IGNORED

Will Doug Philips Honor Nancy Wake?

debrand

I don't usually take yahoo news seriously, but this story was too amazing to ignore.

The "White Mouse" just died. I'd never heard of her before. During WWWII, Wake was the Gestapo's most wanted person.

Wake, who died in a London hospital on Sunday just days short of her 99th birthday, was the nation's most decorated servicewoman from WWII, holding France's Legion d'Honneur, Britain's George Medal and the US Medal of Freedom.

She parachuted back into France in April 1944 before D-Day, tasked with helping distribute weapons to Resistance fighters.

"In those days it was safer, or a woman had more chance than a man, to get around, because the Germans were taking men out just like that," she later recounted

Sounds like an amazing hero from WWWII.

http://news.yahoo.com/great-australian- ... 50857.html

I'm amazed that I never heard of Nancy Wake before. Vision Forum has a rigid manner of viewing women and men. Women are soft, always waiting at home(And I believe the family members who waited for the soldiers were also brave) while men are the actively heroic people who go fight wars and save people.

Yet there have always been people in history who don't fit the Vision Forum stereotypes. Can any of you think of other women who Doug Philips would like to ignore?

I had never heard of her until you posted this. Sounds fascinating though and makes me wonder how many other women had roles like that.

Can any of you think of other women who Doug Philips would like to ignore?

Any that don't fit into his little box of what he thinks women should be.

I had never heard of her until you posted this. Sounds fascinating though and makes me wonder how many other women had roles like that.

Apparently, it was safer to send women into certain areas than men. I can't believe that she is the only one. How many grandmothers, I wonder, were involved in such activity? Because of their age, their stories might never get told.

Hannah Szenes

Hannah Szenes (Hebrew: חנה סנש‎) (Hungarian: Szenes Anikó), often anglicized as Hannah Senesh (July 17, 1921 – November 7, 1944) was a Hungarian Jew, one of 37 Jews who lived in the British Mandate for Palestine (now Israel), who were trained by the British army to parachute into Yugoslavia during the Second World War in order to help save the Jews of Hungary, who were about to be deported to the German death camp at Auschwitz.[1]

Szenes was arrested at the Hungarian border, imprisoned and tortured, but she refused to reveal details of her mission and was eventually tried and executed by firing squad.[1] She is regarded as a national heroine in Israel, where several streets, the headquarters of the Zionist youth movements Israel Hatzeira and a kibbutz are named after her, and her poetry is widely known.

Guest Anonymous
I don't usually take yahoo news seriously, but this story was too amazing to ignore.

The "White Mouse" just died. I'd never heard of her before. During WWWII, Wake was the Gestapo's most wanted person.

Sounds like an amazing hero from WWWII.

http://news.yahoo.com/great-australian- ... 50857.html

I'm amazed that I never heard of Nancy Wake before. Vision Forum has a rigid manner of viewing women and men. Women are soft, always waiting at home(And I believe the family members who waited for the soldiers were also brave) while men are the actively heroic people who go fight wars and save people.

Yet there have always been people in history who don't fit the Vision Forum stereotypes. Can any of you think of other women who Doug Philips would like to ignore?

Josephine Baker, for one. She had come to Paris in 1921, became a true superstar in France and embraced all things French. She acted as courier to the Resistance for over 4 years, receiving and passing on messages and military information right under the Gestapo's nose. Baker, too, received the Legion d'Honneur (I don't know if she received any British or American awards). When Josephine Baker died in 1975, the French government gave her a military funeral and over 20,000 people lined the streets of Paris to see her off.

Josephine Baker was taking enormous risks. Her prominence in France, along with her being American, and black, made her highly visible. Can you see Dougie and his manly menz paying her any sort of homag? Never mind that she deserves it.

Oddly enough, I was just reading about Pulp History a graphic history series started by David Talbot, founder of Salon. One of the books is Shadow Knights. Here from the Talbot Players website is a brief description of what the book is about:

"Shadow Knights is the inspiring story of Winston Churchill’s network of secret agents – everyday men and women who were trained in the dark arts of espionage and dropped into the heart of the Nazi killing machine. They were unlikely heroes – former schoolteachers, pacifists, prostitutes, bar bouncers. Even a Sufi children’s book author and a gay butler who later worked for movie star Douglas Fairbanks Jr. “Shadow Knights†tells the story of the little-known spy operation that helped win World War II. But above all, it is an act of homage to the ordinary men and women who, like Frodo in Tolkien’s “Lord of the Rings,†chose to walk straight into the jaws of hell."

http://talbotplayers.com/pulphistory.html

And no, Josephine Baker's heroism would not be honored by Dougie: too immodestly dressed, dontcha know?

Oddly enough, I was just reading about Pulp History a graphic history series started by David Talbot, founder of Salon. One of the books is Shadow Knights. Here from the Talbot Players website is a brief description of what the book is about:

"Shadow Knights is the inspiring story of Winston Churchill’s network of secret agents – everyday men and women who were trained in the dark arts of espionage and dropped into the heart of the Nazi killing machine. They were unlikely heroes – former schoolteachers, pacifists, prostitutes, bar bouncers. Even a Sufi children’s book author and a gay butler who later worked for movie star Douglas Fairbanks Jr. “Shadow Knights†tells the story of the little-known spy operation that helped win World War II. But above all, it is an act of homage to the ordinary men and women who, like Frodo in Tolkien’s “Lord of the Rings,†chose to walk straight into the jaws of hell."

http://talbotplayers.com/pulphistory.html

And no, Josephine Baker's heroism would not be honored by Dougie: too immodestly dressed, dontcha know?

What a cool idea! History as graphic novels.

Of course he won't honor her. She had more courage, smarts & ability than the whole passel of VF males put together.

For that matter, I wonder what Winston Churchill would say if he could come back for a day and see the dreck that VF pumps out on WW II.

What a cool idea! History as graphic novels.

Don't you have the Horrible Histories series in the USA?

They aren't graphic novels as such, but they do contain cartoon strips. They're aimed at kids and young teens but I love them too! They are great for giving a thorough introduction into certain periods of history and historical events. They give a very comic view to the unsavoury and gory bits of history.

There is also Horrible Science (the science behind burps, farts, vomit and poo etc), Horrible Geography, Murderous Maths (brilliant for kids and also for those less mathematically inclined adults (such as myself...)), Boring Bible, and Dead Famous (each book about one important person in history).

My kids love them and they are great for getting kids into history etc.

Guest Anonymous
Of course he won't honor her. She had more courage, smarts & ability than the whole passel of VF males put together.

For that matter, I wonder what Winston Churchill would say if he could come back for a day and see the dreck that VF pumps out on WW II.

I'm rooting for him to spit in Dougie's eye.

Josephine Baker, for one. She had come to Paris in 1921, became a true superstar in France and embraced all things French. She acted as courier to the Resistance for over 4 years, receiving and passing on messages and military information right under the Gestapo's nose. Baker, too, received the Legion d'Honneur (I don't know if she received any British or American awards). When Josephine Baker died in 1975, the French government gave her a military funeral and over 20,000 people lined the streets of Paris to see her off.

Josephine Baker was taking enormous risks. Her prominence in France, along with her being American, and black, made her highly visible. Can you see Dougie and his manly menz paying her any sort of homage? Never mind that she deserves it.

[OT]In 1989, I dined at Chez Josephine, a NYC restaurant owned by Jean-Claude Baker, one of her "rainbow tribe" of twelve multi-ethnic adopted children. Had a great meal and learned a lot of fascinating history about her there![/OT]

What abt Molly Pitcher? Think that was her name. She fought in the Revolutionary War.

Guest Anonymous

What abt Molly Pitcher? Think that was her name. She fought in the Revolutionary War.

This one was taught in grade school when I was growing up. Molly Pitcher was so-called because she would bring water to her husband and his fellow Continental Army soldiers, even in battle. When her gunner husband was killed, Molly picked up his weapon and continued firing.

Molly Pitcher had a contemporary, a Jewish woman named Esther Hayes who was also married to a Continental soldier. Esther and some of her friends smuggled food, hidden in the panniers of their dresses and their petticoats, to the troops at Valley Forge.

Dougie would probably take great relish in ignoring them both. Not only did they actually DO something instead of having a case of the vapors while their husbands got their asses shot off. They were also commoners, not members of the nobility and to top it off, one of the women had the temerity not to be Christian (sarcasm alert).

Julia Child's books probably taught a lot of fundie women how to cook fancy dishes before the slough of kids came, yet Dougie would hate on her and "Mrs. Joy" for...gasp...writing the books in the first place and Julia for pioneering cooking on television, especially the ebil, gubmint-supported PBS.

Not to mention, there's that thing with the OSS. Go Julia!

PS: Audrey Hepburn has always been a heroine of mine; unlike Dougie, her humanitarism had no ulterior motives. She used her famous name to draw attention of the causes she supported, never for herself. Even her ex husbands could never really say anything bad about her.

Archived