IGNORED

Man threatens to sue if prevented from evangelizing kids

Phukktifano

I was thinking of posting this. Where does the 1st amendment say you can hand people religious junk? get in their space and bug them?? No where in the laws does it give a christian special rights.

Can I sue him, if he gives religious junk to my grandkids? I think that is infringing on their rights.

poor little christian can't force his faith on anyone else persecution. If the only way he can show he is a christian is handing out crap then you need to read the bible more.

Banther and his son were handing out religious materials at the annual "1890s Day Jamboree" in Ringgold when a parent filed a police report about a man approaching children in the parking lot.

No. Just no. You don't approach little kids without asking their parents first. Also, if someone is not allowed to sell items in a parking lot, they shouldn't be allowed to sell you religion either. Evangelism should be seen as solicitation and nothing more.

I'd like to find that guy and punch him in the dick. If he complains, I'll threaten to sue. After all, it's my right to not have to listen to his stupid bullshit.

Can I just tell you how sick & tired I am of people saying they have a right to free speech ZOMG I'm being picked on because people aren't forced to listen to me. Free speech in America gives you the right to be critical of the government and not disappear in the middle of the night. I can say such and such a politician sucks and I'm covered, it does not give you the right to force someone to listen to what you have to say. You still can not yell fire in a crowded theater because you feel like it. It does not give you the right to approach strangers (much less children) and make them stand there while you preach. And as the article says if you want to preach at this event you need to have filled out the proper paperwork.

Just because you are a christian does not give you special rights to infringe on my ability to walk away and ignore your annoying self.

The city has the right to make some reasonable safety-related rules. It can investigate if there are complaints about random adult male approaching young children, and put in crowd control measures.

It can't, however, put an outright ban on distributing religious materials or preaching in a public place, since that can be an infringement of freedom of speech and freedom of religion. You can be it on private property, because the Constitution does not apply to private actions. There is no requirement to listen politely, or to accept religious tracts, or even to be respectful.

Dickwad was a horrible person and father for using his son to appear 'safe' as he approached children in order to proselytize to them. That's not cool at all. I think that that's why he was told to leave on the first day he showed up at the event. However, as it seems from the article, he showed up alone the next day and there was nothing to indicate that he was approaching children, so he was allowed to continue to hand out fliers. God, people are creeps sometimes.

No. Just no. You don't approach little kids without asking their parents first. Also, if someone is not allowed to sell items in a parking lot, they shouldn't be allowed to sell you religion either. Evangelism should be seen as solicitation and nothing more.

As far as I am personally concerned, a firm no solicitation rule that covers politics and religion, plus other annoying things, should be the rule of thumb at any of the events. People don't come to them to get saved or persuaded how to vote.

Kudos to those who filed the police report against Mr. Banther. Adults should be able to expect to take their children to public events in public spaces and not worry that their kids are going to be approached by strangers with the "right" to. And he's fortunate some parent didn't get physical when he approached their child. I know a good many people who'd take a very dim view of some random stranger engaging their child. :angry-boxing:

I can't imagine the city will back him. Attendance would plummet at public events once word gets out that the city supports the "rights" of complete strangers to approach and engage children for any reason. I know that my husband and I would keep our girls a mile from anything like that.

Let him sue and when he loses, he can pay his legal fees and everyone else's. And a lawsuit will keep him too busy to evangelize.

"Ringgold city officials said in a statement that they have “established procedures†for participation at the event and "those exhibiting must have prior approval, and have a booth to operate the activity they are conducting."

So he could hand out flyers about Jesus, but he would have to pay for a booth and probably not follow small children around giving out info to them without their parent's permission.

At the farmer's market this week they had some kids coloring books about farmers. The person approached me, explained what it was and asked if the kids could have one. At no time were my children addressed until after I had given them permission to give my kids some coloring books. You just don't go up to kids and give them stuff without asking parents. Even here in the Bible belt that is frowned on.

I am a Christian and I do NOT want any adult approaching my child with their brand of religion, whether we believe in the same God or not (....and that is questionable the way some of these "Christians" behave!) I would be totally cool with them setting up a booth so that adults and children accompanied by a parent/guardian can make their own choices and come to them to learn about whatever they have to share. These people fail to see this works both ways- they would be just as horrified as we are if their child was followed around by an adult shoving Islamic or Buddhist materials in their little faces.

Ughh another poor persecuted Christian being denied his 1st amendment rights . . .GMAFB! I am so incredibly sick of this bullshit.

I went to a large university, where we ALWAYS had people evangelizing every spring. Every spring I would be practically forced to take damn pamphlets from them. Where was my right to just keep walking without having bullshit tracks throw into my hands? They were so aggressive and I often saw them soliciting to children walking through campus. I once saw them talking to a young Muslim girl who just looked visibly uncomfortable, but seemed to be too polite to walk away. Luckilly, the campus security gaurd caught it as well and approached them before I had the chance to freak out, lol.

Fundie's Response: But it's ok to hand out Hindu, Jewish and Muslim tracts but not Christians? That means we also have to include their holidays besides Christian 1s! That's persecution!!11!

The article doesn't say if it was public property or not, and how the legal arrangements for the event worked. There's no free speech rights on private property (most parking lots) or public property that's been leased by a private enterprise (public fairgrounds rented out by, say, the Boy Scouts.)

Sue. Oh dear God, please sue. I want to see the epic legal smackdown you will get.

Ughh another poor persecuted Christian being denied his 1st amendment rights . . .GMAFB! I am so incredibly sick of this bullshit.

I went to a large university, where we ALWAYS had people evangelizing every spring. Every spring I would be practically forced to take damn pamphlets from them. Where was my right to just keep walking without having bullshit tracks throw into my hands? They were so aggressive and I often saw them soliciting to children walking through campus. I once saw them talking to a young Muslim girl who just looked visibly uncomfortable, but seemed to be too polite to walk away. Luckilly, the campus security gaurd caught it as well and approached them before I had the chance to freak out, lol.

I hate that. We get those guys down at the bus stop downtown. Some of them are really aggressive about it. Last year, on the first surprise 90 degree day, they were handing out water bottles for "free"- the charge being that you had to listen to their stupid spiel. I preferred being thirsty.

Archived