IGNORED

Why do the fundies "despise" Catholic's so much?

Justme

Ditto. How do you promote women as 2nd class citizens and hold Mary in such high esteem?

Well, the Catholic Church manages to do both simultaneously so I am sure the fundies could manage it as well, if they really wanted to.

They seem to single them out as not "Christian enough". Yet, the Catholic was the very first church started by Peter. All other churches are "offshoots".

This is not technically true. Orthodox Christianity and Roman Catholicism split form eachother, thus both of them were the very first church (google is also telling me Middle Eastern Christianity was the first to split from both RC and Orthodox before they split, so make of that what you will).

I'm Catholic and once had a Baptist friend tell me in middle school that I belonged to a cult and I would go to hell for not believing in the rapture. Her mother also called the Catholic church the anti-Christ.

Oddly enough, I got more and more religious as I got older and now she doesn't go to church. I don't know where I'm going with this but I thought it was funny.

I'm Catholic and once had a Baptist friend tell me in middle school that I belonged to a cult and I would go to hell for not believing in the rapture. Her mother also called the Catholic church the anti-Christ.

Oddly enough, I got more and more religious as I got older and now she doesn't go to church. I don't know where I'm going with this but I thought it was funny.

I find the churches who think the Catholic church is the anti-Christ tend to be the same churches who promote praying to get rich and for other benefits. Where the Catholic church (and some others) tend to be based on sacrifice. When you only go to church to get something out of it (like wealth), and you don't--then it's time to get mad at God and quit.

I also got more religious as I got older too. I sometimes wonder if my protestant friends (who regularly "backslid") is still in church or not. I lost touch with them after high school.

I think a lot of it is fear of the unknown and fearing what it different. There is a lot of misinformation spread in fundamentalist circles especially when it comes to other Christian churches. Some people in the IFB churches believe the Catholic Church is the Whore of Babylon mentioned in Revelation.

A friend of mine once mention she knew someone who wouldn't buy the Christmas stamps with the Madonna picture on it because Catholicism is a cult.

Archived