IGNORED

Poster- Christianity inherently abusive

holierthanyou

Because it's so convenient to claim that is what I said. Please provide a quote.

I have only repeatedly asked how is staying silent going to help matters change and tried to provide arguments as to why I think NOT staying silent might.

Edited to add:

Based on what was described in this thread the worst thing that can realistically happen to a US citizen living in the US on grounds of religious discrimination is screening and being evangelized to. While unpleasant how in the world does it connect to "but Nazis!!!"?

What you posted was:

It is quite sad if you think that something like this is possible in the modern world today.

Apparently, you then clarified that "the modern world today" is somehow limited to the U.S., Canada, Australia and Europe, as if the rest of the world (where some of us live, or have family members) does not exist. For some reason, Russia in 1990 was not part of your definition of the modern world today. Oh, and we can't talk about war and genocide in the Balkans, even though that was a prime example of ethno-religious hatred exploding in civilized Europe after we had spent a few decades saying "Never Again".

I have to ask - how old are you? I mean, you live in a country that went through this! I was in Dubrovnik in 1987. It was lovely and peaceful. I wouldn't have believed that a few years later, it would be a war zone. I grew up in the 1970s and 19080s hearing "never again" - and in the 1990s, genocides happened again in the Balkans and in Rwanda. No, I do not have a lot of faith in the UN. Look at the death toll in Syria. Read "Shake Hands With the Devil", and see how the UN mission in Rwanda was prevented from doing anything to prevent the genocide.

Did you read our previous threads? Security profiling and evangelizing are only two of the realistic fears. 3 children were killed at their Jewish day school in Toulouse, France last year. Yes, I brought my children to their Jewish day school the next day - but you better believe that all of the parents were worried about security. Just after my previous post, while I was watching the news here on Friday afternoon, I found out that a Jewish family in my city had someone break into their garage and spray paint swastikas and threats against their children. Last summer, a white supremist went on a shooting spree in a Sikh temple in Wisconsin. Timothy McVeigh, who was the Oklahoma City bomber, had pages from The Turner Diaries in his car. The Turner Diaries are a particularly vile, racist work depicting a future race war, where among other things, women who have had sex with black men are hanged with signs around their necks saying "I defiled my race" and a nuclear bomb is dropped on Toronto to get rid of the Jews.

So YES, I do think that religious persecution is still possible in the modern world today.

Like I said, I'm not paranoid. I appreciate that my particular area is safe and that I live with more security than previous generations of my family. I will work hard to make sure that things stay safe for my children. But no, I do not believe that the possibility of religious persecution has vanished. In many situations, we make the conscious decision to stand up and be counted. In doing so, we assess the risks and consciously decide what level of risk is acceptable and what precautions are needed.

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived