IGNORED

Anti-gay Catholic activist kills himself on altar

duplessis3

ARIS – Crowds of visitors were cleared out of Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris after a man put a letter on the altar of the 850-year-old monument Tuesday, pulled out a gun and shot himself in the head, the cathedral's rector said.

It's the first suicide in decades at the landmark site, Monsignor Patrick Jacquin told The Associated Press.

"It's unfortunate, it's dramatic, it's shocking," Jacquin said. The motives for the suicide, and the contents of the man's letter, were unclear.

A police official says officers closed the cathedral to the public and were investigating. It's highly unusual for the cathedral, visited by some 13 million people from around the world every year, to be evacuated.

Police, the Paris prosecutor and church employees gathered inside the cathedral, while puzzled tourists crowded outside on the island in the Seine River that has been home to the cathedral since the 12th century. This year Notre Dame got new bells as part of celebrations marking 850 years since construction on the cathedral began.

Tuesday's death comes less than a week after another unusual suicide in central Paris, when a man shot himself in front of a dozen schoolchildren at a private Catholic school in the French capital.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/world/2013/05/21 ... z2TySUKG7H

Isn't this a mortal sin? And I hadn't heard about the guy traumatizing children...how is this supposed to add to their cause?

Where do you get this title from? I see nothing in the article about "Anti-gay Catholic Activist". It does not identify the person at all.

Edited for spelling.

Isn't this a mortal sin?

Not necessarily. From the Catechism of the Catholic Church (underlining mine):

Suicide

2280 Everyone is responsible for his life before God who has given it to him. It is God who remains the sovereign Master of life. We are obliged to accept life gratefully and preserve it for his honor and the salvation of our souls. We are stewards, not owners, of the life God has entrusted to us. It is not ours to dispose of.

2281 Suicide contradicts the natural inclination of the human being to preserve and perpetuate his life. It is gravely contrary to the just love of self. It likewise offends love of neighbor because it unjustly breaks the ties of solidarity with family, nation, and other human societies to which we continue to have obligations. Suicide is contrary to love for the living God.

2282 If suicide is committed with the intention of setting an example, especially to the young, it also takes on the gravity of scandal. Voluntary co-operation in suicide is contrary to the moral law.

Grave psychological disturbances, anguish, or grave fear of hardship, suffering, or torture can diminish the responsibility of the one committing suicide.

2283 We should not despair of the eternal salvation of persons who have taken their own lives. By ways known to him alone, God can provide the opportunity for salutary repentance. The Church prays for persons who have taken their own lives.

Here's a better link: http://www.cnn.com/2013/05/21/world/eur ... ?hpt=hp_t3

Difficult for me of course to see where his suffering comes in (and surely causing the suffering of all the people in attendance means he's the torturer.)

Oddly, the link I got was from Joe My God, a gay blogger - who detailed Dominique Venner (and now the head of the National Front, Marie Le Pen has come out praising his actions.)

We need a head shaking smilie. That's just so tragic and twisted. That's not really the word I'm looking for, but it'll have to suffice.

That is so awful. You have to wonder what would drive a person to such extremism. I just feel sorry for him, really, even if his beliefs were utterly abhorrent.

Here's a better link: http://www.cnn.com/2013/05/21/world/eur ... ?hpt=hp_t3

Difficult for me of course to see where his suffering comes in (and surely causing the suffering of all the people in attendance means he's the torturer.)

Oddly, the link I got was from Joe My God, a gay blogger - who detailed Dominique Venner (and now the head of the National Front, Marie Le Pen has come out praising his actions.)

I was not trying to imply that this man was suffering. I was just answering the question about how the Catholic Church views suicide. The underlined portion was emphasized as the main part of the answer--that the Church does not believe someone is responsible for a suicide with those circumstances. If any of that applies to this man, it would, IMO, likely be "grave psychological disturbance".

This is tragic.

-- A right-wing historian and author killed himself inside the Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris Tuesday in front of horrified tourists, police said.

Why would he do that in front of tourists? Because he wrote a note, I'm guessing that he planned his suicide so why not wait until he was alone?

Right-wing politician Marine Le Pen tweeted about her "respect" for him. His "last gesture, which was highly political, was to try to wake up the people of France," she wrote.

I was not trying to imply that this man was suffering. I was just answering the question about how the Catholic Church views suicide. The underlined portion was emphasized as the main part of the answer--that the Church does not believe someone is responsible for a suicide with those circumstances. If any of that applies to this man, it would, IMO, likely be "grave psychological disturbance".

He could also have had a "grave fear" that the legalization of same-sex marriage would have caused him to be persecuted for his beliefs. Kind of in the same way that American fundies make the leap from "our town was asked not to display a Christmas manger scene at the courthouse anymore" to "OMG, atheists are going to round us up in our worship services and shoot us all!"

What a terrible story this is all around. His poor family.

M. Venner's suicide sadly demonstrates the corrosive, destructive powers of hate, bigotry, and fear. Whatever demons pursued him in this life, I hope he knows God's peace and mercy now. My prayers are with his family, the first responders, and all who witnessed his suicide.

All I can say is: good ridence. People might riducle me for my opinion; but I don't care. I care more about the his family than him. Think of all the LGBT people who commit suicide because of bigots hiding behind religion and the right-wingers care about this fascist bigot commtting suicide when right-wingers comment on news articles that gay teens should toughen up when they're bullied because the world isn't a nice place to live in; or why care about gay suicides when they happen every day; but when a facist bigot committs suicide it's big news to them; yet they're so Goddamn pro-life? Puh-lease. When there are numerous deaths because straight people are being denied to marry and are being bullied for who they are; then come back to me. I have no sympathy for a marytr who committs suicide in front of children to get a point across.

shaking-head-no-smiley-emoticon_zpsa7e4e408.gif

shaking-head-no-smiley-emoticon_zpsa7e4e408.gif

That's close, but it has a happy face. I'm guessing that's in our little smilie box, and I'm blind. Dang. :embarrassed:

ARIS – Crowds of visitors were cleared out of Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris after a man put a letter on the altar of the 850-year-old monument Tuesday, pulled out a gun and shot himself in the head, the cathedral's rector said.

It's the first suicide in decades at the landmark site, Monsignor Patrick Jacquin told The Associated Press.

"It's unfortunate, it's dramatic, it's shocking," Jacquin said. The motives for the suicide, and the contents of the man's letter, were unclear.

A police official says officers closed the cathedral to the public and were investigating. It's highly unusual for the cathedral, visited by some 13 million people from around the world every year, to be evacuated.

Police, the Paris prosecutor and church employees gathered inside the cathedral, while puzzled tourists crowded outside on the island in the Seine River that has been home to the cathedral since the 12th century. This year Notre Dame got new bells as part of celebrations marking 850 years since construction on the cathedral began.

Tuesday's death comes less than a week after another unusual suicide in central Paris, when a man shot himself in front of a dozen schoolchildren at a private Catholic school in the French capital.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/world/2013/05/21 ... z2TySUKG7H

Isn't this a mortal sin? And I hadn't heard about the guy traumatizing children...how is this supposed to add to their cause?

I am too familiar with this subject, since I have a sibling who has attempts...From what I have been told, depression/suicide are no longer a mortal sin, the church recognizes it as a mental illness, thus one will not be sent to hell for the act. I believe this change occurred after Vatican II. (This is what I have been told over the years in regards to my sibling,. So I am not sure the accuracy of my statements. But I was very worried, when I was more of a conservative Catholic, that my sibling was going to hell if had a successful attempt.)

(Bolding mine.)

All I can say is: good ridence. People might riducle me for my opinion; but I don't care. I care more about the his family than him. Think of all the LGBT people who commit suicide because of bigots hiding behind religion and the right-wingers care about this fascist bigot commtting suicide when right-wingers comment on news articles that gay teens should toughen up when they're bullied because the world isn't a nice place to live in; or why care about gay suicides when they happen every day; but when a facist bigot committs suicide it's big news to them; yet they're so Goddamn pro-life? Puh-lease. When there are numerous deaths because straight people are being denied to marry and are being bullied for who they are; then come back to me. I have no sympathy for a marytr who committs suicide in front of children to get a point across.

This, I'm French and I'm so fed up of those anti-gay people who have loudly demonstrate over and over since last November.

Even now, the law is voted and they still have a big demo planned in Paris next Sunday... They'll never give up...

I didn't know about this man, he was 78 years old and was a hard-core right wing activist since the 50's, but I have no interest in this kind of person :roll:

That's close, but it has a happy face. I'm guessing that's in our little smilie box, and I'm blind. Dang. :embarrassed:

No need to be embarrassed. I found that one on the net. It's the closest I've found so far.

I didn't know about this man, he was 78 years old and was a hard-core right wing activist since the 50's, but I have no interest in this kind of person :roll:

Good riddance, that's what came to my mind at first glance, and this hasn't changed after learning about this good gentleman. Bury him. Quick...

I feel sorry for the janitorial staff who had to clean up his mess. Blood and brain matter is a bitch to get out of marble.

Archived