as abortion, women, immigration, the poor, and climate change. I realise there is a bigger picture to politics but I think there are underlying values that need to be stood up for consistently.

With you on this. Ended up voting greens even though it won't have made one jot of difference. I couldn't bring myself to vote either Labor or Liberal because of their refugee policies. Liberal's NBN policy is also pretty problematic to me.

What really bothers me about all this talk of budget crisis / emergency from the liberals is that their spending cuts turned out to be so miniscule after all was said and done. If we're in such dire straits, why aren't they doing more? And if we're not in as much trouble economically as they're making out, why the need to cut foreign aid?

Happy to see Rudd gone though. Who do you all think will take on the leadership of Labor? I suppose Shorten is most likely.

What really bothers me about all this talk of budget crisis / emergency from the liberals is that their spending cuts turned out to be so miniscule after all was said and done. If we're in such dire straits, why aren't they doing more? And if we're not in as much trouble economically as they're making out, why the need to cut foreign aid?

Agreed. A foreseen surplus of $6 billion over 4 years...it's laughable. Especially considering they're not going to get exact costings until they've settled into their new role and work out exactly what's going on. I doubt we'll run a surplus for at least the first two years, if at all. We might not run as big of a deficit but I don't think the differences are going to be that dramatic unless they keep cutting things that are sorely needed (like blocking the increase in aged carers' pay that they snuck in there right before election day).

Well they're saying Shorten or Albanese. I dislike Shorten. Too involved in the unions and I think he's a political animal. I do think he is a better 'bridge' between the ALP and the LNP though, which might appeal to more voters next time round. I prefer Albanese. He's far from inspirational but I think he's shown more loyalty in all the infighting than most and he sits a bit closer to my own political leanings. He's also likeable so he might have more public appeal than I give him credit for.

Whichever way they go, they need to stick with a leader this time and the next leader should take them into the next election. We need some continuity in the ALP.

We are rolling in $$ (relative to most other countries) in part because in our collective mind we are in a BUDGET CRISIS and the country could be repossessed at any moment.

The cuts to foreign aid while giving paid parental leave to women earning up to $150k is embarrassing, especially given the plight of women in many of pacific nations which have relied on Australia's aid contributions... I feel bad for crapping on women who would benefit from an LNP policy but no high income earner needs that much financial government support.

I don't know if the rest of the world is aware that

also appears to have been elected to parliament. This is the man who hired young attractive (mostly blonde) promotional models to hand out 'how to vote' cards on election day, is building the titanic II and is transforming what used to be a lovely Hyatt resort and home of Australia's PGA tournament into a DINOSAUR PARK.

I'm glad Labor's out, but I couldn't bring myself to give the local Liberal my first preference, almost entirely because of the party's appalling stance on asylum seekers. I usually vote Liberal, but this time I voted independent and preferenced the Liberals. The race to the bottom on immigration policy in this campaign was disgraceful.

I don't know if the rest of the world is aware that

also appears to have been elected to parliament. This is the man who hired young attractive (mostly blonde) promotional models to hand out 'how to vote' cards on election day, is building the titanic II and is transforming what used to be a lovely Hyatt resort and home of Australia's PGA tournament into a DINOSAUR PARK.

He is a buffoon...but his party at least had some policies that weren't completely imbecilic. I'm all for more parties and view points in the Australian political landscape at the moment seeing as everyone seems to be in shambles. It's pretty funny that he got in though. I also think the fact that it's looking as though we'll have senators from the 'Motoring Enthusiasts Party' and the 'Sporting Party' or whatever it's called says a lot about the sad times this country is in. They obviously got in on donkey votes considering they have no policy. Disillusionment en masse has led us to a Senate with a balance of power going to a handful of tiny parties with no real ideology and the few independents and Palmer.

We need a new generation Don Chipp. He was the man. It makes me sad when I look at the sloppy mess the Democrats have become. My political leanings 100% fall into the category of 'social democrat' and I wish we had a functional party that represented them.

My earlier post wasn't clear. I voted for the local Lib on House of Reps. I'm in a blue ribbon Lib seat anyway. I voted for Nick X in the Senate. I've dealt with Nick personally years ago when he was a workers comp lawyer (I am in workers comp industry) and Nick was on "the other side". I always found him to be a man of his word, reliable, approachable, genuinely cares about the outcome etc. I have nothing bad to say about him as a person and this integrity shines through in his professional life.

I'm glad that Aine (posted above) in NSW doesn't think we're all mad for voting Nick in. it's good that he is appreciated elsewhere too.

As for Clive Palmer, or those weird minor parties in WA and Vic that got in, well heaven help us.

I was under the impression that the motoring and sports parties (and a number of others) had very low first preference votes but got through due to senate preferencing deals? I always intend to vote below the line in the senate and even if I look it up beforehand and kind of plan it out, when I get in there it is just too much.

It was due to preferencing but they're also saying that less people voted for the major parties in the Senate this year, which made preferencing more important than ever. I think that was largely due to disillusionment in general but I could be wrong.

I voted below the line this year...110 boxes in NSW. It was painful!

It was due to preferencing but they're also saying that less people voted for the major parties in the Senate this year, which made preferencing more important than ever. I think that was largely due to disillusionment in general but I could be wrong.

I voted below the line this year...110 boxes in NSW. It was painful!

I wanted to vote below the line, but with 110 candidates and kids tugging at my skirt wanting to get out to the fete and sausage sizzle their school was hosting for Election Day it wasn't going to happen.

We had 94 in Victoria. I wanted to go through them all, but I just went for the Liberals.

I'm glad that there are going to be some Greens senators & i'm glad that Katter & Palmer probably have their seats. Those two are both slightly mad, but they are also fairly unpredictable & will keep everybody on their toes.

I hope that Tony's time spent in Arnhem land & having Warren Mundine in his ear will pay off for Aboriginals. Its about time we stopped having people living in such desperate poverty in our country.

Slightly off topic, but I wonder what the likes of Sparkling Lauren do for elections. Some of them wouldn't be on the electoral roll, but the sparkly one used to be mainstream so would be registered to vote. I'd love to know what she uses for her address. Same as I wonder about her drivers license for that matter.

Slightly off topic, but I wonder what the likes of Sparkling Lauren do for elections. Some of them wouldn't be on the electoral roll, but the sparkly one used to be mainstream so would be registered to vote. I'd love to know what she uses for her address. Same as I wonder about her drivers license for that matter.

She's back in SE Queensland, so she could have voted if she wanted to. She probably voted Green.

She's back in SE Queensland, so she could have voted if she wanted to. She probably voted Green.

I wonder if she used to vote for Family First? :lol:

I wonder if she used to vote for Family First? :lol:

It wouldn't surprise me, she tends towards extremism. She didn't talk to her Dad for years after he came out, now he's her favourite parent and she writes gushing posts about his young partner.

Archived