IGNORED

I guess the Duggars buy name brand food now

homeschoolmomma1

I'm also de-lurking for this topic.

We use a lot of generic items in our house and some of the stuff is preferred over the name brand. DH loves Walmart brand honey mustard salad dressing and I'm a sucker for Giant (our local grocery store) brand cottage cheese. We wont go generic on candy, toilet paper, general hygiene products, spaghettios (we enjoy them :oops: ) and sodas. I'm sure there are other things but I really cant think of them right now.

We definitely use Walmart brand peanut butter and love it! I know its all a matter of personal preference and since both of us were raised on whatever peanut butter was the cheapest, we have no brand loyalty.

I only buy Hannaford cottage cheese, i wonder if it's the same? I recently moved several hours from home and by some stroke of luck happened to be near the only Hannaford for miles. I often buy generic cereal, it's usually not very similar to the original, but that doesn't mean it's bad.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I only buy Hannaford cottage cheese, i wonder if it's the same? I recently moved several hours from home and by some stroke of luck happened to be near the only Hannaford for miles. I often buy generic cereal, it's usually not very similar to the original, but that doesn't mean it's bad.

I dont know if they're the same, but the only other cottage cheese I found that I think tastes any good is made by Archer Farms at Target. I guess its possible they're made by the same company.

The bulk of my shopping happens at the farmer's market, so when I do go to the grocery store for staples, I have no problem whatsoever with generics about 90% of the time. Food is expensive! My grocery finally started carrying store brand organic/cage-free eggs, which weaned me off of the Pete and Gerry's. The places I don't budge are on pasta--I always get Ronzoni Garden Delight--and flour: King Arthur is more expensive, but I find it makes for better bread than does the store brand whole wheat flour.

Learning to make my own pasta is my next cooking challenge, so I may be having my own homemade spinach pasta instead before long. But I'm a long ways off from making my own flour!

The bulk of my shopping happens at the farmer's market, so when I do go to the grocery store for staples, I have no problem whatsoever with generics about 90% of the time. Food is expensive! My grocery finally started carrying store brand organic/cage-free eggs, which weaned me off of the Pete and Gerry's. The places I don't budge are on pasta--I always get Ronzoni Garden Delight--and flour: King Arthur is more expensive, but I find it makes for better bread than does the store brand whole wheat flour.

Learning to make my own pasta is my next cooking challenge, so I may be having my own homemade spinach pasta instead before long. But I'm a long ways off from making my own flour!

Homemade pasta is very easy, its really just flour ,eggs a little milk or water and salt.I just got a pasta attachment for my kitchen aid,but before that I just rolled them out and cut them with a pizza cutter which works the best and fastest. I also make my own flour which is also very easy. I have an electric mill, but I don't use that as its messy and I am not making wheat flour right now. I use my Vitamix blender and make brown rice ,oat and coconut flour in about 30 seconds.

Homemade pasta is very easy, its really just flour ,eggs a little milk or water and salt.I just got a pasta attachment for my kitchen aid,but before that I just rolled them out and cut them with a pizza cutter which works the best and fastest. I also make my own flour which is also very easy. I have an electric mill, but I don't use that as its messy and I am not making wheat flour right now. I use my Vitamix blender and make brown rice ,oat and coconut flour in about 30 seconds.

Thanks, clibbyjo! Flour seems so intimidating; it's nice to hear that you've had success there. I've made my own gnocchi, but in my tiny NYC kitchen I'm hard pressed to find room to roll & cut out other sorts of pastas. I'm sure I will move on to making my own flour when I have a bigger space to work and more importantly, more room to store stuff. Cabinet space is at something of a premium right now!

I really want a vitamix....

The only problem is they don't have really large ones, but I have friends ( a family of 3) who just love theirs - I don't think they cook much without using it.

The only problem is they don't have really large ones, but I have friends ( a family of 3) who just love theirs - I don't think they cook much without using it.

LMAO- I am a single woman. No need for a huge blender. And with blenders, sometimes bigger isn't better because of how they chop/blend.

The Vitamix is awesome and I use it everyday, sometimes a couple times. A full blender will make a smoothie for everyone(5 of us). I make soup(yes it even heats it because the speed is so fast!) or flour in batches if I need a bunch and its so fast it doesn't matter because it still only takes a minute. I made a blender full of oats into flour in 30 seconds, turned that into dough and was eating noodles all within 1/2 an hour.(yes,oat noodles are good and taste like a light whole wheat)

Archived