IGNORED

Koran-burning pastor turned away by Canada

doggie

Gah, so we get to keep him? :?

Yeah . . . it makes me happy that he gets a royal smackdown, but no so much that we have to have him near us.

Also, he's really a dumb shit. Canada has their own ideology on freedom of speech/etc. Being American doesn't give you a free pass, turd.

Bah, I've helped burn a flag before. We did it in public and what we were threatened with was "incitement to violent disorder". This was because wild fascists appeared ;) and were not very happy about the action.

If you try and enter a country and say basically "Halo guyz im comin 2 ur contre & am goin to do som vilent disordre, kthxbye" they may not fully accept that you are entering with good intentions. :lol:

If you try and enter a country and say basically "Halo guyz im comin 2 ur contre & am goin to do som vilent disordre, kthxbye" they may not fully accept that you are entering with good intentions. :lol:

:clap: :dance: :clap:

A little OT: I once read an anecdote that, because of the worldwide spread of USAdian TV shows, people in other Western countries sometimes assume that things required under US law apply elsewhere. The story spoke of French citizens who, on being arrested, insisted on things like habeas corpus--which has nothing to do with the French judicial system.

So, Canada has the right to do whatever Canada wants--including having gorgeous, immaculate campgrounds, support for local musicians and artisans, and delicious tourtiere and butter tarts.

Terry Jones is not the only religious nutter the Canadians have asked not to come back after their first trip over. The Phelpsies visited Canada once, and it was notable because a Canadian policeman helped them burn a Canadian flag. (I am not Canadian, but it's my understanding it's not quite the wicked, wicked crime so many consider it to be here in the USA.) The policeman explained himself by saying that they (Phelpsies) were mucking it up and about to burn themselves, so he stepped in to complete the job so they wouldn't burn themselves and stay longer in Canada.

The Phelpsies have tried sneaking over into Canada since then, but have been turned back every time. Canadians have good taste.

Since Steven Harper is our PM (Canadian version of George Bush) , sadly, we don't. :cry:

I'd have to dig it up, but I read that he had a couple of criminal incidents in his background that would be enough for Canada to say no to him for anyway; they are very strict about that sort of thing. So he can't scream about religious discrimination and freedom of speech (WTF? Different country, asshole) as the only grounds.

I am truly sorry we share even a planet with these sorts of assholes, Canada. I can't say I blame you on the grounds of "what an asshole" alone.

Of course I am one of those weird Americans that doesn't worship the flag and thinks certain people need to chill when somebody burns one in an attempt to piss them off because dammit they are letting them win.

This from Toronto Star:

"...border officials cited a fine he got in Germany in 1993 for using the title “doctor†there (as a recipient of an honorary doctorate in theology), as well as a criminal charge of breaching the peace at a planned rally in Detroit last year."

So they kept him out on those items, not because he's a bigot.

Two years ago Ann Coulter was warned to educate herself as to what is acceptable in free speech in Canada after she publicly insulted a Muslim student and then called it sarcasm. Protests forced her appearance at University of Ottawa to be cancelled.

I think she should have been kept out too. But if she didn't have a criminal charges history, it would be harder to keep her out.

And yeah, it irks me big time that he whines about freedom of speech. It implies so much. Mostly stupidity.

We have freedom of speech. We also have the Charter of Rights, and discrimination and hate speech laws, in case anybody has a hard time being nice when they open their fat mouths and empty out their bigoted brains. You can talk all you want up here. Just stay between the lines.

"breaching the peace" might just be a nice way of saying "being a total asshole"?

As for the Phelps, they're banned in places other than Canada, too. I'd be surprised if they were bitching about it anymore. I recently was looking up info on Westboro Baptist on wiki and found myself looking at their individual wiki pages. A lot of them are also banned from the UK, and probably a number of other countries because of their hateful behavior.

I think we'll see a lot of this in the near future. I really hope so, anyway. I don't think the world as it is today should be encouraging of the 'freedom' to tear others down, humiliate them, and show judgment and hatred for their very existence. And I tend to think that the people who feel this is a failure of 'freedom of speech' are really in a minority. A very vocal minority, but nonetheless...

This from Toronto Star:

"...border officials cited a fine he got in Germany in 1993 for using the title “doctor†there (as a recipient of an honorary doctorate in theology), as well as a criminal charge of breaching the peace at a planned rally in Detroit last year."

So they kept him out on those items, not because he's a bigot.

{Bolding mine} IMO (and I could be a sensationalist here) the border guards used those as the official reason for keeping him out. I like to think they knew what kind of gobshite he is and so looked for a reason that would hold up in court.

{Bolding mine} IMO (and I could be a sensationalist here) the border guards used those as the official reason for keeping him out. I like to think they knew what kind of gobshite he is and so looked for a reason that would hold up in court.

The border knows exactly what he is and they knew he was on his way, and they know Canadian sentiment. Windsor had a huge kerfuffle a few years ago when some pastor near the university started a series about why Islam is bad. One of the Creaky Kids was at the university at that time and said things were heating up on campus on account of it. It was not pretty.

I live in the Windsor-Detroit area and know Canadian border guards. It was a topic of discussion that Jones was on his way to come to Canada. People were NOT happy about him coming to Canada. No country is obligated to allow someone entrance, so I don't think court is even an issue. Jones clearly does not understand our laws. However, he just made it easy with his record.

I don't get this guy. How does he sleep at night knowing that because of his actions, people die? I know I couldn't deal with it if I did something that resulted in people's dealths. Maybe I'm too sensitive. (I almost always put bugs, spiders, small lizards (we live in the desert) outside rather than killing them.) This guy is a hate machine. Again, how does he deal with it in his heart of hearts? And he is supposedly a man of religion. An he has followers. I am getting depressed....

Archived