IGNORED

Prop 8 & DOM cases

lizziesmom

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think the sounds I'm hearing are fundie's heads exploding

I'm hearing that too. I wonder if some of the fundie bloggers will blog today. I predict that by tomorrow the Lousewife and Lori will whine posts up.

So happy for my gay family and friends today! Time to start working on the holdout states. They will fall though, one by one. :gay-color:

Congratulations USA!

This means that all marriage is recognized on the federal level, right? So if a gay couple marry in Massachusetts their marriage has to be recognized in Arkansas?

Suck on equality, Duggars!

I live in Arkansas....right in the heart of duggarland....this means my partner and I can go to Iowa and marry. Jim Bob and the rest of his bigoted crew can just go suck lemons.. We've waited 17 years for this...and I know others who waited longer.

I love good news such as this! And the anti-abortion bill has been shot down in Texas, too! :happy-jumpeveryone::happy-jumpeveryone::happy-jumpeveryone::happy-jumpgreen::happy-jumpgreen:

Congratulations USA!

This means that all marriage is recognized on the federal level, right? So if a gay couple marry in Massachusetts their marriage has to be recognized in Arkansas?

Suck on equality, Duggars!

No. The section of DOMA that prohibits recognition of one state's marriages in another state was not under contention here. Rather, it was the section that prohibits federal recognition of same-sex marriage. So the gay couple married in MA still will not have their marriage recognized in AR. However, a gay couple married in a state that has marriage equality can now file their federal taxes jointly, is exempt from estate taxes, and so forth. With the exception of California, all state level bans that were in place before are still in place now.

(I think. I am not a lawyer and may be misinterpreting what lawyers have said about this. If this is inaccurate, please correct me.)

So this is a huge step, but there is lots more work left to do. It's likely that a challenge to the state level bans will be coming next.

This Californian is thrilled :-). Thinking about taking my kids up to the Castro today in hopes of a street party, although since I normally try to avoid crowds whenever possible I'm not especially serious about that...

No. The section of DOMA that prohibits recognition of one state's marriages in another state was not under contention here. Rather, it was the section that prohibits federal recognition of same-sex marriage. So the gay couple married in MA still will not have their marriage recognized in AR. However, a gay couple married in a state that has marriage equality can now file their federal taxes jointly, is exempt from estate taxes, and so forth. With the exception of California, all state level bans that were in place before are still in place now.

(I think. I am not a lawyer and may be misinterpreting what lawyers have said about this. If this is inaccurate, please correct me.)

So this is a huge step, but there is lots more work left to do. It's likely that a challenge to the state level bans will be coming next.

Well, it is a great start. Thank you for the explanation. I had to stay up for this even though I have an early appointment tomorrow. Good night all - happy equality!

Tony Perkins just spoke on ABC news; sucka!

He is now whinging on CNN. What a week for Smuggar to start his job. :lol:

Well, it is a great start. Thank you for the explanation. I had to stay up for this even though I have an early appointment tomorrow. Good night all - happy equality!

Wait, so if a gay couple married in a state has marriage equality moved to one that didn't, how would that affect their taxes?

I see this getting challenged soon on that basis.

"The Defense of Marriage Act has been ruled unconstitutional as a deprivation of the equal liberty of persons that is protected by the Fifth Amendment."

Thank you, SCOTUS

I live in Arkansas....right in the heart of duggarland....this means my partner and I can go to Iowa and marry. Jim Bob and the rest of his bigoted crew can just go suck lemons.. We've waited 17 years for this...and I know others who waited longer.

Most heartfelt congratulations to you and your partner ( now fiancée! :D )- my only wish is that you can someday wave your federal jointly filed tax returns in Smuggar's fat face! Don't do a kiss in, it will only arouse him.

Wait, so if a gay couple married in a state has marriage equality moved to one that didn't, how would that affect their taxes?

That's what they're saying. This is the same situation as was set up in Loving v. Virginia.

Congratulations to all the gay jingerites! I'm so excited for all of us Americans! :clap:

Congratulations! I am so happy for you!

Their marriage will be recognized for all federal purposes, and in states that recognize same-sex marriage. For example, a same-sex couple living next-door to Smuggar in Virginia could file their federal income tax return together but not their Virginia tax return. I haven't fully dissected the Court's opinion, but I believe that is correct.

Again, IANAL - but I think that means that after they moved they could still file their federal taxes jointly, but not their state taxes. Yes, this definitely seems like grounds for a future challenge on the remaining parts of DOMA that are still in effect.

There is a GOD and she is kind and just-I can't wait to read ZsuZsu posting today, also PP sermon on this.

Congrat to all Free Jinger members who will benefit from this.

:cracking-up: : :nenner: :cracking-up: :nenner: :clap: :nenner: :dance: :cracking-up: :nenner:

Congratulations USA and fuck you Smugs! Welcome to the 21st century!

And the pearl clutching has begun alliancealert.org/2013/06/26/statement-from-prop-8-attorneys-on-supreme-court-decision-alliance-defending-freedom/

I'm waiting to hear the Vision Forum crowd weigh in... letters to editor in my local paper ought to be full of plenty of wailing and gnashing of teeth from the usual fundie crowd also.

Too bad, so sad! :D

And the pearl clutching has begun alliancealert.org/2013/06/26/statement-from-prop-8-attorneys-on-supreme-court-decision-alliance-defending-freedom/

They don't sound very optimistic about their fight, do they? :dance:

He is now whinging on CNN. What a week for Smuggar to start his job. :lol:

I also saw him on CNN, but I was on the phone and had the TV on mute. Smuggar is probably mad about this. I wonder if Famy will weigh in to. She had some anti-gay tweets last year on the CFA day.

Here's part of what Tony Perkins said to CNN:

“Their refusal to redefine marriage for all states is a major setback for those seeking to redefine natural marriage," he said. "Time is not on the side of those seeking to create same-sex ‘marriage.’ As the American people are given time to experience the actual consequences of redefining marriage, the public debate and opposition to the redefinition of natural marriage will undoubtedly intensify."

I wonder what planet he's living on! This is exactly what happened. People lived with marriage equality and realized that it's no bad thing, that it didn't affect their marriages and the public debate very quickly switched from opposition to support.

Go SCOTUS!

Yay!!!

When the fundie bloggers start moaning about how their rights are being taken away or whatever, can people please link here? I am hoping to indulge in some good old-fashioned NYAHNYAHing. And sticking my tongue out a la Twin2's Nellie userpic. Yeah, I'm not that mature sometimes.

Archived