IGNORED

Fred Clark Hits It Out of the Ballpark

rward

Fred Clark, the Christian antidote to the fundies we highlight here, had a great post on the Pregnant Workers Act and prolifers. (Fred is Christian and prochoice.)

www.patheos.com/blogs/slacktivist/2013/ ... qus_thread

(I broke the link, but I doubt Fred would be offended by anything we say here.)

The Pregnant Workers Fairness Act … would require employers to “make reasonable accommodations to employees stemming from pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions, unless the accommodation would impose an undue hardship on the employer,†according to the National Women’s Law Center (NWLC).

So let me be very clear: If you claim to be “pro-life†and yet you don’t support this bill, I have to conclude you are, at best, a sanctimonious hypocrite and not someone whose proclamations on “morality†are deserving of any attention or respect.

I will be forced to conclude that your loudly self-trumpeted moral superiority is nothing — nothing — more than a pretext for binding heavy burdens, grievous to be borne, and laying them on women’s shoulders while you yourselves aren’t willing to lift a finger to move them.

And, also too, I will have to conclude that you’re kind of a jerk.

For an excellent and entertaining article on how helping women helps save babies (real babies, not proto-babies) lives see this article from the bbc: [link=]http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-22751415[/link]

In 1938 the Finnish government started giving out boxes to all pregnant women below a certain income level (starting in the 1960s everyone got one). These boxes were filled with baby clothes, snow suits, sleeping bags, diapers, books, sheets, etc and included a mattress that turned the box into a clean safe place for babies to sleep. Receipt of the box was tied to visiting a doctor in a free clinic before the 4th month of pregnancy. Finland's infant mortality rates went from 65/1,000 births to less than half that 10 years later and is now one of the lowest in the world. THIS is what being pro-life is all about!

I know women who have had abortions purely based on economics. They all had children already, and knew they would be unable to provide any of their children with the basics, let alone a good life, with another child. If those women had better income (higher minimum wage), protected jobs, housing help, free insurance, etc., they would have continued the pregnancies.

There were no "prolifers" coming out of the woodwork to employ them at decent wages, buy them insurance, house them, etc. Nope, those fine Christians just stood outside the clinic screaming and waving signs.

Archived