IGNORED

SQUEE! God's Daughter reviews Jane Austen

merrily

Why do fundies with an Austen obsession never realise that she intended her novels to be a critique or criticism of contemporary society? Particularly Pride And Prejudice.

Probably because most of them read it and only see what they want to see, a perfect society.

Probably because most of them read it and only see what they want to see, a perfect society.

I think it's largely cause they don't even read them but just watch the screen adaptations, full of beautiful people in beautiful clothes.

If they had read any real history and then read the novels they would realise that it was a dirty, harsh world where most people, including women and children, worked from dawn to dusk just to survive, and even the landed gentry like the characters Austen portrays wouldn't have had a freshly laundered new gown every day.

I read North and South when I was about 14, it was my introduction to that period of American history. Since then I've read a lot about the civil war, both fiction and non, as well as earlier history too and it's become something of a passion of mine. Maybe it will kick start something in her too.

I think that you are thinking of a different book Terranova. Gaskell's novel was set in England.

I think that you are thinking of a different book Terranova. Gaskell's novel was set in England.

Oops, didn't see that. :lol:

Someone should point out the movie "Clueless" is a modern day Emma and have her review that movie too lol. Or even Bridget Jones' diary, a kind of "Pride and Prejudice" storyline. She can see how society has evolved lol. :lol:

Um, Gaskell is Victorian, not regency era.

I wonder if she's seen the BBC production of North and South, with Richard Armitage as Thornton. Except for the fact that Armitage is gorgeous, most of the costumes and settings are decidedly grim, almost Dickensian in their depiction of the poor of the industrial north. Surely she'd notice the difference between that and Austen.

Okay, probably not. :lol:

Speaking of eras, as a huge Downton Abbey fan, I've been quite peeved at the constant references by the media to it being an 'Edwardian' drama. King Edward VII died in 1910; DA begins in 1912, during the reign of King George V.

So she's not reviewing Jane Austen at all.

Raquel doesn't review things as much as she just talks about what happens. Often while abusing exclamation marks.

^^yes Mr Firth does have a pretty surface doesn't he.

Has anyone seen the LIzzie Bennt Diaries? (updated version of Pride and Prejudice on youtube) Daniel Vincent Gordh plays Darcy and he's very easy on the eyes. I'd put him as second to Firth because he's yet to randomly jump in a lake and walk around in a wet shirt.

The most recent movie version of P&P was bad. They lost me with the pigs in the house.

I generally prefer Colin Firth but Davin Rintoul wasn't bad either...

Archived