IGNORED

I guess the Duggars buy name brand food now

homeschoolmomma1

I would have loved to see some products that were not name brand in tonight's episode. What is so bad with 'some' off brand? I know some don't buy off brand but their family is huge. So much for saving money

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Product placement maybe? After all, we know the Duggars won't turn down a chance to pimp themselves -- or their pantry -- out for free stuff and/or money.

Do you have to remind me every episode that JimBob worked at a grocery store?

Product placement maybe? After all, we know the Duggars won't turn down a chance to pimp themselves -- or their pantry -- out for free stuff and/or money.

Could be very possible. A lot of shows do it. Gilmore Girls had a coke sponsorship/tie in for a while. I personally prefer name brands for certain foods. Peanut butter and ketchup are two of my brand must haves. Well scrap that, I do it with most foods. You get accustomed to something and then just don't see a reason to switch I guess.

:clap:

Do you have to remind me every episode that JimBob worked at a grocery store?

Ahhh but he did :) haha :lol: we should be reminded because we might forget :) :whistle:

I can't blame them, really. In many cases, the name brand is better. My kids can taste the difference between Blue Box and food bank mac and cheese.

Could be very possible. A lot of shows do it. Gilmore Girls had a coke sponsorship/tie in for a while. I personally prefer name brands for certain foods. Peanut butter and ketchup are two of my brand must haves. Well scrap that, I do it with most foods. You get accustomed to something and then just don't see a reason to switch I guess.

Totally, OT, but you live in Canada, right? Is the peanut butter there the same as it is in the U.S.? Awhile back I was reading an interview with some British actor and he mentioned how much he loved American peanut butter, because it was nothing like what they have in Britain, so you mentioning peanut butter just made me curious since I never knew peanut butter wasn't universally the same.

OMG I'm sobbing. That 91 year old guy talking about how is he going to start over? I have a really big soft spot for the elderly, probably because my parents were elderly when I was born lol. I can't stand it.

ETA: I calmed down and noticed I was missing words.

Totally, OT, but you live in Canada, right? Is the peanut butter there the same as it is in the U.S.? Awhile back I was reading an interview with some British actor and he mentioned how much he loved American peanut butter, because it was nothing like what they have in Britain, so you mentioning peanut butter just made me curious since I never knew peanut butter wasn't universally the same.

I sure am! Haha. It's funny that you ask because this is like a weird fascination for me. I can't speak for all American peanut butter, just the stuff in Michigan because we sometimes cross border shop there (OMG it's sooo cheap compared to our prices!). I found it to be weirdly oily and kind of gritty? The same thing with Oreos. They were crap compared to the ones here. The cookies were not as strongly flavoured and the icing was gritty and weird. I also hate Kroger chocolate milk it has a weird after taste and isn't as sweet as ours. Random, but I had to tell someone. Brit peanut butter is even worse though. It's...grittier and just nasty. I couldn't understand why my English friends hated it, until I tried it.

OMG I'm sobbing. That 91 year old guy talking about how is he going to start over? I have a really big soft spot for the elderly, probably because my parents were elderly when I was born lol. I can't stand it.

ETA: I calmed down and noticed I was missing words.

I was crying too during that. I'm very glad the Duggars were able to help out even though I think Josh could have kept his smug ass at home.

I think that most generic versions are as good as the name brand. In some cases the name brand is better and in some cases the generic is better, but mostly they're equal. When I was in 8th grade we learned about blind taste tests in home ec. We were comparing chocolate chip cookies and the whole class got to participate, but you would get extra credit if you brought in some cookies to be part of the test. I lived in a rich snooty neighborhood and I picked the generic kind because I knew that nobody else would bring them. And everyone was quite surprised when the winner was revealed to be the cheap generic cookies that I had brought in.

My mom used to work for the department of labor and industry. She said that very many generic brands are literally exactly the same as the name brand counterparts, even made in the same factory. They slap different labels on it to appeal to two different markets. This isn't the case with every food, but it's very common. It's also common with clothing and shoes. When I was 12 I had some really cool Nike sneakers. I visited my relatives over Christmas and my uncle had literally the exact same shoes without the Nike symbol stitched onto them. I'm sure he paid half the price.

There are some things that I really genuinely prefer the name brand, but for most things I buy the generic even when I'm earning plenty of money. And for things like eggs and butter, I always buy store brand even though I can't taste the difference because it's more likely to be local, and therefore fresher.

Most likely the name brands are product placements or gifts, like the huge supply of Campbell's Soup they got when they finished building the tinker toy house.

I sure am! Haha. It's funny that you ask because this is like a weird fascination for me. I can't speak for all American peanut butter, just the stuff in Michigan because we sometimes cross border shop there (OMG it's sooo cheap compared to our prices!). I found it to be weirdly oily and kind of gritty? The same thing with Oreos. They were crap compared to the ones here. The cookies were not as strongly flavoured and the icing was gritty and weird. I also hate Kroger chocolate milk it has a weird after taste and isn't as sweet as ours. Random, but I had to tell someone. Brit peanut butter is even worse though. It's...grittier and just nasty. I couldn't understand why my English friends hated it, until I tried it.

How many different brands of American peanut butter did you try? I have to admit that I really am not a big fan of the natural stuff, even though I buy a lot of natural and organic. Peanut butter is one of the areas where I usually will buy a conventional brand name.

Some things I don't care about. I get Great Value pasta. And if I'm in a hurry or don't want to make it from scratch, I'll get this one GV pizza sauce. But I will not get peanut butter or jelly in the generic brands. I'm a Jiffy girl all the way (I was SO excited when they came out with the all natural version! Its listed ingredients are like, Peanuts, Peanut Oil, Sugar. AWESOME). Once when I was a kid my dad bought some generic PB and refused to let us buy more until it was gone. But it was gross & nobody would eat it. So we had that jar for months. Finally one day my dad scooped up a big spoonful for a snack and practically spit out his PB Sammy and yelled "This is disgusting! Who bought this junk?!!" And we were like YOU DID!!!! And you said we couldn't get any more until we ate it all!!! So he threw it out and let us get real PB :) I mostly eat jelly I made myself but if we do buy it we get Smuckers.

There is no Kraft Peanut Butter in the US. I miss Crunchy and Smoothy! But, IMO, there isn't any difference in the taste/consistency of peanut butter in the US and Canada.

Chocolate, on the other hand, is so different. American chocolate is more waxy.

There is no Kraft Peanut Butter in the US. I miss Crunchy and Smoothy! But, IMO, there isn't any difference in the taste/consistency of peanut butter in the US and Canada.

I don't know. I wasn't there. My step dad just handed to me, saying he bought it over there so I took him at his word. He might have been lying (or forgetful).

A few years ago (after moving into the big house) I remember someone opening up a chest freezer and it seemed to be filled with Pepperidge Farm cinnamon raisin bread. And then there were the shelves groaning with can after can of Campbell's Chunky Soup.

We buy half store brands and other name brand and that seems to work for us. I do know that my sons prefered some store brand items over the name brand stuff, but kraft mac and cheese will be the only name brand that has to be name brand as store brand is just aweful.

Guest Anonymous

I'm fine with store brands for most things, the one place where I always stick to brand names is cereal. I tried the generic a few times but I always ended up throwing it out.

Hubby and I refuse to buy store brand/generic peanut butter. He gets Peter Pan and I buy Jif or Skippy. We refuse to eat each other's peanut butter, we're weird that way.

I couldn't eat name brand foods, unless it happened to be cheaper than generic, we grew up on food bank food or farm fresh, hand me downs or goodwill, depending on the year. Hubby grew up eating name brand food, wearing nikes, etc- so we end up bringing both ends of the spectrum to sevy's childhood :)

Quality vs Price. That is what we go by now...

I grew up in Ontario and spent my weekends in New York in the winter. The peanut butter is the same in my experience.

Like was said above, the big difference is in chocolate bars. American chocolate is waxy. American chocolate has a lot more preservatives and has more sugar than Canadian chocolate (which by the way has more sugar and preservatives than British chocolate. You can get British Cadbury chocolate bars at the Ontario side of the Duty Frees at most land crossings).

Also Canadian Mountain Dew is caffeine free. Our chips also have more flavour to them (especially in the past but since Lays started using an Ontario factory for the Eastern US instead of only for the Canadian market, they toned down the recipes in Canada. Oh and Tim Horton's coffee sizes are different.

Archived