IGNORED

Mormon Athlete's Fake Girlfriend

Kira

Why would one lie and say their fake girlfriend died when he could have just as easily said they broke up? Her "death" was an end to the hoax which brought a ton of attention and ended blowing the whole thing open. A break up would have not put it the spotlight much. I guess he wanted to the sympathy and attention. If it were me, I would be scared to death of being exposed. His ego got in his way making him feel invincible.

I suspect he is gay and the other guy in cahoots with him is his boyfriend. :whistle:

Once she "had cancer" it would probably be hard to be "the guy who broke up with the sick girl".

He lost control of it early on and it just spiraled. Once you're making fake Twitters, it's over.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Once she "had cancer" it would probably be hard to be "the guy who broke up with the sick girl".

He lost control of it early on and it just spiraled. Once you're making fake Twitters, it's over.

I see. Thanks. Didn't know about that part. He screwed himself either way.

love (hate) that ND hires a private investigator to look into this (which i don't think is even that big a deal if he was lying, just proves that he is a jerk), but sweeps lizzy seeberg's 2010 suicide under the rug because god forbid an alleged sexual assault by a student athlete (who played for the BCS title this year) be properly investigated. and don't even get me started on brian kelly.

this is why i hate notre dame: you are not *different* just because your student athletes are also students. at the core, you are the same football program that places athletes and athletic success at its core and, by virtue of doing so, place actual concepts like honor and integrity a distant second.

mr. chance went to notre dame for an advanced degree and has been a fan all of his life. i want to like the school, i really do. but this shit keeps coming up.

wow- things i have found out this week- People lie a lot more than i realised

(and the internet usually finds out!)

I have also learned again how stupid people can be when it comes to these hoaxes. Te'o or his friend made a fake twitter using a woman's picture. I guess they never worried about someone recognizing her picture under another name. Also they were dumb by not realizing that no obit for "dead girlfriend" would raise suspicion.

I hope that the South Bend Tribune and other media outlets that wrote stories about the "girlfriend" have their credentials questioned. This hoax could have been over in 5 seconds if any one of them had fact-checked information like they were supposed to. How did they all miss that there was no obituary for the girlfriend?

Why would he kill the gf off? Simple: it gave him more publicity & was one more thing that separated him from the pack of student athletes. He was in the running for the Heisman not to mention eventual draft status...this just got his name out more.

I have no ties to ND, but I have sincere doubts about any PI on their payroll..

Maybe there IS a gf and she faked her own death rather than have Brent Musbarger point her out on national teevee some time in the future.

Kidding!!!

Maybe there IS a gf and she faked her own death rather than have Brent Musbarger point her out on national teevee some time in the future.

Kidding!!!

Haha. I think Katherine Webb is probably pretty happy now that she will make bank from SI.

At first I thought that perhaps he got duped by an internet faker. The fact that she had cancer and then died in a car accident seemed very Munchhausen by Internet to me. But then I read that he claimed to have actually met her...so I'm not sure what to think now.

What I don't understand is why didn't he find a real girl to pretend to be his girlfriend. He is good looking and some girls might like the attention that being a football player's girlfriend would bring them.

That is a weird story and it reminded me a bit of Catfish and how a woman's image was used for a hoax.

I loved catfish!

What I don't understand is why didn't he find a real girl to pretend to be his girlfriend. He is good looking and some girls might like the attention that being a football player's girlfriend would bring them.

Exactly!

It's been the plot of movies/tv shows for. Reason after all.

I'm wondering if this is an attempt to be the next tebow. In his interview he spoke about then saying evening prayers and morning prayers... that she was "god fearing" and all that... Faith in the face of adversity + football = NY jets need a new QB

Fake twitter gf is much less demanding than an irl fake gf. She never has to be seen, hell when she dies you can just say her dying wish was for you to go play football instead of attending her funeral. It's as low-maintenance as you can get.

I'm wondering if this is an attempt to be the next tebow. In his interview he spoke about then saying evening prayers and morning prayers... that she was "god fearing" and all that... Faith in the face of adversity + football = NY jets need a new QB

I wouldn't doubt it! These college American-football players seem to do a lot shit to get as much attention as they can so they can get a chance to be NFL supah-stahs! I'm sure if Te'o noticed how well Tebow did with all his "God loves me, and I love him", he probably wants to follow suit.

So, apparently #teoing is now a thing.

teoing.tumblr.com/

I read the deadspin article today and read a lot of other things. Notre Dame have been blaming this on his friend Rihaino (spelled somehow?). Anyway, I think the FRIEND has been scamming him; my husband thinks the friend is in love or jealous of Teo. I believe Teo could have been ashamed to admit he had a girlfriend that he'd never met. He could just be that innocent, believing what was going on.

The only question I have is if Rihaino was putting him on, was he also pretending to be the girl on the phone when they talked? I heard about a story like that, where a woman pretending to be a man online/on the phone so she could be close to her *actual* female friend. A lot doesn't add up, and maybe I'm missing something. But I think he was scammed by his friend and wasn't part of it.

The only logical reason I can come up with is maybe he would've been afraid that a real girlfriend would eventually speak out and prove that their relationship was fake.

I can't figure out why this is worthy of front page headlines on the major news sites. Athletes behaving badly have committed some pretty hideous acts over the years...a fake girl friend is not in the same league...at. all.

The local gourmet cupcake place I drool over on FB just posted their specials for today. A new one on the menu is the Manti Te'o's girlfriend....they showed a pic of an empty box! lol

I can't figure out why this is worthy of front page headlines on the major news sites. Athletes behaving badly have committed some pretty hideous acts over the years...a fake girl friend is not in the same league...at. all.

I think it's just because it's so weird and involves a fake death.

I think it's just because it's so weird and involves a fake death.

Plus I think it capitalizes on many people's gut instinct about the internet and internet dating.

Archived