IGNORED

When the Maxwells are out of town

SPHASH

Where is that post?

Can't remember. Don't even remember the posters name. It was a while ago, can't even remember if that thread was here or back when we were at yuku.

Maybe when Steve & Teri r away Melanie goes to her family houses to expose the kids to people who r less brainwashed. I do wonder when their kids get older will they question the difference between their 2 sets of grandparents.

Looking at their pictures, no matter what the activity, it's always the same. Always. The same smile and stiff poses. I actually hope Nathan and Chris can exercise a little independence when the rest of the family is gone but those posters who think that they are so brainwashed that being alone to do their own thing is terrifying are probably right. If anything, I can see Nathan breathing a bit of relief, maybe, but Chris? No way. He appears to have completely drunk the koolaid. Anna looks like a sweet person but she is used to this life; she was nearly raised like an Amish person and looks it (not a criticism but she does dress and look old fashioned). Melanie not so much; she was in the picture before Stevie sent his family completely down the rabbit hole plus her family is around and involved. At least she and Nathan have some normalcy with her family.

Maybe when Steve & Teri r away Melanie goes to her family houses to expose the kids to people who r less brainwashed. I do wonder when their kids get older will they question the difference between their 2 sets of grandparents.

The oldest child, Abby, can probably pick up on it now. Maybe Bethany can, too. They're old enough to figure out that when they go to Steve and Teri's house, there are a lot of no's and don'ts. If their parents are more uptight, they can pick up on that, too.

They probably sleep in, but beyond that, despite everybody here insisting that they're unhappy and want to escape, I'm sure they're just happy to go along in their daily routines.

I agree. They aren't unhappy. This is how they were brought up and with the married kids, it is how they are living their lives, too. They were tweens when Steve started going nuts and actually experienced normal stuff. I don't think any of these people are as unhappy or rebellious as others think. Fundies run into trouble when abuse is bad or they are exposed to the outside too much (which is why I bet the missionary Kellers have escapees)

I dont think the younger Maxwells even realise what they are missing. You cant miss what you never had, its like me saying that I miss my wings and tail. Theyre happy just the way they are. You could take a baby and raise them in a jail cell (or a small child who would eventually forget the outside world), fed only on bland and boring foods and with only a few simple toys, and they wouldnt be completely miserable as they would never realise that there are things out there like tasty foods, candy, TV, toys, grass and trees. Yes, its miserable to us, and its more likely to be miserable for the ones who are old enough to remember what life was like, but for the younger ones, like Mary, its all theyve ever known and they dont realise theyre missing out as theyre so isolated.

Christopher, I don't see doing anything. His wife is more conservative than his mother and his sisters, I'm guessing he follows Steve's dictates pretty closely.

Nathan might go out to a nice restaurant that serves alcohol. He probably wouldn't drink that alcohol, but he'd go there (Steve doesn't go to restaurants that serve alcohol).

Except they do. He went to Olive Garden once

Except they do. He went to Olive Garden once

Someone gave them gift cards, right?

Someone gave them gift cards, right?

Someone at one of the conferences gave them to Mary for her BD so they all went out eat.

Where is that post?

If you go onto their blog and on the right hand side click on Fitness under Categories you can see their posts about working out. As a personal trainer myself I admire them for keeping fit compared to say Smugger or Boob, or Davey doing a marathon with an injury. And their more traditional regime of press ups, lunges and dead lifts etc is pretty much in vogue at the moment as they engage multiple muscle groups and the core.

However one of Nate's posts, though I'm sure it was written by Stevie, states that they are not advocating gyms due to too defrauding attire, multiple BEASTS and music with a 'beat' - my gym Virgin Active ticks all those boxes thank goodness!!!1!! He could well belong to a more traditional independent gym which could be headships only, no BEASTS or what some would call 'rock' music????

Other fundies do use gyms such as the Manboys or the Wissmannss, and the later guys do not get their bodies from home workouts and digging irrigation dykes on their farm....

The Maxwells seem wealthy enough, I can imagine them buying their own gym equipment if they want.

I have an elliptical machine in my house, gym quality one even, it was a good purchase for me because I can "run" when the weather is crappy and also not hurt my congenitally horrible knees. No need to pay gym fees and I can just use it whenever, no need to look good, no need to get annoyed at someone else's TV choices (personally I just listen to news recorded from the radio).

Nathan is quite interested in fitness, though.

I know there are gyms (some chains, some one-offs) where their main appeal is that they're welcoming to older self-conscious people, sometimes explicitly only women. Though probably they still have TV.

If you go onto their blog and on the right hand side click on Fitness under Categories you can see their posts about working out. As a personal trainer myself I admire them for keeping fit compared to say Smugger or Boob, or Davey doing a marathon with an injury. And their more traditional regime of press ups, lunges and dead lifts etc is pretty much in vogue at the moment as they engage multiple muscle groups and the core.

However one of Nate's posts, though I'm sure it was written by Stevie, states that they are not advocating gyms due to too defrauding attire, multiple BEASTS and music with a 'beat' - my gym Virgin Active ticks all those boxes thank goodness!!!1!! He could well belong to a more traditional independent gym which could be headships only, no BEASTS or what some would call 'rock' music????

Other fundies do use gyms such as the Manboys or the Wissmannss, and the later guys do not get their bodies from home workouts and digging irrigation dykes on their farm....

I was talking about the co-workers post.

I wonder what would happen if Melanie or a Wissman female decided they would like to work out at a gym. I can't imagine that going down to well with their respective headships. No, woman are supposed to keep trim by chasing children and scrubbing floors and with a leisurely stroll around the block (preferably while praying).

The only females I know of who use a go to a gym are the seven sisters and their mother.

I was talking about the co-workers post.

I have no idea, I was just pointing out the Maxwells posts on fitness....

Whoever that was that wanted to read the Maxwell co-worker post, I think it was on here. I found this place by looking for Maxwell craziness, and I believe I found those posts on this forum, not Yuku.

I wonder what would happen if Melanie or a Wissman female decided they would like to work out at a gym. I can't imagine that going down to well with their respective headships. No, woman are supposed to keep trim by chasing children and scrubbing floors and with a leisurely stroll around the block (preferably while praying).

The only females I know of who use a go to a gym are the seven sisters and their mother.

One might think that Curves would be acceptable, in that it's women-only and some percentage of the profits got to support the radical anti-choice organization Operation Save America. Except that 1) it costs money, whereas doing pushups and jumping rope at home are free and 2)even the most minimal social contact with other women might take pieces of their hearts away from Steve. So, no, not acceptable at all.

One might think that Curves would be acceptable, in that it's women-only and some percentage of the profits got to support the radical anti-choice organization Operation Save America. Except that 1) it costs money, whereas doing pushups and jumping rope at home are free and 2)even the most minimal social contact with other women might take pieces of their hearts away from Steve. So, no, not acceptable at all.

I know of Orthodox gyms that either cater exclusively to one gender, or that have very strict separation as to when men or women have access to their facilities (to ensure that there is no chance of contact with people of the opposite sex). Some of these include swimming--modest swimwear only, of course--and various classes where women are able to exercise wearing "modest" attire, such as long-ish skirts with tights or leggings underneath them.

Archived