IGNORED

John Piper to teens: "God will make you a holy frog!"

JaChelle Sugar

Surfing the web for articles on how fucked up Calvinism is, I landed on John Piper's site (I believe he is a Calvinist) and read this article.

desiringgod.org/blog/posts/letter-to-an-incomplete-insecure-teenager

His constant talk of 'holy frogs' cracked me up!

My experience of coming out of an introverted, insecure, guilty, lustful, self-absorbed adolescent life was more like the emergence of a frog from a tadpole than a butterfly from a larva..........

.....Frogs are born teeny-weeny, fish-like, slimy, back-water-dwellers. They are not on display at Sea World. They might be in some ritzy hotel's swimming pool if the place has been abandoned for 20 years and there's only a foot of green water in the deep end.

But little by little, because they are holy frogs by predestination and by spiritual DNA (new birth), they swim around in the green water and start to look more and more like frogs....

...So my advice is: be patient with the way God has planned for you to become a very happy, belly-bumping frog. Don’t settle for being a tadpole or a weird half-frog....

\

Not that the article didn't have a few good idea's in there but really--FROGS? Was that necesary?

Hmm fundy and frog. they both swallow anything that will fit in their mouths (or minds) with no though to if it is another frog.

I"m having flashbacks to

_4KVwX44Z9A

Isn't one of the most popular purity-books called "I kissed dating goodbye"? While in the classical fairytale The Frog King/Iron Heinrich, the frog is chucked at the wall, movies and popular culture have made the theme of "kissing frogs" so popular, the metaphor basically lends itself.

But yes, it's still risible.

What is "weird half frog" meant to represent?

Adolescent, maybe?

I found the "belly-bumping" part somewhat :wtf:-ish.

Predestination: The belief that you needn’t do good to be counted among the saints, nor evil to be tortured for the crimes of another person.

It’s no wonder Piper would choose the frog for his example: Unlike the caterpillar, which needs to spin its own chrysalis, endure the changes required to develop into a butterfly, then break free of its prison, a tadpole needs only to ‘swim around’ in the muck until physical maturity happens.

I'm on my kindle so I can't easily see that link, please forgive me if I'm stating the obvious... a local christian shop sells all sorts of frog themed stuff bc "frog" stands for Fully Rely On God. Maybe he was yammering on about that? :roll:

I'm on my kindle so I can't easily see that link, please forgive me if I'm stating the obvious... a local christian shop sells all sorts of frog themed stuff bc "frog" stands for Fully Rely On God. Maybe he was yammering on about that? :roll:

Another reason my frog phobia is entirely rational.

What is "weird half frog" meant to represent?

Maybe that's what you get when the chemical plant next door to the ritzy, abandoned-for 20-years hotel swimming pool has a toxic spill. :roll:

Of course, FRO could also stand for "Fuck Right Off"...

My first thought was the story about the frog in boiling water. "You may get boiled to death, but at least you'll be a holy frog!"

My first thought was the story about the frog in boiling water. "You may get boiled to death, but at least you'll be a holy frog!"

Exactly! Put them in the pot when the temperature is "just right" and before you know it, they've boiled. Indoctrination, here you come!

Archived