IGNORED

Religion in schools

SpeakNow

I teach at a public high school in Tennessee. When I came to school this morning, I saw this poster in the hall.

post-2225-14451998176531_thumb.jpg

This just kind of annoys me. I feel like it's promoting Christianity and shouldn't happen. I'm not even totally sure how legal it is.

Anyway, I just wanted to rant, and I know you fellow FJers would understand.

Is it run by students? If so, it is probably completely legal. If your school allows student groups to use meet in the school, then it legally has to allow all groups, religious and otherwise.

Sadly if it is run by students it is legal. Pity nobody there will start a Muslim club or a Hindu study group. After all, in the Bible Belt the only "real" religion is Christianity. Can we start a church of Minding Our Own Damned Business? We "witness" by leaving posters that say "Live your own life. Be happy and don't hurt other people."

The fact that it may be allowed because it's a student-run group is all good and well. But, other religions cannot/would not/are not be allowed to do the same. And you best believe that's EXACTLY what happens. There's where the problem lies.

Archived