IGNORED

It's only ok to have an abortion if you have a mistress.

doggie

Pressuring a girl to get an abortion is not *pro-choice*. To me, this is just more evidence that fighting abortion is about taking away a woman's autonomy. This douchebag is actually a very consistent douchebag; he thinks he calls the shots with other people's bodies.

This. Pro-choice is about choice - the choice about whether or not to have children, how many to have if you decide to have children, decisions like spacing, dealing with infertility, adoption...

What's good for the big important goose is evil and should be illegal for the lowly gander!

Pressuring a girl to get an abortion is not *pro-choice*. To me, this is just more evidence that fighting abortion is about taking away a woman's autonomy. This douchebag is actually a very consistent douchebag; he thinks he calls the shots with other people's bodies.

Bingo. It's all up to him, on his terms. As soon as he "sees the light," everyone else must also.

This stuff always reminds me of my favorite conservative hypocrite: "Hot Tub Tom" DeLay.

This is so common. :( I can think of 4 people off hand I've known personally who were vocally anti-abortion but who had them when they needed one.

For those who haven't seen it yet - "The Only Moral Abortion is My Abortion" http://mypage.direct.ca/w/writer/anti-tales.html

I'd never really thought about it, but emmiedahl made a good point about it being not so much about opposing abortion as about taking the choice away from the woman. The women I mentioned above were all under pressure from either the father, their family, or the attitudes of their church and community to abort so nobody knew about the pregnancy (and, I suspect, in some cases so it wouldn't come out that she'd been having sex with the man who got her pregnant).

Raine, that is really enlightening. I have always been mystified where the "allowing abortion is bad for women because so many women are coerced into having abortions!" thing came from. But if it's common in their social circles (and if SAYING you did it under pressure is common whether it's true or not, like how girls who have sex before marriage are always presumed to have been pressured by the boyfriend) it makes more sense that people argue that.

Politicians like that, who would tell them about an abortion? So the only actual abortion this dude might know about is the one he pressured his mistress into having.

Yep. I can have one but you can't.

One of my HS friends had an abortion in her Jr. year. She has concealed that from her family and presents herself as the most self righteous of the teaparty, prolife, anti-choice, Frothy-ites that ever lived. Her pietistic, holier than thou FB posts "How ANY woman could kill, murder her precious little fetus is beyond comprehension" always makes me do a double-take. Her stance is...bewildering. She had an abortion because she was completely unprepared to deal with it, but she will vote to deny any other woman that right. Frothy's wife...same type of scenario. She had an abortion. Not evil for her, she NEEDED it. Evil for you. You don't.

I'm curious if you've ever asked her about it- what makes her so special that she is the only woman who can be trusted to make that decision? Especially when her life wasn't threatened by the pregnancy.

(I know that's a bitchy question but these hypocrites piss me off. And I'd love to call one out one day, in a public fashion.)

It's the same attitude that people like "Joe the Plumber" that welfare is bad except when his family needed it because they "really" needed it (vs everyone else who were just lazy bums).

Or Mitt, who figures everyone on welfare is a non-contributing freeloader, except his dad, who needed welfare to "get back on his feet" when he was done bumming around Mexico.

So to recap:

Threat to the institution of family: two committed people of the same sex marrying and raising children together.

Threat to the institution of family: a woman making her own reproductive choices.

Family values-approved: Impregnating the woman with whom you're cheating on your wife and then making her get an abortion.

I'd like to add Rep. Paul Broun's Family values-approved item to this list:

Family values-approved: Is such a supporter of marriage that he's a serial monogamist (four marriages and counting so far.)

I'd like to add Rep. Paul Broun's Family values-approved item to this list:

Family values-approved: Is such a supporter of marriage that he's a serial monogamist (four marriages and counting so far.)

oooh, we should add Newt to the list, then.

Family values-approved: Giving your wife the choice between an open marriage or a divorce so you can marry your mistress.

• 1 month later...

The hypocrisy continues: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/1 ... ref=topbar

NASHVILLE, Tenn. — Republican U.S. Rep. Scott DesJarlais testified during divorce proceedings that he and his former wife made a "mutual" decision for her to have two abortions, according to divorce transcripts released Thursday.

The 2001 court transcripts were released by the state Democratic Party, which had tried to air the documents before the Nov. 6 election. A DesJarlais spokesman didn't immediately return a message seeking comment.

DesJarlais easily won a second term despite revelations that he once urged a patient with whom he was having an affair to get an abortion. DesJarlais, whose campaign platform opposed abortion, acknowledged the conversation but said he was only trying to get her to admit she wasn't pregnant.

The transcripts show that woman testified under oath that she had been pregnant. She declined to elaborate on the outcome of the pregnancy.

On his campaign website, DesJarlais espoused an anti-abortion position, saying: "All life should be cherished and protected. We are pro-life."

According to DesJarlais' testimony, the first of his ex-wife Susan's abortions was because she was taking an experimental drug that carried potential risks in pregnancy. The second came amid problems in their relationship.

"Things were not going well between us and it was a mutual decision," he said. "I don't think that it was easy for either one of us. I think it was a very difficult and poor choice and I think that there are probably regrets both ways."

First thought - in for a penny, in for a pound.

Since you're already sinners, might as well get that abortion to protect the man's reputation so that he may continue on in the work the lord has set for him. It wouldn't do for such a moral man to be dragged down by his wanton, misleading mistress. For the greater good of the world.

Second thought, what happened to this man (so many like him) to think that his crazy rules apply to everyone except him?

it was just on the news that his wife had 2 abortions throughout their marriage, in addition to the 3 children she carried to term.

they only showed 3 kids and i know that they like to trot them out, so i'm assuming they only have 3 kids.

Anyone could turn the doctor in, but the situation probably wasn't broadcasted until now.

ETA: Also, I've heard a lot of pro-life arguments that claim most/all (depending on the amount of hyperbole being used) abortions are coerced, and this just makes me think that argument is a big pile of projection.

I agree. They've never seen their wives make an independent decision, so they can't imagine the rest of us do. The usual crap about how women are instinctively maternal and nurturing, and therefore must desperately want kids, and it's therefore impossible for them to not want to carry every pregnancy they ever have to term, obviously plays into it as well.

So... um... it's not a "baby" if it's from a mistress? Interesting.

I don't ever want an abortion... I'd LOVE to have more kids, but my body just doesn't want that to happen. But I sure ain't going to tell someone else what to do with their own bodies. It's interesting these politicians can get the procedure done but not regular people. Not surprising though, they're ALL hypocrites.

First thought - in for a penny, in for a pound.

Since you're already sinners, might as well get that abortion to protect the man's reputation so that he may continue on in the work the lord has set for him. It wouldn't do for such a moral man to be dragged down by his wanton, misleading mistress. For the greater good of the world.

it's horrifying but I think this really is the way they think..

I think my friend was right. Most politicians who venture on the values bandwagon do it for show. So many do not practice what they preach. All their talk of the sanctity of marriage while divorcing and remarrying and their prolife values while pushing girlfriends to have abortions and bombing everyone that don't look like them....

Archived