IGNORED

How not to homeschool:

Koala

I'm sure we've discussed this site before, but biblicalscholarship.net has given me endless hours of fun as I wade through such pearls of wisdom as:

'By the time my daughter was 6.5 years old, her basic education was complete'.

and

'Biblical schlolarship pursued by those of faith results in a platinum level of scholarship that transcends all other scholarship-- babies, as a matter of course, read while still in diapers, eyes are opened, weak men become strong, the simple become wise.'

Oh, and she's also a fan of 'the rod'.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd be a fly on the wall to get a history lesson on unicorns when they are mentioned in the bible.

I'm sure we've discussed this site before, but biblicalscholarship.net has given me endless hours of fun as I wade through such pearls of wisdom as:

'By the time my daughter was 6.5 years old, her basic education was complete'.

and

'Biblical schlolarship pursued by those of faith results in a platinum level of scholarship that transcends all other scholarship-- babies, as a matter of course, read while still in diapers, eyes are opened, weak men become strong, the simple become wise.'

Oh, and she's also a fan of 'the rod'.

Great site, and yeah, provided great snark

Sigh. :oops: The Christian school my kids started out in used A Beka. Thankfully it closed a few years ago, supposedly because of the poor economy. I still can't figure out why we, along with many other parents, spent over 3K a year per child (we got a multi-child discount but it wasn't much) on such a crappy place when we were already paying taxes for pretty good public schools.

I've apologized to my kids many times for subjecting them to that crap, and they forgive me. And since they're both agnostic liberals, I don't think it did any permanent damage.

I went to Christian school K-7th grade. What did they use? A Beka. Horrible, horrible. I was a huge bookworm and lucky to have science and history teachers in 6th & 7th grade that refused to use A Beka. As a result, I held my own in English, history, and science when I transferred to public in 8th grade. Math, however...UGH. I had a great math teacher in 8th grade who recognized that I hadn't been taught well and did all she could to help. (She told my mom at the end of the year that she'd seen many former private schoolers struggle with math in public school, and she was pleased that I'd made so much progress in her class.) I ended up struggling with math all the way through college, and I blame A Beka.

Archived