IGNORED

New member answers questions (countryboy)

meda

Fundies scare so easily when they have to defend their beliefs.

Maybe he will come back for fundie Friday.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wether he comes back or not,you all made him think-Im sure he has more questions than answers now(a good thing).Unfortunately,I fear he will seek the answers from within the sheltered fundie community.(a sad thing).I can only hope that if he made it here,he wants to find answers from the RW.Or maybe he just wanted a chance to talk about gay people being sodomites.What an ignoramus!

Well when I was young I was anti-choice, anti-gay and fundie in my religious beliefs. And now look at me. :lol: So there is hope.

:shock: Just how dangerous is it to live in the rural USA? I grew up in the countryside too (not the US) and now live in Scotland, where there's a whole lot of countryside too. The only "weapon" I've ever needed were my hands. They're pretty useful, when it comes to slapping cows on the backside (to get them out of the road) or chasing a flock of sheep away (get out of the road, damnit). For any other emergencies, I have an entrenching tool (so far only used for digging and opening beer bottles, and hopefully never for more than that), a Swiss Army knife (tins, beer bottles, cutting stuff and emergency car repairs) and duct tape. I can see though, how bears and wolves might be an issue.

I can't compare, since the most dangerous animal I've ever met were wild boars. Back home, the forestry commission recommends that you leg it or climb a tree, because those beasts are ruthless. I had a small dog with me, which was too heavy to drag up a tree, so we ran - they lost interest. Trying to shoot at them would have lost me valuable time in getting out in the open, where they don't like to be. No casualties, except one shaken human, and one small dog yapping. So, how dangerous is the American countryside? Or am I mistaken, and you need all that gear to use against other humans?

I live on the outskirts of a small city (just over 20,000 people). When I go walking in the woods near my house I take pepper spray, it is primarily for the black bears, coyotes and wolves (bad humans too). But depending on the season and situation the deer and the occasional moose can be dangerous. We also have cougars, I would carry a gun for the cougars because the pepper spray wouldn't be enough to stop one, but with the cougars you probably wouldn't even get the chance to pull the gun so I don't bother. For other emergencies in my car I carry: hatchet, saw, shovel, kitty litter (for traction in the ice/snow) first aid kit, sleeping bag, tarp, water, granola bars, matches, candles, flashlight, tow ropes, emergency flares and a tool box.

edited once for grammar

:shock: Just how dangerous is it to live in the rural USA? I grew up in the countryside too (not the US) and now live in Scotland, where there's a whole lot of countryside too. The only "weapon" I've ever needed were my hands. They're pretty useful, when it comes to slapping cows on the backside (to get them out of the road) or chasing a flock of sheep away (get out of the road, damnit). For any other emergencies, I have an entrenching tool (so far only used for digging and opening beer bottles, and hopefully never for more than that), a Swiss Army knife (tins, beer bottles, cutting stuff and emergency car repairs) and duct tape. I can see though, how bears and wolves might be an issue.

I can't compare, since the most dangerous animal I've ever met were wild boars. Back home, the forestry commission recommends that you leg it or climb a tree, because those beasts are ruthless. I had a small dog with me, which was too heavy to drag up a tree, so we ran - they lost interest. Trying to shoot at them would have lost me valuable time in getting out in the open, where they don't like to be. No casualties, except one shaken human, and one small dog yapping. So, how dangerous is the American countryside? Or am I mistaken, and you need all that gear to use against other humans?

I have a friend who is about the furthest thing from fundy and she owns several guns and has a concealed carry permit. She lives alone on a mountain in the middle of nowhere for part of the year. When she moved up there, her closest neighbor told her to buy a shotgun in case of bears. Months later, she was walking to the mailbox with her dog and another neighbor's unleashed dog got out of the house and mauled/ate my friend's dog. He almost died and needed extensive reconstructive surgery. The neighbor basically didn't give a shit at all. She bought a pistol to carry to the mailbox after that and would have used it on the dog had something like that happened again.

It always amazes me when Americans get all excited and freaked out about our dangerous wildlife here in Australia. Yes, we have snakes and spiders and crocodiles and even a lethal little octopus, but you guys have bears! And wolves! And mountain lions! And rattlesnakes, scorpions, etc, but your big scary mammals freak me out much more than snakes. A kangaroo isn't going to eat you.... (In fact we have very few carnivorous native mammals, especially if you discount dingos, which aren't technically native). I can't think of any apart from the Tasmanian devil and the quoll, though I'm sure there are others.

I have a friend who is about the furthest thing from fundy and she owns several guns and has a concealed carry permit. She lives alone on a mountain in the middle of nowhere for part of the year. When she moved up there, her closest neighbor told her to buy a shotgun in case of bears. Months later, she was walking to the mailbox with her dog and another neighbor's unleashed dog got out of the house and mauled/ate my friend's dog. He almost died and needed extensive reconstructive surgery. The neighbor basically didn't give a shit at all. She bought a pistol to carry to the mailbox after that and would have used it on the dog had something like that happened again.

Thanks for answering. I'm not familiar with the US, so that explains some of it.

It always amazes me when Americans get all excited and freaked out about our dangerous wildlife here in Australia. Yes, we have snakes and spiders and crocodiles and even a lethal little octopus, but you guys have bears! And wolves! And mountain lions! And rattlesnakes, scorpions, etc, but your big scary mammals freak me out much more than snakes. A kangaroo isn't going to eat you.... (In fact we have very few carnivorous native mammals, especially if you discount dingos, which aren't technically native). I can't think of any apart from the Tasmanian devil and the quoll, though I'm sure there are others.

I can't speak for us all, but what freaks me out about your Australian wildlife is that it's the small, fairly innocuous-looking things that can kill people - brown snakes, stone fish, Irukandji jellyfish. The big stuff just isn't scary in the same way.

I can't speak for us all, but what freaks me out about your Australian wildlife is that it's the small, fairly innocuous-looking things that can kill people - brown snakes, stone fish, Irukandji jellyfish. The big stuff just isn't scary in the same way.

For me at least it also has to do with familiarity. I'm used to the local wildlife, I know how to recognize them, how to avoid dangerous situations with them and what to do when threatened by them. I'm not sure I'd be able to tell a dangerous brown snake from some species that isn't as venomous and I don't really have a clue about how to treat a snake bite.

For me at least it also has to do with familiarity. I'm used to the local wildlife, I know how to recognize them, how to avoid dangerous situations with them and what to do when threatened by them. I'm not sure I'd be able to tell a dangerous brown snake from some species that isn't as venomous and I don't really have a clue about how to treat a snake bite.

That makes sense - in the same way I'm wary but still pretty confident around snakes, but would freak out if I stumbled upon a wild bear.

That makes sense - in the same way I'm wary but still pretty confident around snakes, but would freak out if I stumbled upon a wild bear.

I think also odds of finding bear in your house much smaller than odds of finding spider in your house. Snakes near your house are probably more common than bears unless you live in pretty specific areas of the US, as well.

Mostly the big wildlife wants to leave you alone and you want to leave it alone. It really only comes near houses because we've encroached on it's natural habitat by building and it has no where else to go.

Unlike spiders which are just scary fuckers that think they can go anywhere and walk on you and are relatively tiny, yet can kill you.

That being said, I don't mind "pet" type spiders too much. Tarantulas aren't nearly as creepy/scary to me as those tiny fuckers that just crawl around in your house randomly.

Snakes and spiders tend to want to leave people alone too. I've had many encounters with snakes, but my nephew (who was too young to know to leave it alone) is the only person I know personally who has been bitten.

Guest Anonymous
Fundies scare so easily when they have to defend their beliefs.

Maybe he will come back for fundie Friday.

It's Friiiiiiiidaaaaay!

Where are you, Country Boy? :D

I reallly think that is his blog and once he realized we knew who he was he did ran.

Whew lot of questions lol, I'll get to them later as I get time. I just wanted to make a quick note to clear up confusion, the above blogger is not me, when I chose this name it did not occur to me that it might be confused with him. That is a blog I read, but, that is not me. Sorry for the confusion.

Well, since you read his blog, perhaps you should got tell him his pictures are defrauding and not modest. It looks like he is pulling a Miss Raquel and trying to snag a spouse by posting eleventy million pictures of himself.

By the way, can you use the space key between questions/answers. It just makes it easier on my old eyes.

Depends on the area, really. In my area, we have bears, moose, wolves, and scary drunk rapists, and serial killers. Black bears aren't too scary, really, they are mostly curious or habituated to humans. They pretty much keep to themselves and make huge trash messes. Once they become a problem (killing chickens, displaying predator behavior, attacking dogs, etc.) Fish and Game comes out and shoots them. Unless a civilian does it first. I hope I never have to shoot a nuisance bear "in defense of life or property" as I don't really think I'm a good shot, and I hear the paperwork is kind of a pain. Brown bears scare me a lot more and I hope to never see one. Moose are scary too, but more of a pain in the ass. I just give them a wide berth. Some are used to humans and don't care, some are scared of humans and run away. The ones that are used to humans are scary because humans will harass them and eventually they snap. Wolves are more dangerous to pets than humans, although there was a recent attack where a woman was killed. But the really scary part of my community is the statistics on rape and the fact that we are a place where people go to escape/hide/start over. It's weird, I can be hiking with my SO and we can see moose (kind of scary) and maybe a porcupine or something, but when I see a man alone in the woods with a hunting rifle with scope and full equipment and it's not hunting season, I get really uncomfortable. I know that he is probably just training his body, and looking at sheep with the scope, but still. He's alone. It's creepy.

Well, since you read his blog, perhaps you should got tell him his pictures are defrauding and not modest. It looks like he is pulling a Miss Raquel and trying to snag a spouse by posting eleventy million pictures of himself.

By the way, can you use the space key between questions/answers. It just makes it easier on my old eyes.

I've talked to him, and he doesn't mind one bit if y'all hop on over to his blog and talk to him directly about the problems you have with his pictures and writings.

I don't comment on people's blogs. I find it difficult to follow conversations when they are in blog comments. He is the one bragging about how manly he is, we have a whole thread talking about his blog, he can feel free to read what sort of light on the hill for Christ he is being to us ungodly heathens and if we are wrong about him, correct us here. Though, honestly, I find him so scary I really wouldn't want him to come. No one will ban him from coming, but his blog makes him look like a serial killer who would murder me and my whole family with glee.

Your opinion, a man posing that way, modest or not? Can women pose in jeans like that, the things that draw the eyes being the rear and the friends that are posed between the legs, and still be modest?

Countryboys blog does sem like one drawn out self absorbed personal. ( The artwork part is sad- he would probably do OK with some education, but he has an untrained eye and is at the level of maybe a talented high school student)

He has so much experience thinking about how godly he is, and how.godly 'his' woman should be. But no experience actually interacting.

Countryboy (the dude here) what do you have that makes you stick out from the other fundies? From what I am reading so far you are pretty cookie cutter.

Depends on the area, really. In my area, we have bears, moose, wolves, and scary drunk rapists, and serial killers. But the really scary part of my community is the statistics on rape and the fact that we are a place where people go to escape/hide/start over. It's weird, I can be hiking with my SO and we can see moose (kind of scary) and maybe a porcupine or something, but when I see a man alone in the woods with a hunting rifle with scope and full equipment and it's not hunting season, I get really uncomfortable. I know that he is probably just training his body, and looking at sheep with the scope, but still. He's alone. It's creepy.

I

HOLY on the bold. There is a show on ID (which I pretty much have on 24/7 lately) called Ice Cold Killers. It makes Alaska sound like the scariest place to live EVAH in terms of psycho killers. Every single episode is terrifying. This is coming from someone that watches ID 24/7 so I see a lot of pretty scary serial killer shows and what not.

I'm waiting for the episode with some kind of vampire or zombie or something to come out of the tundra and start eating people :shock:

I <3 moose. Don't tell me they are scary :( I love all the pictures from Alaska of Moose. I follow several AK blogs just for moose pictures :shifty:

Moose will seriously stomp the shit out of you. I like them too, though. When I went to Colorado for a vacation, I went to an area that supposedly has the largest moose population in the US (or maybe North America) and got to see and photograph some wild moose up close. It was pretty awesome, but they're ENORMOUS and stompy and pretty terrifying.

Guest Anonymous

I have moose photos somewhere! They were taken at Skansen Park in Stockholm though and I was behind the safety fence, so that may not count... :P

Country Boy, is God's Country Boy a friend of yours then? How close are you? Was he startled to hear that you inadvertently turned him in to Free Jinger?

I have moose photos somewhere! They were taken at Skansen Park in Stockholm though and I was behind the safety fence, so that may not count... :P

Moose are moose. I'm not fussy ;) I also like otters and flamingos.

The chihuahuas even love moose toys for some reason. Their favorite bed is one of those pillow pals (I think they are called). We have the ads here for them ALL the time. I bought one for my BFF's granddaughter last Christmas (a butterfly..not a moose), but they were having a buy 1 get one 1/2 price sale, and they had a "christmas moose" one, so we got that for my Chihuahua because it was a nice size for her and really soft. The baby loves it, too, so we picked up a second one when we were at the mall again recently. So when they are both full grown there won't be moose bed fights ;) Right now, they both fit on one bed, but I'm not sure they will when the baby is full grown.

Moose are moose. I'm not fussy ;) I also like otters and flamingos.

The chihuahuas even love moose toys for some reason. Their favorite bed is one of those pillow pals (I think they are called). We have the ads here for them ALL the time. I bought one for my BFF's granddaughter last Christmas (a butterfly..not a moose), but they were having a buy 1 get one 1/2 price sale, and they had a "christmas moose" one, so we got that for my Chihuahua because it was a nice size for her and really soft. The baby loves it, too, so we picked up a second one when we were at the mall again recently. So when they are both full grown there won't be moose bed fights ;) Right now, they both fit on one bed, but I'm not sure they will when the baby is full grown.

Does your ad go "it's a pillow, it's a pet. It's a pillow pet!" in a singsong voice? Cause ours does, and then the kids sing it and it stays in one's head forever.

Archived