IGNORED

Dare devil to Walk Tight Rope Across Grand Canyon

roddma

A 34 ye old dare devil is set to tight rope across Grand Canyon tonight at 8 pm on Discovery. He is part of a long line of dare devils, the Wollandas. Three of his relatives have met their deaths including his great grandfather. Saturday he walked across the same hotel where his great grandfather met his fate.Some people are nuts. I am on phone so you will have to Google.

They've been advertising it all day. It will be live and he will have no safety equipment. I hope he lives. Not planning to watch it. I saw the Challenger explode live and that was pretty awful. If he makes it, I'm sure it will be all over the news.

Oh yay! Joel Osteen is there! This can't go badly off anymore....

This whole thing is so contrived it's astounding. Anyone else think discovery is pushing the "live" portion a bit too far? I call "edited" now. Too many cameras and angles to worry about for a true live shot.

Oh yay! Joel Osteen is there! This can't go badly off anymore....

This whole thing is so contrived it's astounding. Anyone else think discovery is pushing the "live" portion a bit too far? I call "edited" now. Too many cameras and angles to worry about for a true live shot.

Osteen must be pleased with all the "Praise Jesus"ing.

I'm very glad he's okay. His skill and concentration are amazing. I kept going in and out of the room---I wanted to watch but at the same time I didn't.

And since he made it safely I will snark a bit. I can't wrap my mind around the whole daredevil mindset. I realize his family has been doing this sort of thing for seven generations--but why? Why risk having his family watch him die? Why do something so dangerous and unnecessary, all the while praying to Jesus? Isn't there something in the Bible about not tempting God?

Also he spent pretty much the entire time praising jesus (calling him his sorcerer, savior, all the usual names). Begging him to calm the winds down and to make the cable stop shaking in the wind. Turns out he's a born-again christian. I jokingly pointed out to my mom that according to the bible he's not praying correctly (matthew 6:5-15), and she thought I was making it up. I suggested she read her holy book and then she said I have problems :lol:

The religiosity ruined it for me. Didn't make him seem confident or dignified at all. But it still made my palms sweat to watch :shock:

Ah, his stream-of-Jesus narration didn't ruin it for me, it made it all the more entertaining!

Really, when do you get to hear such things as

"I command these strong winds to be calmed down by the authority of God, thank you Jesus, I praise you"

I saw a few seconds of it today on ESPN. Even though it was done yesterday, and I knew the outcome, I *still* got nervous watching it. No way could I have watched it live.

Big Dad JB told me years ago that the Wallenda family were Lutheran. Guess somebody went astray somewhere. ;)

One of my first recollections of feeling horror was looking at photos of the awful accident that took the lives of so many of the family at once. To this day, I find it difficult to watch a Wallenda performance, although I will always admire them for their courage, their physical prowess and their resilience. Would've been easy enough for them all to reject that lifestyle for some kind of desk or factory jobs, but they didn't. God bless 'em.

He must have skipped the conversation in the Bible between Satan and Jesus that went something like this:

Satan: "If you are God's Son, throw yourself off this mountain and you won't be hurt."

Jesus: "It is written, you will not put the Lord your God to the test."

Ah, his stream-of-Jesus narration didn't ruin it for me, it made it all the more entertaining!

Really, when do you get to hear such things as

"I command these strong winds to be calmed down by the authority of God, thank you Jesus, I praise you"

Haha good point. It was kind of hilarious, in hindsight :lol: The sorcerer part was my favorite, I think.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived