IGNORED

Bates Kids & Cell Phones

0 kids n not countin

As an aside, Zach is courting a woman who was adopted. Is that the Bates's discounting Gothardism? Or do adopted children eventually get to prove that they have overcome the "sins" of their parents and thus become acceptable?

I imagine they checked her out and she was found to meet their approval.(can't trust Zach to make that decision alone).I'm also guessing it helped that her father is a pastor.

I also imagine she's been quizzed on allowing God to decide their family size,and she also passed that one.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Please could someone point me in the direction of the info on Lawson giving them money - is it on the Bates' blog?

Please could someone point me in the direction of the info on Lawson giving them money - is it on the Bates' blog?

Here you go, you have to start at 27min.

The adds are Efn annoying

Don't know if i have to break link? if so please tell me....Thanks

http://www.hulu.com/watch/271402

I suspect the Bates kids are as brainwashed as Sarah Maxwell with her 'but I love my daddy' stuff. They haven't ever known a life that's different to the one they have, no doubt they see their total lack of freedom as proof of love and are happy to be monitored and treated like children.

It really makes me wonder if they secretly play on the internet (I'm sure they can figure out SOME way to access open internet) and listen to the radio while they are driving alone or with a sibling close in age.. same goes for the Duggars. I can see Jinger listening to Lady GaGa and just feeling free, even if its only for a few minutes..

In a family that large, I'm sure there are accountability buddies that that turn a blind eye.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't see anything wrong with a young adult who is living at home pitching in on things like groceries. I guess it's kind of magnified because its such a huge number of people to buy groceries for, but I certainly didn't thing anything was wrong with having our 20 year old employed child doing the grocery shopping sometimes with their money. If anything, I expected less financial contribution from grown kids at home than some other people I know.

The thing is, it goes beyond chipping in. Lawson flat out pays a lot of the bills. If Gil had kept his job a Nabisco and allowed the older children to work, they wouldn't need Lawson or any of the adult male children to pay most of the bills.

I don't get this. They can borrow money from Lawson but he can't have interent access without supervision? what if he is on the job and needs to check whether a check has cleared? What if he needs to use his phone to deposit a check or email someone? How can that man (he is a man) run a business that helps support the family and not have access to the internet? And Zach? And elected official but not trusted on the internet?

Something tells me that the kids all know the password and they are letting mom and dad live happily in ignorance.

THIS is insanity! What happens once he marries or whatever it takes to be deemed an "adult"? Does his magically gain some kind of self control? How do these kids ever learn to have self control when they have never been allowed to practice any? My 14 year old son has more freedom than this 21 year old adult. My 14 year old is probably more of an adult than these adult fundie "children", just because he HAS been allowed to make mistakes, get in trouble, and learn from it. Whenever I read about things like this, I get more and more sad. It may sound silly to some people to be sad over something as trivial as cell phone/smart phone access, but it goes so much deeper than that. It illustrates just how restricted every tiny aspect of their lives are. :(

It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if the first thing John David Duggar did, after beginning his various towing and contruction jobs away from home, was to buy a laptop computer that he could hide from his parents so that he could surf the internet at his leisure. At least, I hope that's what he did.

It really makes me wonder if they secretly play on the internet (I'm sure they can figure out SOME way to access open internet) and listen to the radio while they are driving alone or with a sibling close in age.. same goes for the Duggars. I can see Jinger listening to Lady GaGa and just feeling free, even if its only for a few minutes..

It's possible. And hey, the Bates DO listen to radio. Maybe they have a Christian station they listen to; I don't know. There's one where I am, and I know there's a number of them in the US. How do I know? Remember that TV special of them(and that's where we found out about Lawson's buying the groceries and lending to siblings)? I think it was about 2 years ago. I don't know if it's still available.(they also included a piece on Zach and Sarah's courtship beginning) But, the Bates were on their way to Big Sandy for the ATI homeschool conference, and got delayed twice because of tornado warnings. And the second one THEY HEARD ON THE RADIO as they were driving. Had they been anti-radio, they might've been thrown off the highway because of the tornadoes.

It's possible. And hey, the Bates DO listen to radio. Maybe they have a Christian station they listen to; I don't know. There's one where I am, and I know there's a number of them in the US. How do I know? Remember that TV special of them(and that's where we found out about Lawson's buying the groceries and lending to siblings)? I think it was about 2 years ago. I don't know if it's still available.(they also included a piece on Zach and Sarah's courtship beginning) But, the Bates were on their way to Big Sandy for the ATI homeschool conference, and got delayed twice because of tornado warnings. And the second one THEY HEARD ON THE RADIO as they were driving. Had they been anti-radio, they might've been thrown off the highway because of the tornadoes.

Here You Go...ABC Primetime Nightline - My Extra(Ordinary) Family: Bates' 18 Kids

http://www.hulu.com/watch/271402

The thing is, it goes beyond chipping in. Lawson flat out pays a lot of the bills. If Gil had kept his job a Nabisco and allowed the older children to work, they wouldn't need Lawson or any of the adult male children to pay most of the bills.

This is so true. They say that they don't want anyone above them but isn't Lawson techincially the boss or even the lender. We will not hear this from the Duggars. Hate to compare.

Archived