IGNORED

Wrap Your Frozen Meatballs in Canned Biscuits

nelliebelle1197

Without the Alfredo sauce, I would probably eat this.

But then, I am a weirdo. Velveeta is my favorite "cheese".

ETA: I don't like the texture of fresh green beans. I only eat canned ones. But like I said, I am a weirdo.

[whispering] I would eat this, too, but with red sauce. And I also like canned green beans... a lot. [/whispering]

My absolute most favorite food in the world is McDonald's hash browns, and I'd be happy eating scrambled eggs and some form of pasta just about every day. There are only two reasons I don't eat TTC-like junk all the time: I have gastro issues that won't allow it, and I already am a bit overweight and unwilling to gain more.

At the same time, I remember a Chateaubriand I had decades ago as probably the best thing I've ever tasted, and the most fitting word I can think of for an Ethiopian meal I had last year--washed down with some very nice honey wine--is "transcendent." I just love food--across the spectrum, from the sublime to the ridiculous.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Time for a coming out: I LURVE McD's Fish Burgers. I love them. One Filet-O-Fish menu per week, not less, not more, is what I need. Partner took a liking in them, too. We don't really eat fast or frozen food, but that one Fish menu is an absolute delight. I never liked McD's breakfast foods though. Now I haz teh hungerz...

Why can't you get tinned dough without all the muck? It would be really handy.

I can't find any kind of pre-made dough without artificial food coloring in it, because it's marketed to people who have never seen scratch dough and don't understand that it's supposed to be pale. The one pie crust manufacturer that sold good lardy dough just reformulated to add artificial color to make the dough look more browned. So now I have to learn how to make pie crust, dang it.

Re meatballs with grape jelly sauce, that's very Western actually: red meat with sweet and sour fruit-based sauce. I could quote a recipe for a spicy fruit sauce for meat that tastes a heck of a lot like grape jelly, from a 14th-century cookbook.

Okay, I'm not sticking up for fundies and their awful food, I swear. Still, I do have to step in for my wonderful frozen foods. There's a time and place for them.

I'm a student and I have (sometimes pretty severe) depression that leads to not wanting to get out of bed, let alone actually put in the time and effort to cook something and clean up after myself. I tried that. I'd end up so exhausted by the time I got everything finished, I'd just put it in a tupperware for later and go back to bed/the sofa hungry. Even if it's a good day, I can leave for class at 7AM and not get home till 5PM. Times like those, frozen dinners, or ramen, or anything pre-made by somebody that wasn't me is an absolute godsend. I can throw it in the oven or microwave and just sit down. It's glorious.

...That turned out much longer than I expected.

Where are y'all getting your frozen meatballs? I'm not opposed to convenience foods, but I've never been able to find a frozen meatball that's not the weird, salty and rubbery kind.

I think "douche" became an insult when medical evidence that douching is more harm than help became widely known. In addition, there's the feminist perspective that we shouldn't have to behave as if we were naturally so disgusting that we must douse every part of our bodies in perfume. So a douche is a person who dumps their opinions on other people all the time and makes trouble while pretending to helpful. A douchebag is an even more useless jerk and a douchecanoe is really working at it.

I'm amazed you understood my 'I'll have a brandy whilst making this pate' driven postings :lol:

It makes sense now and I kind of like it.

I've seriously been trying hard to think of any situation where I would use any type of white sauce on meatballs. Apart from Swedish meatballs I really can't think of any.

After seeing that picture I probably never will :lol:

Okay, I'm not sticking up for fundies and their awful food, I swear. Still, I do have to step in for my wonderful frozen foods. There's a time and place for them.

I'm a student and I have (sometimes pretty severe) depression that leads to not wanting to get out of bed, let alone actually put in the time and effort to cook something and clean up after myself. I tried that. I'd end up so exhausted by the time I got everything finished, I'd just put it in a tupperware for later and go back to bed/the sofa hungry. Even if it's a good day, I can leave for class at 7AM and not get home till 5PM. Times like those, frozen dinners, or ramen, or anything pre-made by somebody that wasn't me is an absolute godsend. I can throw it in the oven or microwave and just sit down. It's glorious.

Oh heck yeah! We stockpile frozen pizzas when they go on sale for $5 because when I'm too sick to cook, that's a hot meal that is still cheaper than eating out.

But the dish that inspired this thread is still nasty.

Where are y'all getting your frozen meatballs? I'm not opposed to convenience foods, but I've never been able to find a frozen meatball that's not the weird, salty and rubbery kind.

Trader Joe's

Oh, I agree, and I eat my fair share of frozen/convenience foods for similar reasons. I just don't think that my frozen Morningstar fake BBQ ribs are something I would post to a blog.

It's like when I watch Sandra Lee's semi-homemade show, or whatever it's called. My husband tells me that I've eaten store-bought icing and frozen pre-chopped veggies before, so isn't it hypocritical of me to make fun of Sandra? I tell him no because I don't have a damn cooking show. If you've got a cooking show, cook properly! :D

I've seriously been trying hard to think of any situation where I would use any type of white sauce on meatballs. Apart from Swedish meatballs I really can't think of any.

After seeing that picture I probably never will :lol:

I'm Italian. That dish looked disgusting.

This part cracked me up: "Not that you can’t enjoy meatballs at the Fourth of July cookout or a family reunion in June. But they just don’t seem to have the same warming, comforting effect as they do in the fall."

Some Italian Americans, myself included, make meatballs every Sunday at the crack of dawn because that's when the tomato sauce is made.

You don't have to explain yourself. There is nothing wrong with that. Anyone who thinks there is something wrong with that can suck it. I come from a heritage that is obsessed with food, and lots of us embrace some frozen foods or convenience foods. I have been cooking and baking from scratch for many years, and it's all done by eye. I don't use a measuring cup for anything, not even baking cakes or making dough. But it doesn't define who I am and it is no big deal. I have to laugh at people like Zsu who think it is a big deal to cook from scratch. One of her facebook posts had asterisks with "from scratch" on the bottom of the post as if it was a badge of honor. It's no big deal. It's also sad that she has nothing else to define herself with. Italian men and women have been doing this since before she was born and it comes as natural as breathing. If you like ramen noodles, then mangia and enjoy!

Growing up, we had so many freaking canned biscuits that I hope I never see another one. My dad wanted bread with every meal, but my mom thought making homemade biscuits was too much trouble. (Personally, I don't get that; if I can make them, anyone can; and it just takes one bowl.) So canned biscuits it was. In getting them done in the middle, they got too done on the outside. So we'd end up with an over-browned outer crust, and a facial-tissue-textured center in which to melt butter. Gack. I can probably thank my mother and her affinity for canned biscuits for ensuring that I'm no larger than I am, because I always let the biscuits pass me by at the dinner table.

On the completely oppisite end of the spectrum, I made kale chips for the first time a few days ago. They taste like 'junk' food but are full of vitamin A & C. Totally unprocessed (if you don't count olive oil). :character-oldtimer:

Recipe please?

The meatballs in biscuits doesn't sound too bad if you actually make your own meatballs and biscuits. Even I could handle that I'm hardly an expert chef.

The co-op by me has canned scones. They are not bad. I do like homemade ones more but these work when I want to be lazy.

I make my own frozen meatballs-- I buy the meat in bulk and make a whole awful lot of them, then freeze them in portions. They thaw and reheat just fine, and I know what's in 'em that way.

However, I do not go any further and wrap them in canned biscuit dough, nor do I pour slop all over them. Blech.

I tried canned scones once. Never again. It may have been the brand. Those things were NOT scones.

Speaking of scones, I had a different impression as to what scones where as a child. In Utah, scones usually are deep-fried dough. I now think of scones as a biscuit type item served at tea. Its interesting to see how people in different areas name things.

Trader Joe's

IKEA. The horse gives them a certain Je ne sais quoi.

I wonder if you could freeze sconebiscuit dough? Would the baking powder stay un-baked?

ETA: I don't like the texture of fresh green beans. I only eat canned ones. But like I said, I am a weirdo.

When one of my aunts moved here to the US from Italy, she thought that french style green beans in the can were the best invention on earth. You're not a weirdo. If you like them, then eat them. Everything in moderation is fine.

When one of my aunts moved here to the US from Italy, she thought that french style green beans in the can were the best invention on earth. You're not a weirdo. If you like them, then eat them. Everything in moderation is fine.

More food shame...I like canned french style green beans mixed with cream of mushroom soup. :embarrassed: It's what I grew up eating. We didn't put the french fried onions in though.

More food shame...I like canned french style green beans mixed with cream of mushroom soup. :embarrassed: It's what I grew up eating. We didn't put the french fried onions in though.

Well I'll tell ya. Nothing beats that green bean/cream of mushroom/french fried onion shit that's made on Thanksgiving. It's orgasmic.

Archived