IGNORED

Clothing as a way to control women

salex

http://awwproject.org/2013/08/voices-of ... -clothing/ NOT Broken

three-Kabul-women-in-the-1970s.jpg

Kabul women in the 70s.

http://www.foreignpolicy.com/articles/2 ... fghanistan Foreign Policy online mag with photos from Afghanistan in the 60s and 70s.

I worry sometimes what religious nutjobs can do to a country in only 35-40 years.

I agree with my Afghan sister Mahnaz jan that the root of these negative ideas about women is our patriarchal culture, which allows men the authority to see women as insignificant and undeserving of any kind of respect and entitlement. Women and girls are denied many rights and freedoms. Men want Aryana to cover herself in long clothes and to cover her hair.

I think everyone should wear what they want.

Afghan women are constantly suffering from this controlling behavior about their clothes.

By Mariam on the Afghan Women's Writing Project

Me too, Mariam, Me Too.

It is really comparing apples and oranges. That picture is out of context. In the 70s, Afghan women who dressed like that were the upper class elites. Lower class women in Afghanistan did not dress that way. You are never going to be able to Talabanize women's dress in the US because the lower socioeconomic strata does not dress more conservatively than the upper (quiverfull freaks aside, and they are in no way representative of poor Christians).

It is really comparing apples and oranges. That picture is out of context. In the 70s, Afghan women who dressed like that were the upper class elites. Lower class women in Afghanistan did not dress that way. You are never going to be able to Talabanize women's dress in the US because the lower socioeconomic strata does not dress more conservatively than the upper (quiverfull freaks aside, and they are in no way representative of poor Christians).

I hope you are correct.

Archived