IGNORED

'Pink Mass' turns WBC Gran mom Gay In Afterlife

doggie

sCan you imagine the foaming at the mouth reaction this may cause?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/1 ... 16642.html

By now, everyone's just about had it with the Westboro Baptist Church, a group whose members use national tragedies as opportunities to forward anti-gay hate speech. Ironically, their planned protests often bring communities together in opposition to their message. Now, an unlikely group has mounted a gay offensive against the WBC.

On Sunday, July 14, the Satanic Temple, a New York-based organization that seeks to foster "benevolence and empathy among all people" through Satan, performed a ritual called a "pink mass" at the Mississippi gravesite of Catherine Idalette Johnston, mother of WBC founder Fred Phelps Jr.

The aim? To "turn" the WBC founder's mom gay for all eternity.

I hope they do it to Fred Phelps's grave when he dies.

that grave would be like a toxic waste dump. :cracking-up:

Of course I laughed, but on the other hand I think we'd all be better off if we just ignored the WBC instead of giving them ammunition by doing things like this.

Of course I laughed, but on the other hand I think we'd all be better off if we just ignored the WBC instead of giving them ammunition by doing things like this.

Me too. Maybe if no one paid attention to them, they'd just stop trying and disappear.

I agree, and this kind of felt like an attention grabbing stunt to me. A lot of the anti-WBC stuff kind of strikes me the wrong way, to be honest, and I can't exactly explain why. It's like the WBC is obviously horrible and almost no one but WBC members themselves would disagree, so it's not like there's any bravery in opposing them, but I feel like a lot of the anti-WBC protesters get kind of full of themselves for standing up to the WBC. When they're actually showing up to funerals, as opposed to just claiming they're going to show up to get attention, I agree with blocking them, but otherwise I think ignoring them is a much better strategy.

I agree, and this kind of felt like an attention grabbing stunt to me. A lot of the anti-WBC stuff kind of strikes me the wrong way, to be honest, and I can't exactly explain why. It's like the WBC is obviously horrible and almost no one but WBC members themselves would disagree, so it's not like there's any bravery in opposing them, but I feel like a lot of the anti-WBC protesters get kind of full of themselves for standing up to the WBC. When they're actually showing up to funerals, as opposed to just claiming they're going to show up to get attention, I agree with blocking them, but otherwise I think ignoring them is a much better strategy.

Yeah, I agree. Plus this particular incident seems like something that the WBC could interpret as adding legitimacy to the odious things they believe - that people can "turn" gay, that all non-fundies are just out to make life harder for fundies and turn us all gay beginning with innocent old ladies, that the media has a horrible liberal anti-Jesus bias and praises the efforts of non-fundies to turn us all gay, etc.

In the documentaries "the most hated family in America" and "the most hated family in America in crisis" there are interviews with WBC members about peoples reactions to them. They like when people get mad and yell back as they have been taught to be calm and composed in arguments. They often come off "better" in their temper as they don't lose their cool. The love media attention so they would eat up a protest against them. The only way this church is going to go away is by giving them zero attention. Although I have a feeling the church will go away soon as they are not allowed to marry outside of the church, everyone in the church is related, and they don't really let new people in the church.

**Both documentaries can be watched on youtube.

I think they are suffering a slow painful death. they show up less and less and people care less and less.

I don't like these kind of tactics. Counter-protesting at their little public tantrums? Okay. Following them around with the Sodomobile (thanks Michael Moore)? Sure! But going to some dead lady's grave? Do we even know what she was like and whether little Freddie picked up his beliefs from her or not? It also makes me think of the posthumous Mormon baptisms which many of us find offensive. Maybe I need to lighten up, but it just doesn't sit with me.

I hope they do it to Fred Phelps's grave when he dies.

Not needed. There's a lot of speculation he's gay in this life! (Based on when & how he started his church & über-gay bashing.)

I don't like these kind of tactics. Counter-protesting at their little public tantrums? Okay. Following them around with the Sodomobile (thanks Michael Moore)? Sure! But going to some dead lady's grave? Do we even know what she was like and whether little Freddie picked up his beliefs from her or not? It also makes me think of the posthumous Mormon baptisms which many of us find offensive. Maybe I need to lighten up, but it just doesn't sit with me.

I agree, it's just as bad as posthumous Mormon baptisms, which I'm sure the WBC would be especially offended by if Mormons did that to their family member. I think one reason that hasn't been done is that Mormons know the WBC will show up at one of their temples or conference center for a protest.

Yes, this is what I was trying to say.

Also, these people wouldn't like my great gran but I'd be pissed if they did anything to her grave. I try not to do things that I don't want others to do to me.

Archived