IGNORED

NBA Player Comes Out

keen23

No problem, keen23! One advantage of being my age is that there is so much more history that I've lived through. I'm not olf enough to have remembered Big Bill Tilden, though!

ETA: While figuring skating may seem to a safe place for a guy to be out, the closet is pretty deep in the world of men's skating. Dick Button, 1948 and 1952 Olympic Gold medalist, several times US and World champion and figure skating commentator, has never come out despite being gay-bashed in Central Park. Toller Cranston eventually came out. (I love Toller! He was so innovative and artistic!) I don't think Ondrej Nepala came out until he had developed AIDS. I can't recall the name of the book, but a woman sports journalist did write a book about how many male skaters are gay. I do wish that Brian Boitano and Scott Wylie would come out already.

True, there are many male skaters that are gay, but there are just as many that are not. It drives me crazy when people assume that male skaters must be gay, and I'm not referring to you, PennySycamore. While skating does have an effeminate side, it's also an athletic sport. After the way Brian Orser was outed, I don't know why Brian Boitano would feel the need to announce he's gay. It's pretty well known in skating circles that he's gay. I'm not sure who Scott Wylie is, but both Scott Hamilton and Paul Wylie are both happily married.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Oops, forgot what I came here to post.

Leroy Butler, a former Green Bay Packer, tweeted a congrats to Jason for coming out.

Next day, a Wisconsin church canceled Butler's appearance at their church, citing the morals clause of his contract.

Butler tweeted about what had happened (he just called it "sad"), but did not ID the church. They replied thanking him for that. Because, y'know, homophobes need their privacy.

On the plus side, several other churches he's scheduled to visit have no problem with Butler's morals.

Thanks for sharing that. I looked it up after I read your post, (Cheesehead) the interview he did is really touching and although I am not religious, he seems to have a "genuine" christian view.

http://www.postcrescent.com/article/20130502/APC02/305020406/Former-Green-Bay-Packers-great-LeRoy-Butler-talks-Anderson-Cooper-about-church-flap

That's not what Brian Boitano would do. It would be sort of like the Pope making an announcement that he's Catholic.

Thanks for sharing that. I looked it up after I read your post, (Cheesehead) the interview he did is really touching and although I am not religious, he seems to have a "genuine" christian view.

http://www.postcrescent.com/article/20130502/APC02/305020406/Former-Green-Bay-Packers-great-LeRoy-Butler-talks-Anderson-Cooper-about-church-flap

Yep, Leroy Butler is good people. For the most part the Packers are good guys. Thank goodness!

And this sports journalist needs to simma down now! I can't believe some people still hold the belief that being gay is a choice. Aargh!

http://www.salon.com/2013/05/02/heres_t ... lumn_ever/

Jericho, white Christian man is the default in America; so when somebody comes out as gay in the sports industry; of course it's a big deal and will get a lot of good press from most news sources. OMG! T-Bow is praying and doing the opposite of what the Bible says about praying in public! Are Christians denied any freedoms in America? OMG! Loads of celebrities are known for being Christian and aren't critiqued for it; because that's the American norm in society supposedly, but people whine about gays coming out of the closet being a big deal.

Do you know why it's a big deal? Because LGBT aren't allowed to marry across the country. Untill they recieve their rights, it will stop being a big deal. If you think that there shouldn't be gay marriage because it redefines traditional marriage, whatever the hell that means, then why are you upset that people are critizing straight white Christian men if it's presented as the default in American society? Are they being accused of playing the gay/race card? If no, then shut the fuck up.

Archived