IGNORED

Where do you imagine your place would be in a fundie world?

AtroposHeart

I'd drink the kool-aid. All of it. Lack of education would help. I'd be depressed, manic, pontificating, Bible-memorizing. I'd shout from the roof-tops about the evils of the sort of independent woman my subconscious would envy. In quiet moments I'd wonder about the quiet void deep inside and conclude that more devotion would help.

....why is no one else giving this answer..... [goes to self-reflect for awhile]

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yanno, I'm not sure. I did grow up in a religious bubble, but said bubble was still downright liberal compared to the fundies we snark on. I gave up dresses at the age of 7-10ish, and read pretty much whatever I wanted.

Now that I'm an adult, I no longer identify with that religion. However, I still feel like I'm going to hell because I don't identify with "the one true church." In fact, the religious chaos is driving me so mad that I paid a visit to psych services.

I think in fundyland they would have talk therapy, but the only degree you could get would be in "biblical counseling," which I haven't found terribly helpful.

In fundyland, there would be no safe place to talk about the religious chaos and cognitive dissonance swirling in my head. I'd kill myself.

I'd probably conform because I had to, because I'm so blatantly unobservant I wouldn't even NOTICE the underground resistance movement unless one of my friends was connected. But inside I'd be feeling miserable, and I'd be feeling like I was going to hell because I'm only conforming on the outside but I didn't believe...

So, sorta what I'm doing/feeling like now, actually... except that now I have the option of going to see a therapist to help me sort things out. To realize that the walls are in my head, not on the outside.

If I didn't have that option, I really think I'd kill myself.

I'd either shut up and marry some nice Christian guy, be put in the secret prostitution centre that every fundie country has, or else be executed.

I would imagine Mr. Meda and I would be dead or in prison rather soon after the fundy takeover. We are both lawyers, and I work for a union and he does criminal defense for poor people. We bother represent a lot of things that fundamentalists hate, and we are the type of educated middle class people that repressive regimes of all sorts tend to liquidate rather quickly.

If it were now I'd have to go underground and run a speakeasy while handing out birth control and keeping a secret supply of bootlegged iuds in the back room. Gonna be a lot of women in the Colonies who haven't gotten pregnant for around 10 years :whistle:

Knowing what I was like when I was late teens to early twenties I'd probably be married with tons of kids, horribly depressed but still pretending everything's great while barely able to function.

This because I'd revert to my Messianic background and just talk the talk to avoid any confrontation which I despise.

Although I'd be absolutely miserable and worshiping the goddess on the down-low, which probably means I'd be burned at the stake or tortured to save my soul.

Guest Anonymous

My ebil Irish Catholic husband would be sent to a re-education camp. I might or might not be safe for being Lutheran, for a little while. However, we would both end up dead for thinking that fundies are batshit crazy and saying so.

Let's see . . . Jewish, almost a social worker (although if they took over the world today I'd never get my degree, I walk in the spring), friend of teh gheys, still single at my age . . . yeah, I'd be screwed (not literally - dammit!). They'd probably put me in a "reeducation" camp.

Underground, in an abandoned bunker created by Y2K consipracy theorists I absconded, surrounded by MREs and the books and beer I lugged down into the hole. And with every version of the Bible I can get my hands on, especially my KJV that includes the Apocrphya.

If fundies in power got their hands on us I'm sure that both my husband and I would be quickly killed and our kids sent to proper homes where could be beaten to death for being human. There is nothing in my life that a fundie would find valuable or worthy.

So in the event of a Fundie Apocalypse, I'd be over the border into Canada faster than you could holler "I've got marketable skills!". My joyfully subversive husband and I would set up a bar called "The Stasheff" right over the border. The bar would be a front for an education/escape initiative. I'm sure we'd serve a drink called the FreeJinger.

I'd drink the kool-aid. All of it.

Me too. Definitely. I'm gayer than a maypole, and eventually my outward behaviour would have to contradict that, and at that point I'd start dying inside... but apart from that, I'm a rigid thinker, a follower, quite... I don't know, orthorexic is the best word I can think of, conservative-minded I guess. I'd be a good little fundie and work really hard at it. I'd keep shutting up and submitting and would end up loathing myself for not being able to make it work. Then my actual physical depression would kick in and I'd just keep hating myself and not getting anything done, but I'd still drink the kool-aid.

I'd drink the kool-aid. All of it. Lack of education would help. I'd be depressed, manic, pontificating, Bible-memorizing. I'd shout from the roof-tops about the evils of the sort of independent woman my subconscious would envy. In quiet moments I'd wonder about the quiet void deep inside and conclude that more devotion would help.

....why is no one else giving this answer..... [goes to self-reflect for awhile]

I can relate. I'd be similar.

I'm not really sure if I'd drink the kool-aid, but I'd try to, and would be confused as to why I thought it tasted funny when everyone else seemed to like it. I would likely go along, while remaining confused as to why things didn't make sense to me like they seemed to make sense to everyone else.

I haven't read this thread until now (and now, since it's so long, I skipped around it) because it brings back memories of being "raised" to think one way and never quite figuring out why it wasn't satisfactory even though I was trying my darnedest to practice it. .... At some point, after I'd graduated from college, it dawned on me that I understood perfectly; I just disagreed.

If I'd never had the opportunity to learn to think critically (though I doubt that any 23-yr-old really successfully turns off their brain - even the J's - and that's why they get such a glassy-eyed look), I'd probably just resign myself to a life of feeling like I didn't fit in, being confused, and trying to make the best of it.

I'd support those who led the resistance and I'd find a way to participate. I'd be one of those, however, on the outskirts, talking to friends and neighbors and even my hubby. If the thought-monitoring was like Gideon, however, I'd probably be too afraid to trust anyone with my thoughts.

I would, however, enjoy the children! I always wanted to have a lot of kids. I wouldn't beat them with plumb lines, though, and I'd engage their brains rather than trying to shut them down.

Not sure. If this happened when I was younger, I'd probably be married off to a farmer (grew up in the country) and have a whole bunch of kids. If bc was banned, we would try to use NFP.

If this happened now. I would have to give up my job and my house in the city and move home to my parents' to be SAHD. Since I am a teacher, I might teach some subjects in homeschool co-ops. I would wear jeans at home and wrap around a skirt when I had to go out in public. I'd wear naughty unmentionables, too!

Or, since I am Canadian, I woud offer a refuge to any escaped FJers and be one of the ends of the Underground Railroad for the Resistance Movement.

I'd probably have to go back and live with my parents as a SAHD. Maybe I could homeschool my siblings - I have a degree so it has to be better than a lot of fundy moms right? At least it could benefit my brother. My sister would probably join the resistance and/or get arrested the minute she turned 18. If I was at home I'd probably finish my novel too (that seems to be a fundy-approved hobby) although I'm not sure I'd be able to do the proper research I need and I'm sure my book would be banned because my characters have pre-marital sex. ;) The alternative would be (since I'm not dating anyone) to try to work out a deal with one of my guy friends down here, "marry" him, and since I probably can't have kids anyway we have a ready excuse. He could keep going to school and I could self-study using his materials (which hopefully aren't edited to reflect creationism/etc. before we finish). Then I could attempt to provide somewhat legitimate medical care to resistance members... maybe I could start a "prison ministry" for all the FJ criminals ;)

It wouldn't occur to me to change the line, because, well, the line doesn't change. It doesn't just because you want it to or need it to. It is a thing which is there and is important. It's wrong to go against the line. Like scabbing (not as bad, but really not good).

It's nothing to do with being brave or rebellious (I'm not either). It's that the line is there. It's Party discipline. It's what it is wrong to oppose.

Shit, I know I am putting this badly *headdesk* But it's something which is central to my beliefs. I wish I could explain it in a way that made sense. :oops:

Yanno, I'm not sure. I did grow up in a religious bubble, but said bubble was still downright liberal compared to the fundies we snark on. I gave up dresses at the age of 7-10ish, and read pretty much whatever I wanted.

Now that I'm an adult, I no longer identify with that religion. However, I still feel like I'm going to hell because I don't identify with "the one true church." In fact, the religious chaos is driving me so mad that I paid a visit to psych services.

I think in fundyland they would have talk therapy, but the only degree you could get would be in "biblical counseling," which I haven't found terribly helpful.

In fundyland, there would be no safe place to talk about the religious chaos and cognitive dissonance swirling in my head. I'd kill myself.

I'd probably conform because I had to, because I'm so blatantly unobservant I wouldn't even NOTICE the underground resistance movement unless one of my friends was connected. But inside I'd be feeling miserable, and I'd be feeling like I was going to hell because I'm only conforming on the outside but I didn't believe...

So, sorta what I'm doing/feeling like now, actually... except that now I have the option of going to see a therapist to help me sort things out. To realize that the walls are in my head, not on the outside.

If I didn't have that option, I really think I'd kill myself.

Trynn, I doubt you're going to hell for that. All churches say they're the one true church. How are you supposed to know which one to pick?

I was thinking about my post the other day and decided that chances are since I'm not very open about being a Pagan that if my survival depended on it I could probably fake being fundie-lite. Hubby has a very manly job, I'm already a stay at home mom with five kids. Yes I've had my tubes tied so no more kiddies, but I could always claim female problems as a reason for infertility, or tell the truth that my health couldn't handle another pregnancy and my doctor advised me to have my tubes tied so I followed his advice. I seriously doubt the miserly fundies would pay to have the procedure reversed. I guess if hubby and I bought the extremely rural couple acres of land we have our eye on we could start a farm and try to be as self sufficient and off the grid as possible. We could claim to be working the land to be closer to God and to strengthen our walk with him like the Amish do. We could claim to be eating organic for Jesus because our bodies are his temple. That way we could probably get away with being as isolationist as the Maxwells we could homeschool and home church so that I could give my kids a real education and teach them my own secret religious beliefs as well as how to fake drinking the fundie koolaid. I guess we could fake it until we could escape or immigrate back to the Saner States of America

If the fundie-lution came tomorrow, the plan would be to stuff our camping gear in the car, add our personal library, raid the university library for as many books as the car will hold, add my SO and head for the hills. Fundies are anti-knowledge, so I'd start with saving as much knowledge as I could. Book-burning is probably one of the first things they'd do. My friends from all sorts of academic fields know the rendezvous spot (we're weird and have a plan for the zombie-apocalypse), so we'd start running an underground school and university from there. And several stills. We have books and whisky! Join us! Or, ahem, we'll just join the resistance.

Well, its not so much a story as it is a whole universe now, where the Southern states have seceded from the rest of the US and formed their own theocracy. The political system is the Tea Party version of libertarian, in which most stuff is left up to the states, but there is no gay marriage, homosexuality is regarded as a mental disease and abortion and birth control are banned. People are sent to "training centers" for things like questioning Christianity, having premarital sex, reading forbidden books, etc. And just about every family is supposed to be like the Duggars, though not all are.

I've been working in thus for nearly two years, once I get it together I think it will be something i would be proud of.

I'd love to read this too, but I have questions maybe not so much about your story, but about how you think a future like what you've written could actually happen, how would it all go down? Would there be another Civil War? I highly doubt that the Union would just let the southern states go and take all the military bases and ammunition in the south as a parting gift. What of the people in the south who didn't want to secede or who weren't fundie would they be kicked out, allowed to leave or forced to stay like the East Germans were after the Berlin Wall went up? Would there be a mass exodus from the fundie south? Would the United States welcome them or would the borders be closed? Would there be a closed armed border on either side to keep people in or out? Would there be infighting amongst the different denominations of fundies for control? How would the fundie south develope an economy and currency? What would their relationship to the UN and the rest of the world be? Who would be their allies and trade partners? How would they handle natural disasters if things like Katrina or Sandy became more frequent because of global warming? How would they explain it if they don't believe in global warming they're obeying God's laws and the rapture doesn't happen? What about the elderly who paid into social security and were planning on relying on it in their golden years? I guess I really wonder what is going on in the heads of the people who want this and how far they've really thought it through and how much of a clusterfuck to the rest of us think it would be

Trynn, I doubt you're going to hell for that. All churches say they're the one true church. How are you supposed to know which one to pick?

You're supposed to study the bible and then pick the One True Church that actually follows the Bible. Except that the Bible can be interpreted so many different ways...

I actually agree with you...It's hard to fight programming sometimes :( :( and that, I think, is where the fear of hell kicks in.

I'm Canadian, and I knew about using herbs for healing and birth control by the time I hit my teens. I'd be working on a tunnel for everyone to slip back and forth to my place for birth control and abortions. I'd also be opening a home for expectant mothers who didn't make it in time for an abortion, or didn't want one, but don't want any babies growing up in the lifestyle. I'd take in ALL of the mamas and kiddos, but I have to be realistic to a point - I'd be helping friends to get safe houses started for those, and a few for married couples and single men. Sadly, the men would have to pass a series of tests and evaluation before we let them in; the women would as well, but to a lesser extent. None of the tests would require any sort of intelligence or education, just enough info to prove that they don't want to overthrow our little colony.

Has anyone read "The Gate to Women's Country"? I LOVE that book.

Archived