IGNORED

Sarah Mally is 32 and unmarried

homeschoolmomma1

A different look at SAHD 32 and unmarried. Who would question a 32 year old attorney not being married? No one. She'd be too busy to get married. Ditto a 32 year old MD, CPA or even a 32 year old nail technician. I guess when I look at it this way, it's not so bad......Of course, the guy having to go thru something akin to a Spiritual Secret Service background check just to say "Hi, I think you are lovely," might still play into the single-thing.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A different look at SAHD 32 and unmarried. Who would question a 32 year old attorney not being married? No one. She'd be too busy to get married. Ditto a 32 year old MD, CPA or even a 32 year old nail technician. I guess when I look at it this way, it's not so bad......Of course, the guy having to go thru something akin to a Spiritual Secret Service background check just to say "Hi, I think you are lovely," might still play into the single-thing.

Well the attorney is free, living on her own, most probably having sex on her terms... This girl is doing what her parents say, her career is supposed to be baby making but she's taking a long time to get to it... so I'd say she's the reverse of the 32 year old unmarried attorney woman...

It's not BAD, it's just hypocritical. If your bread and butter is traveling around the country telling people how they should want to get married and how having children is the highest calling, I don't see how you can expect your audience to ignore the fact that you're 32 and unmarried. I mean, it's OKAY to be 32 and unmarried, there's nothing wrong with it at all, but if you're holding marriage up as this ultimate ideal to which all women should aspire......you can't be all that surprised if people think the fact that you're not actually married, or even engaged, might dilute your message a bit.

In nonfundie terms, Sarah would be considered successful. I've tried and tried to get a book published and can't, yet she is already an influential writer(at least in fundie circles)

There is nothing wrong with being single no matter what your age. People shouldn't feel that they need a spouse to be complete.

But Sarah makes money off her own hypocrisy. Young women, many who must feel that their life's purpose is to have children, read her boosk and absorb the message that they need to remain pure and unattached to any man. If they just do as she says, their prince will come. Yet, her advice probably makes it more difficult for a young woman to find a husband.

Also, I grew up when women were being told to not expect a prince to save them. The older generation of women spoke out about how waiting for the perfect man to swoop in and rescue them had damaged them in life. I find the message that Sarah sells is disturbing and harmful.

I think there's another reason for the singleness, and it has to do with Jinger's claim that men don't want to be pursued. While there are all kinds of different men in the world, men who are bred their whole lives to be "manly warriors" and going to turn into a walking caricature of machismo. They are going to expect to be "obeyed" and they will want a "pure" wife, but they will also want the satisfaction of "winning" a virgin. When a girl is out there constantly talking about how she can't wait to get married and have babies, and how she is waiting for her prince, blah blah blah, the fundie dude is going to be as turned off by that air of desperation as a frat boy being chased after a 1-night-stand, even if said fundie dude is himself also looking for a wife and family.

At the same time, as sweet a deal as "Biblical patriarchy" can be for many men, the "manly man" training, most especially of the VF variety, is also not 100% compatible with the level of sacrifice required to provide for a mega-family. If you're obsessive about teaching yours sons to have an "explorer's spirit", do dangerous things, etc., don't be surprised if they don't want to move straight from your home into a duplex with a whiny starry-eyed former SAHD and fill up the rooms with screaming babies, supporting them with 14-hour days of manual labor, and acting as "spiritual leader" on Sunday mornings... :roll:

But this woman's entire business is marriage. The better analogy would be taking legal advice from a 32 year-old aspiring attorney who hasn't even been to law school yet, or a 32 year-old nail technician writing a manual when she has never actually done any manicures yet.

Wasn't Lizzie Borden about 32 or so when she killed her parents? Lizzie Borden took an axe . . . . :)

Wasn't Lizzie Borden about 32 or so when she killed her parents? Lizzie Borden took an axe . . . . :)

Yes she was and you know whats freaky Lizzy Bordens killed her parents of Aug 4th. Did you know that?

OMG, that's right!!! I hadn't thought about the fact that it was today! 1892 or 1893, I can't remember which.

I just watch the episode and I think Sarah Mally looks very very thin. :shock:

I just DLed the episode and watched it (in between the season finale of The Real L-Word and the latest Candy Bar Girls episode: I drown fundie in a puddle of homosexual drama :lol: ). She is painfully thin. That pink baggy blouse did its best to disguise it but her arms were very telling.

Archived