IGNORED

Pro-Life Dry Cleaner Puts Anti-Abortion Message Coat Hanger

doggie

We have seen this before but it is a good writeup on the asshat.

Sure, why not? When you're an avid supporter of legislation that drives women to perform violent surgery on their own uteruses using wire coat hangers, what better place to spread your scribbly-crayon-font message of love than on those very same coat hangers? Killer plan. Know your audience, guys!

http://jezebel.com/5967539/pro+life-dry ... at-hangers

I publicized this when I was an intern for NARAL about two years ago. It wasn't the first time the company has been called out for it, and this clearly isn't the last time, even in the face of people refusing to do business there.

This really shows that beliefs are what this is about and not the people or babies involved.

These So called Christians really show their true colors with this.

That is wrong on so many levels.

Coat hangers should be pro choice, as its better to allow women to have safe abortions instead of using a coat hanger...

Coat hangers should be pro choice, as its better to allow women to have safe abortions instead of using a coat hanger...

I think many anti-choicers would disagree with that. I'm sure there are many out there who think (whether they would admit it or not) that the death penalty would be appropriate for "murdering" a "baby." I wouldn't be surprised in the least if many of them think women deserve the consequences of a hanger. SICK SICK SICK!!!!!

makes me wonder if fundies would be happy if abortion was illegal because out of sight out of mind theory. I mean Making abortion illegal won't stop abortions are they that ignorant or that uncaring?

Very true!!

WAY off topic but I once saw a story of a doctor who did free LEGAL abortions because he saw many women doing the coat hanger thing when he was an intern at a hospital.

makes me wonder if fundies would be happy if abortion was illegal because out of sight out of mind theory. I mean Making abortion illegal won't stop abortions are they that ignorant or that uncaring?

I vote both ignorant and heartless. I think most of them do truly believe (against all available evidence) that abortions would almost entirely stop if the procedure was criminalized. They have no idea the extent to which a desperate woman will go to get rid of an unwanted pregnancy.

After that logic, I also believe that many of them think that a woman who has an unsafe/illegal abortion deserves any harm (including death) that comes from it. Pro-life, my ass.

I vote both ignorant and heartless. I think most of them do truly believe (against all available evidence) that abortions would almost entirely stop if the procedure was criminalized. They have no idea the extent to which a desperate woman will go to get rid of an unwanted pregnancy.

After that logic, I also believe that many of them think that a woman who has an unsafe/illegal abortion deserves any harm (including death) that comes from it. Pro-life, my ass.

Sadly all too true. They really do think that women will carry the pregnancies to term and the babies will all be adopted by loving homes or somehow these women will miraculously be lifted from the circumstances that caused them to consider an abortion the proper course. Magical thinking at it's worst. That or they don't think at all beyond the blind following of abortion is murder.

Sadly all too true. They really do think that women will carry the pregnancies to term and the babies will all be adopted by loving homes or somehow these women will miraculously be lifted from the circumstances that caused them to consider an abortion the proper course. Magical thinking at it's worst. That or they don't think at all beyond the blind following of abortion is murder.

That's true, and if a woman dies because a pregnancy was too dangerous for her, some of them believe she still deserved to die even if it means that the fetus dies along with her. As George Carlin once said, those extremists don't like women at all as they don't care about them except for brood stock. He's also right in that they might even consider a woman who has had more than one period to be a serial killer, and I think he would get a good laugh at the tampon funeral site.

WAY off topic but I once saw a story of a doctor who did free LEGAL abortions because he saw many women doing the coat hanger thing when he was an intern at a hospital.

I've heard of a case of a doc or two back in the day who would do them illegally but safely as they saw the consequences of things like the coat hanger method. Obviously both professionally and personally this would have been incredibly risky but I'm glad at least a few were willing.

I've heard of a case of a doc or two back in the day who would do them illegally but safely as they saw the consequences of things like the coat hanger method. Obviously both professionally and personally this would have been incredibly risky but I'm glad at least a few were willing.

My elder cousin was an RN in an OBGYN practice. Her Dr. would perform safe illegal abortions in the office on weekends. My cousin would assist.

LadyFriend wrote:

doggie wrote:

Should we just tell all the fundies that abortion is now illegal so no one could possibly be having them? They would be so happy and relieved that the all the precious babybeez were all being born, safe and happy and oh-so-adorable. Meanwhile, safe legal abortions would be given to whomever needed or wanted one.....maybe they could be done at "massage parlors" or "hair salons" or the "biology/geology reading room and library." The only problem would be the fundie girls or women that wouldn't be in on it that needed abortions......

My elder cousin was an RN in an OBGYN practice. Her Dr. would perform safe illegal abortions in the office on weekends. My cousin would assist.

Good for them. Unfortunately, not all medical professionals would do they same. This coat hanger nonsense is so wrong and inappropriate, I don't even know what to say.

Dry cleaners? Why? What do other people use?

I meant for self-abortions... I just assumed there were other less dangerous methods out there.

I meant for self-abortions... I just assumed there were other less dangerous methods out there.

I don't think they were thinking that people would grab one of their hangers for a backyard abortion, see their message, and reconsider. I think they are just incredibly insensitive and haven't considered the associations coat hangers have with backstreet abortions.

I hope no woman is still led to the desperation of using a coat hanger to abort.

Guest Anonymous

That's what I get for not reading the whole thread. Regarding the coat hangers, I guess it's just a question of access.

Guys, I just saw an ad for a campaign for pro-choice license plates! I never see pro-choice ads on here, whenever we discuss abortion I usually just get ads for CPCs.

Guys, I just saw an ad for a campaign for pro-choice license plates! I never see pro-choice ads on here, whenever we discuss abortion I usually just get ads for CPCs.

:dance:

Some years ago (back in the 80s or early 90s), I saw a 20/20 segment on women teaching other women about menstrual extraction. It was a way to get around anti-choice laws and empower women to take of their reproductive health themselves. I don't know what happened to that movement.

In the book Up the Down Staircase by Bel Kaufman, one of her students died after an illegal abortion. I think she used a knitting needle which perforated her uterus. Up the Down Staircase is terrific book set in New York City schools in the 60s.

Some years ago (back in the 80s or early 90s), I saw a 20/20 segment on women teaching other women about menstrual extraction. It was a way to get around anti-choice laws and empower women to take of their reproductive health themselves. I don't know what happened to that movement.

In the book Up the Down Staircase by Bel Kaufman, one of her students died after an illegal abortion. I think she used a knitting needle which perforated her uterus. Up the Down Staircase is terrific book set in New York City schools in the 60s.

Penny thanks for the reminder about ME. I'm going to link the Wiki article for folks who are not familiar with the practice.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Menstrual_extraction

And totes agree about Up the Down Staircase. What an awesome book.

Penny thanks for the reminder about ME. I'm going to link the Wiki article for folks who are not familiar with the practice.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Menstrual_extraction

And totes agree about Up the Down Staircase. What an awesome book.

Bel Kaufiman is still living and still teaching at age 101. She teaches a class of Jewish humor at Hunter College. Bel was only 99 when she was hired. Her grandfather was Yiddish novelist Sholem Aleichem.

Edited for riffle

Archived