IGNORED

School District Bans Books "Contrary to the Bible"

Alecto

clibbyjo, sounds like a field trip to the Newseum is in order! Granted, I haven't been to DC since I was 17 myself, but I distinctly remember all the awesome banned-book merchandise.

EDIT This isn't a complete list, but a list of frequently challenged classics, which is a great place to start. http://www.ala.org/ala/issuesadvocacy/b ... dclassics/

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
clibbyjo, sounds like a field trip to the Newseum is in order! Granted, I haven't been to DC since I was 17 myself, but I distinctly remember all the awesome banned-book merchandise.

EDIT This isn't a complete list, but a list of frequently challenged classics, which is a great place to start. http://www.ala.org/ala/issuesadvocacy/b ... dclassics/

I have seen that list several times. I agree it is a great place to start when reading challenged or banned books.

They know it's not the 50s right?

They know there's a Constitution with a First Amendment in it, right? Oh wait, they like to ignore that one, while simultaneously screaming "Persecution!!!!!1111"

This thread is making me appreciate my high school a lot more. I went to a Christian school, but a laid-back one. Our librarian had an entire "Celebration of Banned Books" month, where she encouraged students to check out books that have been banned for various reasons throughout history, and discussed the various reasons and political situations behind their banning.

One of only two good things I can say about my high school is that it didn't bother banning books. I can't think of a single book that was challenged anywhere in my school district. A lot of books that seem to be challenged/banned were required reading, particularly for the 11th and 12th grade classes. All of my English teachers would do something for Banned Books Week, as well as the library. And in class sometimes we'd discuss why the book we were reading got banned at another school.

The other only good thing I can say is that my school had wonderful teachers who were not afraid to voice their displeasure when pearl-clutching conservative parents would whine about a movie shown in class. The books were never challenged- it was ALWAYS the movies. Because THAT KID would always get their bloomers in a wad if a character said a naughty word, or if another character's arse was just a little too visible. Otherwise, they'd be fairly tame movies and perfectly relevant to what we were studying. Ugh.

Ok, I really am curious how people see IKDG 'encouraging people to get married without getting to know each other'. I'm not interested in debating the relative merits of the book, but I don't understand how that came across, that idea of not getting to kknow the other people. It seemed to me to encourage the opposite, that spending lots of time with each other in varied settings like in real life, would be a great way to get to know someone, and much better than simply seeing them mostly on orchestrated dates.

This thread is making me appreciate my high school a lot more. I went to a Christian school, but a laid-back one. Our librarian had an entire "Celebration of Banned Books" month, where she encouraged students to check out books that have been banned for various reasons throughout history, and discussed the various reasons and political situations behind their banning.

I love my public library for much the same reason. They get people demanding that assorted books be banned. The protestors all get a standard "Book Withdrawal Request Form." It starts like this:

1. Have you read this book?

Funny thing--not a single completed form has ever been turned in.

Some books get stolen off the shelves in the name of moral purity. So the library just buys more copies . . .

Finally re-registered to the site. (I forgot my username :oops: ) Anyway, first post at the new site. I posted at the old board.

I have read Slaughterhouse-Five and I personally did not like it, but at least I was able to read it and make that decision on my own in high school.

Personal story (sort of) coming: Right after I graduated high school, two mothers decided a couple of the required readings were inappropriate and they wanted it banned. I knew one of the mothers because she went to my old church (I never liked her much). I can't recall the name of one of the books, but the other was Pat Conroy's The Prince of Tides I have not read it, but I did have to read Beach Music, which was also one they wanted removed. The reason was that it talked about sexual encounters, had a lot violence and were contradictory to the Bible. As a Protestant Christian myself (sort of, it depends on who you ask, ;) ) who has read her Holy Bible cover to cover, I could only laugh at this. I don't think people who say these things have read the controversial parts of the Bible or they are just flat ignoring them. Just my two cents.

BTW, the school decided to allow alternate readings if a parent or child does not want to read what is assigned. The funny thing is that the teacher involved DID offer that option when I had him. He used to work at Bob Jones University before and understood that some people might have issues.

In other words, all they had to do was ask for a different book and it would have been provided, but no, they had to go on silly tirade that no one should read the books. I am glad that for all the issues the school board of my hometown had, they would not bow down to banning books.

My library got rid of the Pearl books. I'm not sure why, but I saw them a few times and then, after I discovered FJ and wanted to read CTBHH, it was gone. I wonder why? :twisted:

I've seen displays of banned books there. We have a very liberal lesbian as a head librarian.

Archived