IGNORED

Wwhhhhooo... check out this comment on the Muncks blog.....

Justme

Jinger, perhaps??? It's refreshing they are not afraid of contrasting opinions.....

Anonymous said...

Even though you had a lucky escape from the Maxwells you should stop making your children dress like them in those horrid long skirts. These is nothing in the bible that says woman should not wear pants etc

December 30, 2012 4:09 AM

The Munck Family said...

Anonymous,

Horrid skirts...your opinion. Isn't a blessing we can each have our own opinion. As far as the way we dress, well, that didn't come from the Maxwells. Since you don't know my family I'll give you a bit of history, my 2 great grandmothers neither one ever owned a pair of pants, my grandmother and mother have mainly worn skirts....My mother is a nurse and even wore skirts to work. This is where our skirt wearing came from. Now as far as the Bible saying anything about skirts...I don't believe "I nor my husband" have EVER verbally or written that the Bible says women are only to wear skirts. The Bible does speak of men and womens attire that neither are to wear that of the opposite sex. And if you go back in history you will find that women were the first to wear pants, not men. Now if we are to wear just skirts that would fall into the thing of making our own laws, as the bible doesn't speak of just wearing skirts...then that falls into legalism. Further more not that it is really any ones business we all, yes, all 6 Munck females "Do" own and wear pants just not often.

Thank you for your concern and stopping by our family blog. Have a blessed weekend.

Laura

They didn't quibble over the lucky escape part. Heh-heh!

Yes, I noticed that.

Good for them for answering, and even allowing, different opinions.

Guest Anonymous
They didn't quibble over the lucky escape part. Heh-heh!

That is the part I liked!

TBH, I think whoever left the comment is a bit of a shallow tosser and deserved the pushback. :lol:

I like it, especially the part where she makes clear that the Maxwells aren't influencing them.

But, do you think they really wear pants?

Guest Anonymous
I like it, especially the part where she makes clear that the Maxwells aren't influencing them.

They have a dog grooming business, so it might be practical there?

Maybe, they usually seem to show only photos of their parties etc... They could wear pants to work out or do things like garden and wear skirts other times.

I have known women who I only seemed to see on Shabbos for years and assumed that they wore skirts all the time, then when I see them around town in pants or a low cut top or something I almost don't recognize them!

I remember skimming through their blog when the whole engagement think happened. I would say that the response was slighlty untrue as their clothing has altered in the last few years. Before they wore jeans, shorts and normal swim wear etc. This then changed to swimming frumpers, long skirts etc. So they do dress in 'what some would call' modest atire

I love that she didn't argue about Elizabeth's lucky escape. If there were no hard feelings and it was truly an amicable separation, Laura would have defended the Maxwells. I'm guessing they all know she was very, very lucky to escape Maxhell.

Niether of my grandmothers - much less great-grandmas - wore pants, probably ever in their lives. One was born in 1880, one in ... I dunno, 1890. My mom had to be cajoled by my dad to wear slacks to work. When I went to work in 1976 it was a big hairy deal for a woman to wear a pantsuit to work.

My point?

I really, really, really dislike the dominionists for making skirts an idol of theirs. Why? Because it's yet another way to divide women from each other. Yes! I see a lady with a tunic top over an ankle-length skirt, her hair in a bun, I'm SURE she must be a dreaded dom or a foul fundie. But wait - she's eating out at a tourist trap run by Roman Catholic monks! Surely no self-respecting Presbyterian extremist (those words look funny together, but then again, they make me feel icky in the tummy) would dine at a Papist cafe.

The powers that be have pitted women against women from time immemorial. Working moms vs. stay-home moms. *scoff* I remember when Dear Abby or Ann Landers hopped on a silly idea to ask the elderly and stay-home moms to stop grocery-shopping between 5-8 pm so working women could get through the stores quicker.

Srsly, one of those paragons of commonsense fell for that suggestion! Whichever one it was, she got criticized for it roundly. Yet another way to try to set women with different life circumstances against each other ... for what reason?

To keep us disunified, distracted with internecine warfare, while anti-feminists run all over everybody's rights. I'm still glad the poster was .... whatever s/he was, to criticize the Muncks, and that they showed real class in responding. Very juicy information in re: Maxwells. However! The whole skirts/non-skirts thing continues to irritate the bejabers out of me.

Guest Anonymous
The whole skirts/non-skirts thing continues to irritate the bejabers out of me.

The skirts/pants thing is nowhere near such an issue in the UK, where religion is not a big part of our landscape.

I had no idea that frumpers/jean skirts were a fundie 'thing' until I started reading freejinger. I used to read Anna T's blog and wonder why she was making such a thing out of feeling persekuted for attire that seemed perfectly normal (as one option out of many). :)

The skirts/pants thing is nowhere near such an issue in the UK, where religion is not a big part of our landscape.

I had no idea that frumpers/jean skirts were a fundie 'thing' until I started reading freejinger. I used to read Anna T's blog and wonder why she was making such a thing out of feeling persekuted for attire that seemed perfectly normal (as one option out of many). :)

Me too. I always associated jeans skirts with the more cat lady old school type of teacher (my favourite :D)

Fundies wouldn't know what to make of me.I hate trousers. I have always hated my legs feeling all stiff and encased in tight, hard material. I hate waists as well, because of my c-section scar still feeling weirdly sensitive. I own one pair of (stretch denim) jeans and one pair of tweed winter shorts, everything else is dresses and skirts, usually floor length

This goes back right to me being a kid.I used to tuck my skirts into my knickers when I wanted to run about/ride my horse/climb trees/lampposts or whatever

I don't remember anyone ever really commenting on it

Jinger, perhaps??? It's refreshing they are not afraid of contrasting opinions.....

Anonymous said...

Even though you had a lucky escape from the Maxwells you should stop making your children dress like them in those horrid long skirts. These is nothing in the bible that says woman should not wear pants etc

December 30, 2012 4:09 AM

The Munck Family said...

Anonymous,

Horrid skirts...your opinion. Isn't a blessing we can each have our own opinion. As far as the way we dress, well, that didn't come from the Maxwells. Since you don't know my family I'll give you a bit of history, my 2 great grandmothers neither one ever owned a pair of pants, my grandmother and mother have mainly worn skirts....My mother is a nurse and even wore skirts to work. This is where our skirt wearing came from. Now as far as the Bible saying anything about skirts...I don't believe "I nor my husband" have EVER verbally or written that the Bible says women are only to wear skirts. The Bible does speak of men and womens attire that neither are to wear that of the opposite sex. And if you go back in history you will find that women were the first to wear pants, not men. Now if we are to wear just skirts that would fall into the thing of making our own laws, as the bible doesn't speak of just wearing skirts...then that falls into legalism. Further more not that it is really any ones business we all, yes, all 6 Munck females "Do" own and wear pants just not often.

Thank you for your concern and stopping by our family blog. Have a blessed weekend.

Laura

Wow, this is like one big FUCK YOU to the Anonymous poster.

Exactly. And I don't really think the skirts they wear are horrid. Frumpers are horrid. But skirts that are stylish seem okay to me.

Guest Anonymous

And well-deserved too. :D

I don't agree with all sorts of things about the Munck lifestyle, but their clothing choices should be entirely their own and if people go on their turf telling them their clothes are ugly, they have a right to reply. And since they run a business and have a professional image to maintain, what else can they do but give out a great big "Well bless your heart" middle finger substitute? :mrgreen:

I remember skimming through their blog when the whole engagement think happened. I would say that the response was slighlty untrue as their clothing has altered in the last few years. Before they wore jeans, shorts and normal swim wear etc. This then changed to swimming frumpers, long skirts etc. So they do dress in 'what some would call' modest atire

I also remember seeing a pic of one of the girls wearing pants.

Well, I'm glad they're open-minded enough to wear pants, sometimes. I wonder if they wear skirts so much from fear of other fundy families judging them. I can't see wearing skirts all the time to be even remotely convenient. And of course they didn't object to the lucky escape comment! There's no way they don't feel the same way.

I do think Laura is being a bit dishonest. I think the Muncks are social climbers. They seem to like to impress the more hardcore skirt wearing/very modest fundies. I don't think they would care to hang out with fundie lite types like Daniel/Lyndside, Pleasant Boundaries family, Lori's family etc.

It is easy to think as the 'escape' poster. I don't follow these people, but her response seemed as if they were cornered and needed to justify their position. It is much like when the Duggars get backed into a corner and say the Duggar kids have a choice on what to wear. I could care less about a person's clothing choices. However, whether your whole family dresses in 1800's clothing, Goth, etc, you stand out among the crowd and you will get noticed. If you don't want attention, blend with the crowd.

I also remember seeing a pic of one of the girls wearing pants.

Elizabeth at age sixteen stands in front of her own car wearing jeans and a hoodie, looking every bit the part of a normal American teenager.

The Muncks only met the Maxwells going to their conferences in 2008. Elizabeth was already 16 years old. That says pretty much everything.

Yeah. What roddma said basically.

It's daft to dress one specific way and if it's unusual for the area expect NOT to be challenged. Two choices - dress to blend in, dress to stand out.

I am probably slightly unusual looking, it's the style I feel comfortable in. I get a wide range of reactions, most people don't care but some people like to tell me stuff like "You would be soooo pretty if you let your hair grow out" (No I wouldn't, but this is beside the point) or assume various things about me that I'm a skinhead, etc etc. Well, fair enough. I got a shaved head, a leather jacket, an army style cap and DMs, I'm not looking like Kim Kardashian. :lol:

You've honestly got to accept if you dress unconventionally people are going to judge you. If fundies want to stroll around in frumpers with a battalion of identically dressed kids that might look strange and people might have views on it. They might express their views to you. Deal with it or blend in.

I was walking my brother's dog in the (very wet and muddy) park a couple of days ago. (He's a spoilt Jack Russel :( but quite sweet when he shuts up.)

A couple of county type women with headscarves and labradors (do you know the type I mean, JFC?) came by, and Monty decided to play with their dogs, which was fine by all of us. So we stood around a bit in the wet, watching the dogs chasing each other, with me thanking my stars the little sod was getting thoroughly tired out since the other dogs were bigger and faster, when one of them looked at me and said:

'We were just commenting when we saw you on how brave you were to wear a long skirt in this weather.'

(I was wearing my lovely deep red cord skirt that comes down to my ankles, my leggings under it, and my wellies, and I was as warm as warm. Yes, the skirt was getting muddy: skirts do)

I explained politely that I always wore long skirts as I didn't feel comfortable in trousers, and that I wore them for doing my horses too. They were politely non-committal in a sort of 'ok, that's really strange: why would anyone dress like that, is that the real story?' way.

Weird comment though. I felt like a fundie, which made me laugh all the way home.

Guest Anonymous
one of them looked at me and said:

'We were just commenting when we saw you on how brave you were to wear a long skirt in this weather.'

:lol: That sounds like someone with no filter between what they think and what they say.

Archived