IGNORED

NBA Player Comes Out

keen23

Here's why his brother says he did it:

What does Jason want out of this? He wants to live his life. He wants a relationship, he wants a family, he wants to settle down. He wants to move forward with his personal life while maintaining his life as a professional basketball player. That’s all, really.

Wants to settle down? How is this going to help him settle down? He will forever be "officially" the first active gay in major professional sports. His life will never settle down now.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ack! I thought I had specified that he was the first out male in the big four professional sports. I am aware that the WNBA has had out players for years. I apologize for the confusion.

No problem, keen23! One advantage of being my age is that there is so much more history that I've lived through. I'm not olf enough to have remembered Big Bill Tilden, though!

ETA: While figuring skating may seem to a safe place for a guy to be out, the closet is pretty deep in the world of men's skating. Dick Button, 1948 and 1952 Olympic Gold medalist, several times US and World champion and figure skating commentator, has never come out despite being gay-bashed in Central Park. Toller Cranston eventually came out. (I love Toller! He was so innovative and artistic!) I don't think Ondrej Nepala came out until he had developed AIDS. I can't recall the name of the book, but a woman sports journalist did write a book about how many male skaters are gay. I do wish that Brian Boitano and Scott Wylie would come out already.

I'm so fond of this man. He wore 98 as his jersey number in homage to Matthew Shepard and Matt's mother was very touched by it. It's one of those few times when queer-related things on the news make me smile.

Wants to settle down? How is this going to help him settle down? He will forever be "officially" the first active gay in major professional sports. His life will never settle down now.

Yeah, settle down. Find someone he loves and have a life together. Is it so hard for you to comprehend that a gay person would want to live a normal life.

I think it's pretty clear from the statement that his brother is saying Jason wants to get married and raise a family. You know, "settle down". He clearly can't stay in the closet and have a husband at the same time.

I think it's pretty clear from the statement that his brother is saying Jason wants to get married and raise a family. You know, "settle down". He clearly can't stay in the closet and have a husband at the same time.

Well, he could. Queer people have done it for a long time. It doesn't appear that it's what he wants, though.

Well, he could. Queer people have done it for a long time. It doesn't appear that it's what he wants, though.

Yes, but legal marriage is an option for many gay people now and if that's his goal, and it sounds like it may be, it's clearly not one compatible with the closet. Especially not for a professional BB player.

He mentioned wanting to be in control of his coming out experience. As a pro-athlete, he couldn't glass closet and date. He's in or he's out. If he wants to meet someone and start a family, he risks getting outed - someone takes a picture of him in a gay bar, someone recognizes him on a dating website, a vengeful ex posts photos online (recently happened to another athlete).

Made the mistake of listening to the local radio this morning. One guy called in and said he wasn't homophobic or anything but he's worried about a gay athlete spreading HIV because people get injured in sports and bleed. And the poor non-gay athletes shouldn't have to take that risk.

FACE PALM.

Ugh. It's 2013, and some people still think that HIV is a gay-exclusive disease? And that every gay man must have it? :x :x

Bravo to Jason; I really liked his statement!

Made the mistake of listening to the local radio this morning. One guy called in and said he wasn't homophobic or anything but he's worried about a gay athlete spreading HIV because people get injured in sports and bleed. And the poor non-gay athletes shouldn't have to take that risk.

FACE PALM.

Knowing a couple of pro athletes and their groupie loving ways, I'd worry more about the straight guys on the teams spreading STDs when they bleed during a game. But then I keep forgetting that teh ebil gays are the only ones who get HIV. My bad.

The HIV argument is so 1980's. Magic Johnson came out as HIV positive and straight years ago.

Ugh, the resident tea party enthusiast (who also posts Sarah Palin's 'words of wisdom' constantly) on my Facebook posted this:

post-3886-14451997860171_thumb.jpg

Yeah, settle down. Find someone he loves and have a life together. Is it so hard for you to comprehend that a gay person would want to live a normal life.

QFT!

People find out someone is gay and think they are having oiled-up gay sex orgies 24/7. The truth is gay people are just as boring as straight people. I can ask my friend Rian what he and his boyfriend did over the week-end, and he'll say,"Oh ran some errands, cleaned the house, rented some movies from Red Box, and fell asleep on the couch. We then went to AJ's parents house for brunch on Sunday, made lasagne for dinner, and watched "The Good Wife."

Ugh, the resident tea party enthusiast (who also posts Sarah Palin's 'words of wisdom' constantly) on my Facebook posted this:

[attachment=0]940925_297491387050713_1783985145_n.jpg[/attachment]

Is this not the truth? It seems to me this shows exactly how the media is acting hypocritical. If I were gay, I'd be embarrassed at the dog and pony show that has gone on with this.

Guest Anonymous

Is this not the truth? It seems to me this shows exactly how the media is acting hypocritical. If I were gay, I'd be embarrassed at the dog and pony show that has gone on with this.

No. Are you kidding? Where have you been? The media has been so intensely interested in Tebow's Christianity that even I have been made aware of it, even though I don't follow his sport and live thousands of miles away (in a country that does not give the slightest fuck about his sport). Let's not pretend that Tim Tebow's faith has been neglected, shunned or ignored.

oh, look, jericho is back

you should have stopped at "if I were gay," by the way

[attachment=0]940925_297491387050713_1783985145_n.jpg[/attachment]

Why do you "let" Palin post on your facebook? They have buttons to stop that.

Knowing a couple of pro athletes and their groupie loving ways, I'd worry more about the straight guys on the teams spreading STDs when they bleed during a game. But then I keep forgetting that teh ebil gays are the only ones who get HIV. My bad.

I refuse to believe people are this stupid.

I remember Greg Louganis, homosexual and HIV positive, competing in the Olympics. He hit his head of the diving board and the media went balistic about the danger to others. I remember a wonderful interview with the Australian diver in the same event who said that they all knew he was HIV positive and had known for years and it didn't bother any of them to be in the pool with him. He added something about Louganis taking lots of precautions to protect others which is more than most people do when going to the pool.

Back to the basketballer: One of my fundy-in-law's has covered his facebook page with the Tebow / Jason comparisons. His argument falls down a bit though because I knew who Tebow was, thanks to the huge amount of online attention he has had. The other guy I had to google to find out who he was and what he had done.

This is especially significant for the Black LGBT community and the Black community as a whole. Separate from just regular American notions of what a man should be like, we (much of the community) have some outdated ideas off the back of Black Nationalism that despise anything that goes against the hyper-masculine Black male image. Very courageous for Collins to have done this.

Back to the basketballer: One of my fundy-in-law's has covered his facebook page with the Tebow / Jason comparisons. His argument falls down a bit though because I knew who Tebow was, thanks to the huge amount of online attention he has had. The other guy I had to google to find out who he was and what he had done.

The point of the Tebow cartoon was how the media reacts between someone who fits the liberal narrative and someone who does not. It's quite obvious that Tebow got lots of press coverage (although it was over a longer stretch of time compared to the shove down our throats in one day that Collins had)

Why do you "let" Palin post on your facebook? They have buttons to stop that.

Well, this woman was an old friend of my mom's. At the time, I felt like I should add her. I knew she was a religious fundamentalist, but I didn't know how extreme she'd become. I've thought about removing her, but I kind of feel like I should keep up with what people are thinking even if it makes me angry. I hate Facebook anyway, so I ignore it for long periods of time. The weird mix of people on mine makes it just feel like an utterly useless thing to me. I prefer my social networking to be more compartmentalized. ^^

The point of the Tebow cartoon was how the media reacts between someone who fits the liberal narrative and someone who does not. It's quite obvious that Tebow got lots of press coverage (although it was over a longer stretch of time compared to the shove down our throats in one day that Collins had)

Right. Read that again: Tebow got lots of press coverage. Therefore negating the "point" of that cartoon.

And can there please be a new rule that no one anyone ever can use the phrase "shove down our throats" (especially in regard to gay issues) again?

Do you think Tebow wasn't "shoving it down our throats" every time he genuflected on the field and started every presser with "I'd like to thank my lord and saviour Jesus Christ"? I actually have no real problem with Tebow since I believe in freedom of religion. However I also believe in freedom from religion.

Oops, forgot what I came here to post.

Leroy Butler, a former Green Bay Packer, tweeted a congrats to Jason for coming out.

Next day, a Wisconsin church canceled Butler's appearance at their church, citing the morals clause of his contract.

Butler tweeted about what had happened (he just called it "sad"), but did not ID the church. They replied thanking him for that. Because, y'know, homophobes need their privacy.

On the plus side, several other churches he's scheduled to visit have no problem with Butler's morals.

No. Are you kidding? Where have you been? The media has been so intensely interested in Tebow's Christianity that even I have been made aware of it, even though I don't follow his sport and live thousands of miles away (in a country that does not give the slightest fuck about his sport). Let's not pretend that Tim Tebow's faith has been neglected, shunned or ignored.

Exactly. Tebow got a tongue bath from the media.

No problem, keen23! One advantage of being my age is that there is so much more history that I've lived through. I'm not olf enough to have remembered Big Bill Tilden, though!

ETA: While figuring skating may seem to a safe place for a guy to be out, the closet is pretty deep in the world of men's skating. Dick Button, 1948 and 1952 Olympic Gold medalist, several times US and World champion and figure skating commentator, has never come out despite being gay-bashed in Central Park. Toller Cranston eventually came out. (I love Toller! He was so innovative and artistic!) I don't think Ondrej Nepala came out until he had developed AIDS. I can't recall the name of the book, but a woman sports journalist did write a book about how many male skaters are gay. I do wish that Brian Boitano and Scott Wylie would come out already.

Hold up. Brian Boitano is in the closet?

Archived