IGNORED

Driscoll And Big Bang Theory

debrand

Rather than some public outrage against irresponsible addictive selfish boys who can shave, what do we have? Comedies. From inane television shows like “The Big Bang Theory†to “How I Met Your Mother†to bromance movies and pull-my-finger comedies from Seth Rogen, Andy Samberg, Zach Galifianakis and the like, we just laugh. Many men are not funny, but they are a joke.

I don't like a lot of sitcoms but I like Big Bang Theory. The men on the show aren't irresponsible selfish boys, they are just stereotypical nerds. I've never watched How I Met Your Mother, so I can't comment on that show. I suppose Leonard wouldn't be masculine enough for Mark but I'd far rather marry someone like the men on Big Bang Theory than Driscoll.

However, these shows are fiction and women are stereotyped in movies too. The flip side of being depicted as a childish man is that women are often depicted as sarcastic, always angry figures who have to parent the men. In real life, human beings are more complex than media depicts us. Most adults realize that and don't believe that the opposite sex acts like tv personalities.

It is also strange to read Mark Driscoll complain about the frat boy personalities in the movies and on tv when he is the epitome of a man/boy. He seems to be the type of person who wants desperately to prove that he is a man and hip.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/gue ... est-voices

The comments on the article explain why some women don't like "nice guys" 'cause the nice guys think that they deserve women, and when they don't get the woman they want, they're complaining assholes. Just because a woman doesn't want to be with you doesn't mean she's a bitchy whore. But I guess it's alright for the men to cheat in a marriage because women are supposed to stay home and "honor" them, amirite?

I don't like a lot of sitcoms but I like Big Bang Theory. The men on the show aren't irresponsible selfish boys, they are just stereotypical nerds. I've never watched How I Met Your Mother, so I can't comment on that show. I suppose Leonard wouldn't be masculine enough for Mark but I'd far rather marry someone like the men on Big Bang Theory than Driscoll.

Yeah, the men on Big Bang Theory never struck me as irresponsible selfish boys either, and as someone who's pretty nerdy myself, the nerd factor just kind of cracks me up as sometimes it hits pretty close to life. And I married a self-proclaimed nerd, who I think is wonderful. It's a good thing - we get to be nerds together!

I cannot imagine being married to someone like Driscoll. What a wretched man.

Jim Parsons (Sheldon) has more compassion in his little finger than Mark Driscoll has in his entire body. Driscoll is a puke.

:roll: That's kind of the point of the show - making comedy out of the stereotypes associated with nerds and, in Sheldon's case, people with Aspergers. I can see why a fundy would take issue with two men living together, goofing off, having various relationships that aren't intended to go anywhere, and focusing on their research instead of buying a house and looking for a wife. But that's a pretty typical way for young adults to live, except that we're not all highly successful physicists. I read Mark Driscoll's whining as more of the usual "waaah, why won't more people listen to me?"

The male characters on How I Met Your Mother do come off as a bit immature. But I agree with Minerva, this is pretty much Driscoll whining about people don't listen to him.

I would think that Marky Mark would somewhat identify with Neil Patrick Harris's manly, sexually insatiable character. Oh wait...NPH is one of those ebil gheys. Silly me.

The male characters on How I Met Your Mother do come off as a bit immature. But I agree with Minerva, this is pretty much Driscoll whining about people don't listen to him.

Yeah, but you have to admire how Neil Patrick Harris comes off like a total heterosexual horndog, when he's an ebil ghey married guy with kids! (My father was shocked when I told him.)

ETA: If given the choice between watching these sitcoms and Driscoll, it's the sitcoms, hands down. And I don't make a practice of watching TV.

I think fundies' bigger complaint is the constant dating environment the characters are drawn into. I admit that TV and movies showcase people far more promiscuous than the average Americans, but they also showcase homes that are nicer, clothes that are more fashionable, and hairstyles that are fancier than the average American.

The truth is shows are a form of escapism. Characters live exciting lives, they are surrounded by prettier people, they find closure at the end of the story. Real life doesn't work like that. Most people realize this, which is why watching TV is so much fun. Fundies should realize people who watch TV live pretty hum drum lives. Most probably had a few sex partners (if even that), most find and marry a nice person and settle down. People laughing at the antics of the guys on the Big Bang Theory does not spell the end of mature men.

It's also funny that the writer picks on the Big Bang Theory guys as these are smart, non-promiscuous guys with fulltime jobs. Isn't that the ideal fundie man? The characters have rarely been with women, they are fully employed, most spend their time with other men. Good grief, I bet most fundie men brought up with the courtship model probably act just as awkwardly around the female gender as the fictional characters on a show about nerds.

I think fundies' bigger complaint is the constant dating environment the characters are drawn into. I admit that TV and movies showcase people far more promiscuous than the average Americans, but they also showcase homes that are nicer, clothes that are more fashionable, and hairstyles that are fancier than the average American.

The truth is shows are a form of escapism. Characters live exciting lives, they are surrounded by prettier people, they find closure at the end of the story. Real life doesn't work like that. Most people realize this, which is why watching TV is so much fun. Fundies should realize people who watch TV live pretty hum drum lives. Most probably had a few sex partners (if even that), most find and marry a nice person and settle down. People laughing at the antics of the guys on the Big Bang Theory does not spell the end of mature men.

It's also funny that the writer picks on the Big Bang Theory guys as these are smart, non-promiscuous guys with fulltime jobs. Isn't that the ideal fundie man? The characters have rarely been with women, they are fully employed, most spend their time with other men. Good grief, I bet most fundie men brought up with the courtship model probably act just as awkwardly around the female gender as the fictional characters on a show about nerds.

Agreed.

Also, can someone tell me what an "irresponsible addictive selfish boys who can shave" is, exactly?

An addictive boy?

Personally, I think an irresponsible, selfish boy is one who believes in female submission and uses the Bible to indicate that God endorses anal sex (for women only, of course.)

Archived