IGNORED

Gen. Petraues Resigns Amid Affair Scandel

MandyLaLa

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/11 ... ffair?lite

CIA Director David Petraeus resigned Friday, citing an extramarital affair and "extremely poor judgement."

In a letter released to the CIA work force on Friday afternoon, Petraeus disclosed the affair, and wrote: "Such behavior is unacceptable, both as a husband and as the leader of an organization such as ours."

How bad is his "extremely poor judgement"? Has he done anything to harm the nation's security? That's a little concerning . . .

Maybe it's from coming of age during Clinton's trial, but I just fundamentally don't care who sleeps with who. Certainly he needs to apologize to his wife (assuming they have a monogamous marriage), but outside of that - eh.

How bad is his "extremely poor judgement"? Has he done anything to harm the nation's security? That's a little concerning . . .

Maybe it's from coming of age during Clinton's trial, but I just fundamentally don't care who sleeps with who. Certainly he needs to apologize to his wife (assuming they have a monogamous marriage), but outside of that - eh.

This was my first thought as well, but someone reminded me that any type of personal error in judgment that could lead to his being compromised (i.e. blackmailed) is pretty much a non-starter. It actually makes sense, although I also could care less who he sleeps with. I'm just not sure why he had to tell everyone that was the reason... "Personal issues" isn't sufficient?

A soldier can get kicked out of the military for having an affair. The rule doesn't prevent people from having affairs, though.

I don't think that having extra marital affairs makes a person a bad leader either. However, in the military sleeping around can cause some unusual problems. For example, what if you are in a combat situation and you realize that your superior slept with your spouse? What if you have to give orders to someone whose spouse you are sleeping with?

He was the head of the Central Intelligence Agency. It shows stunningly bad judgment to have an affair with someone when you're in that kind of a position of responsibility.

I don't think people would have cared so much if it was the Secretary of Agriculture or Education.

A soldier can get kicked out of the military for having an affair. The rule doesn't prevent people from having affairs, though.

I don't think that having extra marital affairs makes a person a bad leader either. However, in the military sleeping around can cause some unusual problems. For example, what if you are in a combat situation and you realize that your superior slept with your spouse? What if you have to give orders to someone whose spouse you are sleeping with?

Yep, having an affair is against the Uniform Code of Military Justice. It can get a servicemember discharged in all branches of service.

I don't care who is sleeping with who on a personal level and I wish this could gave been between the General and Mrs Petraeus.

Yes, adultery is punishable under the UCMJ but just who gets punished and when is a whole 'nother matter. From my observations as a DAC, enforcement of this issue was very, very selective and usually came up when the brass wanted to get rid of someone for other reasons as well or because they just didn't like them. Believe me, if every uniformed service member who was known or found to have had an affair was actually prosecuted under the UCMJ and then kicked out of the military, we'd have to re-instate the draft immediately!

Re: Petraues. A person working in intelligence or high security becomes vulnerable to blackmail & extortion through the affair if it's kept secret. I doubt, somehow, that Petraues had the affair last weekend and then fessed up this week. So, it's likely that the affair -- which could even have been long since over -- became known & Petraues was pressured about it.

He was set to testify about Benghazi next week.

Not a coincidence to many on the right, this whole resignation is very suspicious in its timing and it's obviously an excuse to get rid of him so he won't testify. And/or get rid of him so they can blame Beghazi on the former head of the CIA.

Oh, and because Mrs. Petraues works for the Consumer Protection Financial Bureau, there's already a twitter rumor that Petraues cheated with a staffer from Elizabeth's Warren campaign. :roll:

I'm going to be honest, I don't like seeing men in power who are married have open affairs. It shows contempt for their wives and the promises they made. Which is why I think Bill Clinton is skeevy. I don't know if Petraeus had one of those "in your face" affairs.

That said, I don't think affairs should cause you to lose your job (unless it's with a subordinate), but this is different. Like everybody has said, as the head of spooks an affair makes him blackmail-able and also may give people who shouldn't have it access to secrets whether they are blackmailing, selling them, or become the targets of blackmail themselves.

*disclaimer-I voted for Clinton twice and would have voted for him knowing he was a lying liar who lied when he said he "did not have sex with that woman".

Not a coincidence to many on the right, this whole resignation is very suspicious in its timing and it's obviously an excuse to get rid of him so he won't testify. And/or get rid of him so they can blame Beghazi on the former head of the CIA.

Oh, and because Mrs. Petraues works for the Consumer Protection Financial Bureau, there's already a twitter rumor that Petraues cheated with a staffer from Elizabeth's Warren campaign. :roll:

No, the other woman reportedly was his hagiographer biographer: http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/ ... apher.html

Benghazi? The people who believe that probably believed that Romney was going to win to the election and that the pre-election polls were skewed... :lol:

This indiscretion basically nullifies his top secret security clearance. My husband has a mid-level clearance and the list of reportable "infractions" include NSF overdrafts and parking tickets. I imagine the CIA director must remain squeaky clean. It was the honorable thing to do (after behaving dishonorably). He is no longer qualified to hold that post. When you work for the DOD your life no longer belongs to you. :(

There must be more to this story.

Edited because I should know better than to post something without a source attached.

Edited again: Found it!

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/11 ... s-say?lite

The biographer for resigning CIA Director David Petraeus is under FBI investigation for improperly trying to access his email and possibly gaining access to classified information, law enforcement officials told NBC News on Friday.

I would think that even an investigation would be enough to tank his career.

He was set to testify about Benghazi next week.

This is actually stupid on its face. There is nothing, absolutely nothing, that can stop Congress from subpoenaing Petraeus to show up at next week's hearing. AND, if Benghazi was the total disaster it's being made out to be on the Right, don't you think he would show up at the hearing with bells on if he was going to spill the beans about an awful fuckup?

I am at the point in my life where I'm fucking tired of right-wing nut job memes creeping into otherwise sensible discussion. That is all.

As usual, the Daily Mail is on it: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... d-CIA.html

Disgraced former CIA Director David Petraeus exchanged a sexually explicit email about having sex under a desk with his mistress and continued to pursue her by bombarding her with thousands of messages even after she had broken off the affair it has been revealed....

After being sworn in as CIA Director on September 6th, 2011, Broadwell broke up with Petraeus, but he continued to pursue her, sending her thousands of emails over the last few months - raising questions about his judgement which led in part to his resignation.

If this is true, good thing Petraeus resigned. This is exceedingly poor judgement - classic example of thinking with the little head.

Archived