IGNORED

Iowa: Don't be Too Attractive If You want to Keep Your Job

NurseNell

Or, you know, if her clothing was inappropriate for work, he could have simply created a dress code for everyone.

This!

You know, I work with a lot of attractive women who by some people's antiquated standards, probably dress too provocatively. Yet, somehow the men I work with manage to keep themselves together.

If I was tempted by an employee, even if those feelings were not reciprocated, I would like to be able to do something about it. HOWEVER, this doesn't mean I fire the person. Step 1 Keep my feelings to myself. Crushes pass. Step 2 If the feeling continue talk to the person about my problem. Maybe we can work out a compromise that helps me without making the other person uncomfortable. Step 3 I ask the person to leave BUT I help them to find a new job and do not make them leave until they have a new position.

Surely if this man was "very religious and moral" he could have found a better way to do this. It has a very sleazy feel to it.

If he really felt that he couldn't control himself in the situation, he could have removed himself instead of her. Otherwise, he should have worked on the self control.

Four years ago, I interviewed for a sales position. The person interviewing me was a woman, and she would have been my direct boss had I been successful. The interview seemed to go well, and she said she'd call me within 24 hours to tell me if I'd got a second interview or not. When she contacted me again, she said she'd been impressed with me in the interview and that "felt really bad about this" but she'd decided not to take my application further because it was a predominantly male office and she didn't want me "exposed to the offensive jokes and banter of male staff". I wrote a letter of complaint to HR, explaining that I had grown up with three brothers and had mainly male friends both as a child and an adult, that if anything I had quite a masculine sense of humour, and that the only thing I found remotely offensive was this woman's assumption that I couldn't take a joke. They wrote back but explained that she could only be taken to task for sexism if I could prove that she had specifically said "because you're a woman". Sooo...according to them, she's being sexist towards me herself in order to protect me from sexism? Bullshit. And this happened in the UK, in 2008, under New "PC" Labour! You couldn't make it up.

Has Iowa been taken over by the Christian Taliban? Will they soon require women to go to work in a burka?

Of course, the attractive woman had to be fired because she defrauded him.

I hope she can turn around and file a sexual discrimination case against him.

My Mom got fired from her job for daring to be diagnosed with leukemia. She filed suit against the company and got 24 months worth of medical insurance coverage.

Or, you know, if her clothing was inappropriate for work, he could have simply created a dress code for everyone.

This. I was called out for wearing something that was considered too low cut at a previous job - and my male boss actually gave me the poor-menz-can't-control-themselves line, including calling me "inconsiderate" of said poor menz - but I didn't get bloody fired for it.

Just saw this: http://www.cnn.com/video/?hpt=hp_t3#/vi ... -fired.cnn

She states she wore scrubs.

I figured she probably did. Which means if he were being "fair" *cough, cough*, he would have fired ALL the dental assistants. But what, exactly, does he expect them to wear in a dental office? Hello! If he's so weak he can't stand the sight of a woman in freaking SCRUBS, why doesn't he consider himself to be the problem?

The "problem", I guess, is that she was too attractive even in scrubs?

I would not go to this man as a dentist because, while not irresistibly attractive, I have a very womanly figure with lots of fat cells in place that men like to see them. I could not trust this guy and I am soooo grossed out by the thought of a dentist having a bulge in his pants while doing my fillings.

A female doctor who posts regularly on FJ has said that she was harassed for being too sexy in some hospital settings. Unfortunately (or fortunately!), some women are pretty damn hawt no matter what they wear. Yet they still have a right to work in their profession. This dentist does have a legal right to fire his dental assistant for being too attractive, which shows that there is a real problem with American employment law.

If he really felt that he couldn't control himself in the situation, he could have removed himself instead of her. Otherwise, he should have worked on the self control.

I was assuming that, as a dentist, it was his business and everyone there was employed by him. That would mean the only way to remove himself from the situation would be to close the business.

I do think that any man that can't control himself around an employee wearing scrubs has major issues that he should be working out with a counsellor.

Yes he's a dick and yes his wife is a doormat for not realizing he's a dick but the plaintiff was an at-will employee and was subject to termination at any time and for no reason. From the article, it sounds like the Court found that she was not fired on the basis of sexual discrimination and for that reason, it was OK. She was fired because he was afraid he would fuck her (OK under the law), not because he asked to fuck her and she said no (harassment not OK under the law ), or because she had a vagina and the other workers didn't (discrimination also not OK under the law).

Now, the article mentioned that, over the years, he had told her about her clothing and his bulges, and they had a conversation about her sex life. So, it sounds like he allowed and encouraged an unprofessional atmosphere and then suddenly changed the rules (probably when the wife complained and mentioned to him that after working at his practice and being married to him for a good number of years, she'd take him for a bundle in divorce court). Ipso facto, he's a dick.

Well, it looks like the Stinking Lousewife approves:

http://www.thinkinghousewife.com/wp/201 ... imination/

Well, according to some of the comments on her blog - it truly is the woman's fault.

This shows that it’s not just the revealingly dressed women themselves who seek to control men in an unnatural way, but liberals as such. As I wrote four years ago: The way many women dress today, with half their breasts exposed, is an expression of total disrespect for men. Men are left with three possible responses. To grab the woman, which is illegal; to ogle the woman, which is socially unacceptable; or to affect not to notice the woman at all, which is emasculating. A culture that normalizes such female behavior—i.e. not only not noticing or objecting to it, but prohibiting any objection to it—is extremely sick.

this of course was written by a man. And, this is the mindset that all these fundies are trying to instill in their boys :angry-banghead: These poor, poor men - living at the mercy of teh penis! :roll:

From this article:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... ctive.html

Knight is a very religious and moral individual, and he sincerely believed that firing Nelson would be best for all parties, he said.

Excuse me, but "very religious and moral" men do NOT treat women this way.

He later told Nelson's husband he worried he was getting too personally attached and feared he would eventually try to start an affair with her.

Right below this is a photo of Mr. Bulgy Pants and his smiling wife who probably threatened to permanently deflate his "bulge" if he didn't fire Nelson. He's lucky Mr. Nelson didn't kick his teeth in.

What gets me about stuff like this - fearing he would try to start an affair with her - is that these types of men seem to forget that it takes two to tango, and they just assume the woman will say yes to him if he asks. Is Mrs Nelson not an independent being with her own will, then? I love the way that just because he fancies the pants off her, he automatically assumes she'll return the lust!

Archived