IGNORED

Wake the eff up! NSFW

Witsec7

Awe, look it's the big white man telling people when it's appropriate and not appropriate to be offended by people's misunderstanding of racism, how cute! There's no such thing as individual racism, sweetie.

edit: experiencedd, I didn't borrow your mesquite and replace some of it with candy, I swear! :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

Thanks for telling a woman of colour to harden up and ignore shit. I'd never have come up with that myself. It's not something I learned from childhood onwards. I tried to point out the issues to Athena, but I'm glad you're around to help us all understand. It shows that you truly understand the issues at hand, and have a deep knowledge of dealing with institutionalised racism. /sarcasm

I apologise, that isn't what I was trying to say at all. I agree with everything you've said, actually, I just clearly missed the part where Athena apparently said that racism against whites was totally a thing. If you can point that out to me, I would be grateful.

I apologise, that isn't what I was trying to say at all. I agree with everything you've said, actually, I just clearly missed the part where Athena apparently said that racism against whites was totally a thing. If you can point that out to me, I would be grateful.

The whole conversation begins on page one of this thread, where she says that anyone can be racist against anyone, without regard for power-structures. Please, read the links for further information.

eta to clarify

Awe, look it's the big white man telling people when it's appropriate and not appropriate to be offended by people's misunderstanding of racism, how cute! There's no such thing as individual racism, sweetie.

edit: experiencedd, I didn't borrow your mesquite and replace some of it with candy, I swear! :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

Thank you for assuming I'm a white man.

It seems a waste of effort to me to be offended at a misunderstanding, but whatever, if you want to be offended go right ahead. You absolutely have every right to be offended and I wasn't intending to say otherwise. I was simply confused because Athena didn't seem to be saying what you all said she was saying.

Thank you, Sumari, I'll read through the links.

ETA: Ohhhhh. That makes way more sense. Next time I'll just read the links first, and slow internet be damned :oops:

My sincere apologies, Sumarai and Anxious Girl.

Debate aside, that was a fucking amazing video. It ran for close to four minutes but was still compelling enough to keep the watcher engaged and wanting more. It also managed to spell out the issues clearly and simply, listing the way each demographic is going to be affected by Mittens and his dead-eyed second.

This is what political messages need to look like.

Brilliant work.

This isn't the first time I have wished I could marry Samuel L. Jackson.

Anxious Girl, Athena is not a troll. Not everyone we have disagreements with are trolls.

I think maybe you guys are talking past each other. I could be wrong, but what I'm reading is that Athena is saying that individual racism is separate from (although usually related to) systematic racism. Therefore, an individual person can be racist about anyone, but I don't think she's trying to be all "but what about the whitez" or claim reverse racism or anything like that. Institutional racism isn't the same as individual racism, and I think it's pretty obvious to most people that in fact white people still have a ridiculous amount of privilege other other races.

Also obvious is that the comments on that video were made by asshats.

There is nothing in this post I don't agree with.

When I was a child, there were a few instances where I was bullied specifically because I was white. Had I been any other race, I wouldn't have been bullied by those people. I have a hard time trying to believe those bullies weren't motivated by race and weren't racist.

And the ad is paid for by...the Jewish Council for Education and Research. A quick Google shows me that they're the same people who organized the Great Shlep, which brought out older voters in Florida who were scared to vote for Obama.

Generally speaking, the people who are negatively affected by being white tend to be immigrants or children of immigrants, because the government programs available to other underprivileged youth often aren't as available to them, since they are still the majority race.

They never seem to be the ones claiming reverse racism, though. That's almost entirely entitled whiny douchebags who are completely oblivious of the advantages they've had and throw tantrums when others try to create a more equal society.

They never seem to be the ones claiming reverse racism, though. That's almost entirely entitled whiny douchebags who are completely oblivious of the advantages they've had and throw tantrums when others try to create a more equal society.

QFT and well said. :clap:

Thank you for assuming I'm a white man.

It seems a waste of effort to me to be offended at a misunderstanding, but whatever, if you want to be offended go right ahead. You absolutely have every right to be offended and I wasn't intending to say otherwise. I was simply confused because Athena didn't seem to be saying what you all said she was saying.

Thank you, Sumari, I'll read through the links.

ETA: Ohhhhh. That makes way more sense. Next time I'll just read the links first, and slow internet be damned :oops:

My sincere apologies, Sumarai and Anxious Girl.

No worries. Sorry about getting quite so pissy at you.

edited for grammar

...And in this thread is everything that is inherently wrong with this election cycle. Everybody wants to hijack conversations about issues and make it about race. Let me just say this, at one point or another, every group has been discriminated against. That's neither here nor there with regards to this video. Instead of arguing about who has it worse, I would love to see some intelligent discussions about policy or something substantive besides a soapbox war.

Ouch! My hand!

:roll:

No kidding. I love being talked down to first thing in the morning. :angry-soapbox: I need another cup of coffee.

And the ad is paid for by...the Jewish Council for Education and Research. A quick Google shows me that they're the same people who organized the Great Shlep, which brought out older voters in Florida who were scared to vote for Obama.

Yup the JCER did the producing and Alexander Soro's funded the project.

That was a pretty funny video, I must say. I'm not jumping into the argument, I've rolled my eyes at far too many "reverse racism" complaints this week, and rolling my eyes isn't good for my headaches.

That was a pretty funny video, I must say. I'm not jumping into the argument, I've rolled my eyes at far too many "reverse racism" complaints this week, and rolling my eyes isn't good for my headaches.

What?? You're not even going to tell us which side your eyes are rolling to? Not even a hint??? :mrgreen: Smart girl. :lol:

I doubt it was broadcast on television, it's way too long to be played in a regular commercial break. They are probably relying on other methods to circulate it, possibly having it played during shows like the Daily Show or through viral internet advertising. Though I guess if they separate it into sections that just do one of the scenarios (girl talking to brother, girl talking to sister, etc) they might be able to cut it up into commercial-length segments that could be broadcast.

I doubt it was broadcast on television, it's way too long to be played in a regular commercial break. They are probably relying on other methods to circulate it, possibly having it played during shows like the Daily Show or through viral internet advertising. Though I guess if they separate it into sections that just do one of the scenarios (girl talking to brother, girl talking to sister, etc) they might be able to cut it up into commercial-length segments that could be broadcast.

Pity, I really hoped it had been.

I thought the video was brilliant! I posted it on my Twitter account. I don't think that the actual video is being played on the MSM, but the Obama campaign is clearly working the internet outlets. I saw it on Reddit and several people have linked to it on FB. The MSM is writing "about" the video. An article about it did show up in my Google News feed.

For what it's worth, I think that the racial message on the video was actually a compliment to thinking people of all races. The caucasion family is completely unfazed by the famous face that keeps popping up and commanding them to wake up. The fact that we can watch and accept that the family is comfortable with the cursing black man yelling in their face is acutally a big part of the message. We need to show the haters that we actually like being comfortable each other, that it is American to embrace other Americans regardless of previous stereotype. But if we like this unity, we need to get out there and vote for it. The other side is preaching for a return to a white male dominated society where people of color, alternate faith, females and the elderly are marginalized.

Archived