IGNORED

Prop 8 & DOM cases

lizziesmom

This Californian is thrilled :-). Thinking about taking my kids up to the Castro today in hopes of a street party, although since I normally try to avoid crowds whenever possible I'm not especially serious about that...

SF Pride this weekend is going to be extra-specially jubilant!

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You have the Atlantic Ocean between you and these nuts. We only have the "world's longest undefended border" as a dividing line between us. [seriously, all you American FJer's, I love you, but not the nut-cases who are going crazy today over the Supreme Court decisions.]

Don't worry, you'll have a flurry of sensible people next time a Republican president is elected. Which will be eight years after Clinton/Warren sweep the polls.

Count me in as another Californian who is thrilled for her state. (And the entire country!) What a step in the right direction!

Yay, yay, yay! Just wanted to celebrate with other FJers...Today's rulings give me hope that one day I can get married in my formerly progressive and now depressingly right-wing state! :gay-rainbow: :gay-rainbow:

Secretary of Defense Chuck Hagel's statement on the occasion of DOMA's overturning:

The Department of Defense welcomes the Supreme Court's decision today on the Defense of Marriage Act. The department will immediately begin the process of implementing the Supreme Court's decision in consultation with the Department of Justice and other executive branch agencies. The Department of Defense intends to make the same benefits available to all military spouses -- regardless of sexual orientation -- as soon as possible. That is now the law and it is the right thing to do.

Every person who serves our nation in uniform stepped forward with courage and commitment. All that matters is their patriotism, their willingness to serve their country, and their qualifications to do so. Today's ruling helps ensure that all men and women who serve this country can be treated fairly and equally, with the full dignity and respect they so richly deserve.

So, military benefits will be available for spouses of military personnel.

http://www.defense.gov/releases/release ... seid=16119

I don't care how sick I am, I am SO going to gay pride in MPLS this weekend. At least the parade!

It was a GOOD year for gays in Minnesota this year. Marriage equality on the state AND Federal level. :)

I'm so happy and excited, I almost want to cry but I'm at work. One step closer in the direction of equal rights for all :banana-stoner: :gay-rainbow: :obscene-drinkingbuddies: :ymca:

This Californian is also thrilled, and I especially loved what one of my gay FB friends said, which is that she woke up this morning to find that she's no longer a second class citizen. Also, I look forward to more weddings, including my cousin who is gay. The only thing that I think is sad is that my gay uncle never lived to see this, as he basically committed suicide over 20 years ago because my devout Catholic grandparents would have shunned him completely if he came out to them.

Don't worry, you'll have a flurry of sensible people next time a Republican president is elected. Which will be eight years after Clinton/Warren sweep the polls.

I'm okay with that! [i mean the sensible people, not the Republican party in power]

That was a very nice statement by Department of Defense.

I loved how unequivocal it was: "That is now the law and it is the right thing to do."

No foot-dragging, and no whining. I am impressed.

I am very happy to hear this. 'Bout fucking time.

And then the evil me was thinking 'ooooooooooooooooooh I bet the fundies must be SO mad between this and what happened in Texas' :cracking-up: :lol: :popcorn2:

zachsgang.blogspot.co.uk/2013/06/earnestly-desiring-end.html

Well Whiner lady is looking forward to the end of the world. Wonder if it is related :lol:

Since in the US we have separation of church and state and all, has there ever been a fundie who has been able to come up with a reason to oppose gay marriage that doesn't not involve religion?? I lived in NY when NY passed gay marriage and one of the guys who voted on it (you can see I'm quite political, lol, state senator? rep? I have no idea who he was...) was Catholic and said that although it is not what he believes in religiously speaking, he could find no LEGAL reason to oppose it and there for he had to vote for legalizing gay marriage. He put so succinctly what I always wonder about the people opposing it, do they have any non-religious reasons or do they just want to fuck church/state separation and live in a theocracy?

I don't care how sick I am, I am SO going to gay pride in MPLS this weekend. At least the parade!

It was a GOOD year for gays in Minnesota this year. Marriage equality on the state AND Federal level. :)

My husband is from Minnesota and has always been MINNESOTA PROUD (it deserves all caps for how much he loves that place) but their stance on equality always was a stain on his love for the place. He was completely overjoyed when they passed marriage equality. We are trying to figure out where we want to settle down and raise our kiddos and the second to last barrier to MN being that place is gone now (unfortunately my mother-in-law still lives there! :think: ). Go MN!!!

Also, I must be a terrible sap because I have cried about a million times today. Each new thing that the shut down of DOMA means seems just wonderful to me. I'm not gay, but I have children who may grow up to be and thinking that the country is moving in this direction makes me feel good about raising them to be whoever they are.

Oh and I lived in CA when Prop 8 was voted on, that was the election where Obama was elected and all of our friends got together and waited for returns. It was so completely bittersweet to celebrate Obama's election that night because Prop 8 had passed. I am so, so glad that it was struck down and California couples will be allowed their equal rights.

Since in the US we have separation of church and state and all, has there ever been a fundie who has been able to come up with a reason to oppose gay marriage that doesn't not involve religion?? I lived in NY when NY passed gay marriage and one of the guys who voted on it (you can see I'm quite political, lol, state senator? rep? I have no idea who he was...) was Catholic and said that although it is not what he believes in religiously speaking, he could find no LEGAL reason to oppose it and there for he had to vote for legalizing gay marriage. He put so succinctly what I always wonder about the people opposing it, do they have any non-religious reasons or do they just want to fuck church/state separation and live in a theocracy?

One of the common arguments I've heard is that it is not fair for kids to be raised without a mom and a dad...which is ridiculous, given that our president was raised by a single mom, and look how he turned out!

edited to add: and of course they never have any facts to back up their bullshit assertions.

I am very happy to hear this. 'Bout fucking time.

And then the evil me was thinking 'ooooooooooooooooooh I bet the fundies must be SO mad between this and what happened in Texas' :cracking-up: :lol: :popcorn2:

I think June 26 should be a holiday (since Wendy's victory took place after midnight)!

One of the common arguments I've heard is that it is not fair for kids to be raised without a mom and a dad...which is ridiculous, given that our president was raised by a single mom, and look how he turned out!

edited to add: and of course they never have any facts to back up their bullshit assertions.

Some people have tried to create a nonreligious argument by claiming that marriage is only legitimate if it involves procreation. This argument means that infertile and elderly couples can't be married.

And from Chick-fil-A:

Which brings us to Chick-Fil-A, the Georgia-based fast-food chain whose CEO made headlines and sparked boycotts last year with anti-gay-marriage statements. Surprise: Chick-Fil-A had nothing to say on the matter today. “We are leaving political decisions and discussions to others and focusing only on what we do best,†the company told the Wall Street Journal.

Archived