IGNORED

Warning! Daycare is making our children mentally ill

snuggles911

Sunshine Mary of sunshinemaryandthedragon.wordpress.com has a post today about how money-grubbing feminists are trying to get the U.S. to offer paid maternity leave and high quality daycare to its citizens like those evil Europeans. Sunshine believes this is a ploy that will allow the State to take over our families while forcing men to shoulder an unfair tax burden to pay for these luxuries.

Daycare is evil, per Sunshine who obeys are husband and doesn't use it. It also can cause mental illness:

Up to 20 percent of children in the United States suffer from a mental disorder, and the number of kids diagnosed with one has been rising for more than a decade, according to a report released on Thursday by the U.S. Center for Disease Control and Prevention [..] The study cited data collected between 1994 and 2011 that showed the number of kids with mental disorders is growing.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/health/2013/05/1 ... z2TZXwv8OU

I’m sure the rise in childhood mental illness is just a coincidence and that all those loving daycare workers are just a fine substitute for a mother’s love and care.

She also takes issue with Ann-Marie Slaughter, a feminist who recently wrote a piece for the Atlantic advocating for better treatment of working mothers.

Day care workers do not love the children they care for. They may care about them, but they do not love them; it is dishonest and denies human nature to claim that they do. Should children spend fifty hours per week with someone who does not love them? Only a very sick society would choose this, but Ms. Slaughter is fully on board with it.

Gosh, as if I didn't have enough to feel guilty about as a working mom. Almost makes me want to resign from my job and go home to bake a few pies.

Sunshine Mary of sunshinemaryandthedragon.wordpress.com has a post today about how money-grubbing feminists are trying to get the U.S. to offer paid maternity leave and high quality daycare to its citizens like those evil Europeans. Sunshine believes this is a ploy that will allow the State to take over our families while forcing men to shoulder an unfair tax burden to pay for these luxuries.

Daycare is evil, per Sunshine who obeys are husband and doesn't use it. It also can cause mental illness:

Gosh, as if I didn't have enough to feel guilty about as a working mom. Almost makes me want to resign from my job and go home to bake a few pies.

As long as it's just ALMOST.

Up to 20 percent of children in the United States suffer from a mental disorder, and the number of kids diagnosed with one has been rising for more than a decade, according to a report released on Thursday by the U.S. Center for Disease Control and Prevention [..] The study cited data collected between 1994 and 2011 that showed the number of kids with mental disorders is growing.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/health/2013/05/1 ... z2TZXwv8OU

I’m sure the rise in childhood mental illness is just a coincidence and that all those loving daycare workers are just a fine substitute for a mother’s love and care.

In 1995, only 10% of Americans used the Internet. In 2011, 78% do. [Citation]

Over the same period of time, the number of diagnosed cases of melanoma in the United States have increased. Coincidence? I THINK NOT.

Sure, some people may try to tell you that randomly citing statistics without drawing a clear connection between them is a bad way to win an argument, and say ridiculous things like "correlation is not causation," but they are telling you Satanic lies from the pits of hell. The data showing that using the Internet causes skin cancer is as ironclad as the data that shows, say, that going to daycare causes childhood mental illnesses. And the numbers never lie.

Post hoc, ergo propter hoc and other logical fallacies are clearly not present at Sunshine Mary's SOTDRT.

Interesting because I had social phobia, agoraphobia and horrible anxiety issues as a child. I never went to daycare. My mom was a SAHM.

My friend's brother has bipolar disorder and schizophrenia. He never set foot in a daycare. He was a bright student until he hit adolescence. But he was raised by a single mother (his father died when he was young), but he never went to daycare.

She also takes issue with Ann-Marie Slaughter, a feminist who recently wrote a piece for the Atlantic advocating for better treatment of working mothers.

Break it down, Sunshine; sound out the parts: DAY-care WORK-er, not DAY-care PAR-ent.

Who exactly is claiming that daycare providers love children like their families do? I don't think there's a parent alive who thinks, let alone expects, a daycare provider to love their kiddos like they do. That's not the point of daycare.

But Sunshine does perfectly model fundie binary thinking: either kids are with their parents, or kids are being neglected. Nothing in the middle.

There aren't enough smilie eyerolls on the internet for her inanity.

So am I safe to assume Sunshine Mary was sent to daycare?

Maybe she shared a sleeping mat with uber-Catholic Abigail.

Well dear SM-Mary, in Scandinavia and France as good as 99% of children are in daycare. Some from infant age on.

They do exceptionally well within PISA tests (especially scandinavian children) and levels of immune inefficy, allergies and even obesity rates are even lower than in other european or "1st world" countries in general.

Also, I spent a year in Sweden and I did in fact encounter LESS mentally ill people in total (streets, health sector where I worked, within families) than I did in Austria, where we have a less developed day care system, compared to Scandinavia. And it´s ALOT darker and grim in Sweden!

I take issue with the part about daycare workers not loving the kids. Some do. I did when I worked in a daycare and keep up with some of the kids I took care of over fifteen years ago- all are in highschool and college now. My children have had teachers that loved them. My teenager has daycare teachers from when he was a baby that have stayed in touch via Facebook. There are different types of love, sure, but to say my children have not been loved while they are in daycare? Nah...

Those teachers are not ther just for money, that is for sure!

Maybe she shared a sleeping mat with uber-Catholic Abigail.

And maybe Kidist, too.

Great, now I'm imagining a daycare with crazy ass fundies. This could be a movie, a mix of "Children of the Corn," Jesus Camp" and "Daddy Day Care."

I just went on Sunshine's blog to read the comments and daycare is even worse than I thought. Social ills could drop by 70 percent if moms would just raise their own kids, according to one commentator.

You’ve probably seen the effects of this, but it’s in the medical literature by euphemism, so even the doctors accept it’s reality.

ADHD is, for the majority, caused by family turmoil. It’s the largest known cause, just above 50% in a few studies I came across. (It’s always a different euphemism)

Daycare is also highly correlated with behavioral disorders. Even when it isn’t, by anecdotes (from seeing a lot of kids), being in daycare also makes them significantly louder and more obnoxious for several years.

Effectively all of the “social ills†of society would drop by 70-75% by mothers marrying and staying married to the father of their first child, taking care of them until they’re 6, and reading to them for 15 minutes a day, every day, from age 6 months to 6 years. And that isn’t speculation nor a joke.

I have worked in childcare. I loved most of those children, really loved them (on the level of an aunt, I'd say). I was also a damn sight more fun and involved than I am as a mother.

Not true for all daycares, but that's an argument for better daycare and full subsidy.

Effectively all of the “social ills†of society would drop by 70-75% by mothers marrying and staying married to the father of their first child, taking care of them until they’re 6, and reading to them for 15 minutes a day, every day, from age 6 months to 6 years. And that isn’t speculation nor a joke.

WTF? I won't argue that the number of children diagnosed with a mental illness is on the rise. This could be caused by a number of things, including mentally ill children actually being more likely to receive a diagnosis, but what the flying f**k does that have to do with day cares? The article doesn't even mention day care.

Please note, Sunshine Mary, correlation DOES NOT EQUAL causality.

Um. I may just be feeling uppity about taking a five-hour comprehensive exam yesterday to (finally!!!) get my MS in psychology. Damned librul education! And me, a woman!!

More kids are not GETTING mental illness. It is not something you catch like the chicken pox. More kids are receiving PROPER DIAGNOSIS AND TREATMENT. Take Autism. Mental Retardation used to be a catch-all. More kids are now diagnosed with Autism or both. They are qualitatively different.

Now, I have no beef with homeschooling, but without a parent who has some sort of comparative knowledge on educating young children, their kids may be LESS likely to receive care appropriate for cognitive or communicative issues. If you don't know shit about where your child is supposed to be academically, or have nothing but siblings for comparison, how would you know that Little Johnny has a learning disorder?

ETA: Good call, EMS!! I guess I was typing while you were submitting:) Is there a high five smiley?

Um. I may just be feeling uppity about taking a five-hour comprehensive exam yesterday to (finally!!!) get my MS in psychology. Damned librul education! And me, a woman!!

More kids are not GETTING mental illness. It is not something you catch like the chicken pox. More kids are receiving PROPER DIAGNOSIS AND TREATMENT. Take Autism. Mental Retardation used to be a catch-all. More kids are now diagnosed with Autism or both. They are qualitatively different.

Now, I have no beef with homeschooling, but without a parent who has some sort of comparative knowledge on educating young children, their kids may be LESS likely to receive care appropriate for cognitive or communicative issues. If you don't know shit about where your child is supposed to be academically, or have nothing but siblings for comparison, how would you know that Little Johnny has a learning disorder?

Absolutely. Look at the Duggar lost girls, especially Josie.

Wouldn't paid maternity leave result in fewer babies in daycare?

Logic. It's a bitch. Also, it's taught in the evil public school system, so we can't have any of it, can we? :D

I was never in daycare, I'm pretty sure my mother stayed home with us at least until I was 6, she stayed married to my father past that point, and she read to us probably for at least 20-30 minutes a day, and I still developed crippling anxiety and depression by the time I was 13, so what went wrong?

My mum stayed home till I was 7 or 8, and my parents have been married almost 45 years. I've had crippling anxiety my entire life and depression since I was a teenager. I've never been in a day care. Oh where, oh where did my parents go wrong?

Logic she does not have it.

Wouldn't paid maternity leave result in fewer babies in daycare?

But to have paid maternity leave, the mothers must be *gasp* working! Outside of the house and away from their duties as submissive servant to the head of their house and as educator of and incubator for children. And we just can't allow that one, now can we? *faints*

Archived