IGNORED

SQUEE! God's Daughter reviews Jane Austen

merrily

'Northanger Abbey' is by far my favorite novel by Jane Austen. Not only because I love the storyline and the romance in it, but because Catherine Moreland and I are so similar in characteristics and personalities (slightly-creepy-alike...). I've seen two movie versions of this novel, but my definite favorite was the one with Felicity Jones and JJ Feild. Amazing chemistry between the two and they're both fabulous actors.

Running a close second would be 'Emma'. I've been told I am very much like her. And Mr. Knightley comes second best to Mr. Tilney. Although I liked Romola Garai as Emma more than Gwyneth Paltrow, Jeremy Northam was born to be Mr. Knightley. The 2010 Mr. Knightley (Jonny Lee Miller) has nothing on him...

Lastly, but of course not least is 'Pride and Prejudice'. And I don't care what anyone says, the BBC 1995 version is THE best.

Lately, I've been in that Regency Era mood and I feel like I need to dive into my Austen and Gaskell books again...what say you, dears?

How very deep and eloquent. :roll:

Well, I do agree with her about Pride and Prejudice. No one will ever come close to Colin Firth's version of Mr Darcy for me. And while I'm at it, Northam was a pretty damn fine Mr Knightley. :lol:

But if she wants to really get into Austen, she needs to study the history of the Regency period. As well, a little background into Gaskell's North and South would open her eyes to what life was really like in that era. :?

I doubt she wants to do more than skim the pretty surface, though. :roll:

I love how she starts out by saying that Northanger Abbey is her favorite novel, then the rest of her review is entirely about the movies based on the novels and the actors in them.

And, as always, she tells us absolutely nothing about the plot or even why she likes it :roll:

Catherine Moreland and I are so similar in characteristics and personalities (slightly-creepy-alike...)....Emma...I've been told I'm very much like her...

Of course you are, dear *pats her hand and moves cautiously away*

By coincidence, I am halfway through North and South. Miss Raquel should read it. Her head would 'splode.

I'm not sure how she can be like both Catherine Morland and Emma Woodhouse. Catherine was naive, gullible, and very inexperienced. Emma was smart, the center of her social circle (although she was a tad clueless when it came to properly reading intentions), and decidedly independent in thought and action. Emma's goal for most of the novel is to remain unmarried. That's not very typical either for the Regency period or among fundies today!

Of course you are, dear *pats her hand and moves cautiously away*

By coincidence, I am halfway through North and South. Miss Raquel should read it. Her head would 'splode.

She is also exactly like Katniss from the Hunger Games. :lol:

This child would not make it one week in my English Lit courses. Do you think she has any clue that Northanger Abbey is meant as Gothic satire? Or knows anything at all about the Gothic literary tradition? I do find it quite interesting that she identifies with Catherine and Emma most, as those characters are some of Austen's most flawed, self-centered heroines. As for my part, I definitely see shades of Lydia Bennett in dear Miss Raquel. :lol:

I'm not sure how she can be like both Catherine Morland and Emma Woodhouse. Catherine was naive, gullible, and very inexperienced. Emma was smart, the center of her social circle (although she was a tad clueless when it came to properly reading intentions), and decidedly independent in thought and action. Emma's goal for most of the novel is to remain unmarried. That's not very typical either for the Regency period or among fundies today!

Because Catherine is a know-it-all, Emma a busybody, and Miss Raquel both?

This child would not make it one week in my English Lit courses. Do you think she has any clue that Northanger Abbey is meant as Gothic satire? Or knows anything at all about the Gothic literary tradition? I do find it quite interesting that she identifies with Catherine and Emma most, as those characters are some of Austen's most flawed, self-centered heroines. As for my part, I definitely see shades of Lydia Bennett in dear Miss Raquel. :lol:

Nah--Kitty. Lydia was a self-centered idiot, but she still had the gumption to go out and do something spectacularly stupid.

I would be surprised if she has actually read any of these books. Most of her past discussions on them have all revolved around the movies.

By the way, Matthew Macfadyen is hot on Ripper Street, he was considerably less so as Mr. Darcy. He didn't stand a chance against Colin Firth.

Nah--Kitty. Lydia was a self-centered idiot, but she still had the gumption to go out and do something spectacularly stupid.

A fair point about the gumption. I was thinking about her fixation with idealized, unreachable boys as analogous to Lydia's soldier worship, though.

A fair point about the gumption. I was thinking about her fixation with idealized, unreachable boys as analogous to Lydia's soldier worship, though.

Quite true. Unfortunately, Miss Raquel's version of the red-coated officer is the smug, misogynistic fundie MRA fanboy.

Perhaps she might like to dwell on the fact that Jane Austen wrote and published her novels during a time aristocratic women were to be decorative and little else. Then again, asking her to think on the fact Austen didn't ask her father for permission might create some type of head explosion.

'

Lastly, but of course not least is 'Pride and Prejudice'. And I don't care what anyone says, the BBC 1995 version is THE best.

I don't anyone in the history of ever has tried to claim otherwise...ever.

Slightly off topic, has anyone else plowed through the novel that the characters obsess about in Northanger Abbey-- Ann Radcliffe's The Mysteries of Udolpho? I listened to it last year, and wooof! is it bad! At one point in the plot I think there are ghost pirates--ghost pirates! Like in a Scooby Doo episode.

I bow to Ms. Austen for appreciating its snarkworthy qualities.

6a00e554e8195d8833017744cb5577970d-320wi My Mr. Darcy now and forever is David Rintoul. Because I am old, and he introduced me to Jane Austen. And he had lovely narrow hip.s

I am right there with you on the David Rintoul train! :clap:

I am also perplexed by the obviously liberal interpretation of "Regency" novels. Mrs Gaskell? Really? Hmm... I would love to see her review of Mary Barton.

I think it is awesome how Miss Raquel has figured out the first law of literary criticism, which is to compare every protagonist to oneself.

By the way, Matthew Macfadyen is hot on Ripper Street, he was considerably less so as Mr. Darcy.

Oh, but at the end of the movie when he's walking across the field with the sun rising behind him and the camera holds that loooooong shot...sigh.

I read North and South when I was about 14, it was my introduction to that period of American history. Since then I've read a lot about the civil war, both fiction and non, as well as earlier history too and it's become something of a passion of mine. Maybe it will kick start something in her too.

Why do fundies with an Austen obsession never realise that she intended her novels to be a critique or criticism of contemporary society? Particularly Pride And Prejudice.

Slightly off topic, has anyone else plowed through the novel that the characters obsess about in Northanger Abbey-- Ann Radcliffe's The Mysteries of Udolpho? I listened to it last year, and wooof! is it bad! At one point in the plot I think there are ghost pirates--ghost pirates! Like in a Scooby Doo episode.

I bow to Ms. Austen for appreciating its snarkworthy qualities.

I was assigned it in graduate school. We all got drunk and read it together, complete with flipping lights on and off and sound effects created by household objects. It was a great time.

Archived