IGNORED

Prop 8 & DOM cases

lizziesmom

. “We are leaving political decisions and discussions to others and focusing only on what we do best,†the company told the Wall Street Journal.

Right I guess they learned the lesson. Now back to making crap for you food.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A lesbian friend just posted that she can now stop drinking skim milk because she finally feels whole.

My fundie friends have been mostly silent even though FB and other social media has been blowing up with the news. The few who've bothered to comment have been saying what I'm starting to hear more & more frequently in their circles, that the government should get out of the marriage business altogether. Pretty much tantrums from spoiled children who'd rather see their toy destroyed rather than sharing it with anyone else.

I can't deal with Coldwater Cyn at rush hour, but if anyone is interested the Prop 8 Decision Rally in West Hollywood is being streamed live. Says they've got the lawyers, plaintiffs, and mayors of LA and W Hollywood to speak.

http://www.afer.org/LA/

I was very pleased with the number of deeply religious and conservative facebook friends of mine who were vocally supportive of both of today's rulings. Many shared one of the creative red equality symbols.

I think for many of them it comes from having friends and family members who are openly gay and in long-term committed relationships -- so they know they are just regular people with the same strengths and weaknesses as anyone else.

The few people in my fb list who I am pretty sure are anti-equal marriage have been laying low and not posting anything. And again I think that is due to having openly gay family members -- it's one thing to look like a jerk about strangers, but being openly hostile to family isn't acceptable.

Over time I think this is what will change most peoples minds to being more accepting.

Very late to the party, but let's add one more post saying that this is AWESOME. Congrats, USA!

I've seen a couple of posts criticizing people for celebrating today in light of the gutting of the Voting Rights Act yesterday. One person said:

A recent study, based on data from my newsfeed, shows that my average facebook friend is more concerned about gay peoples' right to marry than black peoples' right to vote.

Really? People aren't allowed to be happy about this? Since when is this a zero-sum game? I figured that part of the reason people are ecstatically happy today is because yesterday was so disappointing that people weren't sure what was going to happen.

I've seen a couple of posts criticizing people for celebrating today in light of the gutting of the Voting Rights Act yesterday. One person said:

Really? People aren't allowed to be happy about this? Since when is this a zero-sum game? I figured that part of the reason people are ecstatically happy today is because yesterday was so disappointing that people weren't sure what was going to happen.

:agree:

I hate when people try to pit rights against each other. Or the radicals back in March that said marriage was "conforming to the heterosexual mainstream," while ignoring the fact that many same-sex couples benefit a lot from marriage equality.

Gah....from a knuckledragger on a community blog:

"There is a difference. The difference is material. Marriage as a legal and religious partnership entity has a basis in every society for being the source of procreation and child rearing. We can certainly add to that definition a non-child rearing partnership entity and require only that two people of any gender commit to loving each other, but if and when they decide to push out offspring out of a test-tube or if they adopt, they enter a new realm of marital existence that is inferior to traditional married couples (all other things being equal)."

How nice of him to offer up to gay people the option to celebrate a "Non-Child Rearing Partnership Entity" (try putting that on elegantly-engraved invitations). But when they "push out offspring out of a test-tube" they are relegated to an "inferior" status to "traditional married couples."

What a dick. The language he uses makes it clear he's anti-gay marriage because it's distasteful to him personally (or because God) and nothing more.

I am really upset by SCOTUS's ruling on the Voting Rights Act, which is already having effects in places like Texas. Racism is not a solved problem, and I can't think of a single decision in my lifetime that has undone so much of the good of the Civil Rights movement at once. But I can also feel more than one emotion at a time. Is that so unusual?

Nancy Pelosi, asked today to respond to Michele Bachmann's overwrought statement about DOMA, offered a lovely sentiment:

"Who cares?"

Rep. Bachmann, meet The Dustbin of History. Dustbin of History, meet Rep. Bachmann. I'm sure you two will have a lot to talk about.

I'm so happy. It made my crappy day less crappy and I am ready for PRIDE in my great state of Minnesota where I can marry the man or woman that I choose to be my partner! :happy-wavemulticolor::romance-adore:

I managed to stir up a hornets nest on Kirk Cameron's page. He of course spoke against today's rulings so I pointed out to everyone commenting that Jesus doesn't say anything about gays & that gays can be Christian too! They threw Romans at me & said gays are going to hell. I can't believe how nasty these so-called Christians are!

Kirk's just pissed off because he can't join in the party-Doug Phillips (is a tool) prefers Peter Bradrick so he's out out in the cold until polygamy gets the okay.

I am thrilled that DOMA was overturned, but I'm one of the people who can't get too excited due to what happened the day before with the Voting Rights Act. The bottom line for me is that a small group of highly politicized elites get to decide whether or not we will have civil rights. It's hard to feel like you're living in a democracy when you're on pins and needles waiting for that small group week after week to see if they will deign to include minority groups under Constitutional protections.

Went to a civil union a few weeks ago in another state. What a gift for them while they are still in the honeymoon phase.

Congratulations everyone! :mrgreen: :dance:

Gah....from a knuckledragger on a community blog:

"There is a difference. The difference is material. Marriage as a legal and religious partnership entity has a basis in every society for being the source of procreation and child rearing. We can certainly add to that definition a non-child rearing partnership entity and require only that two people of any gender commit to loving each other, but if and when they decide to push out offspring out of a test-tube or if they adopt, they enter a new realm of marital existence that is inferior to traditional married couples (all other things being equal)."

How nice of him to offer up to gay people the option to celebrate a "Non-Child Rearing Partnership Entity" (try putting that on elegantly-engraved invitations). But when they "push out offspring out of a test-tube" they are relegated to an "inferior" status to "traditional married couples."

What a dick. The language he uses makes it clear he's anti-gay marriage because it's distasteful to him personally (or because God) and nothing more.

Gee, knuckledragger, my brother-in-law and sister-in-law are going to be shocked to learn that their marriage is relegated to a "inferior" status, since all their children were conceived via IVF. Newsflash - just because you're a married man and woman doesn't guarantee you'll be able to make all the babies you want au natural.

And from Chick-fil-A:

Which brings us to Chick-Fil-A, the Georgia-based fast-food chain whose CEO made headlines and sparked boycotts last year with anti-gay-marriage statements. Surprise: Chick-Fil-A had nothing to say on the matter today. “We are leaving political decisions and discussions to others and focusing only on what we do best,†the company told the Wall Street Journal.

When you find out what that is let us know, cuz chicken ain't it!

Dan Cathy of Chick-fil-A tweeted his thoughts, then quickly deleted it.

130627092238-chick-fil-a-tweet-620xa.jpg

I'm sure the founding fathers were also ashamed that we abandoned other pieces of "wisdom of the ages," like that women and people of color aren't actually people.

Archived