IGNORED

Sarah from Romantic History

themadapple

I've seen Sarah from Romantic History discussed here now and again. I originally found her through one of those "A Week in Feminine Dress" posting sprees and have been reading her blog for some time. Admittedly, more for her historical dress reproductions than pure fundie snark these days.

However, looking back over her past entries, I found a goldmine. She recently gave birth to a daughter and had written series of posts concerning the event. But what made me ever so skillfully raise one eyebrow was the following, which describes the time after she had her Implanon removed (from romantichistory.blogspot.com/2012/08/the-birth-of-baby-anne-part-4.htm):

Looking back now, I think God allowed that period of time so that I would genuinely *want* another baby. That time of waiting was emotionally hard for me. It got harder when David started telling me that he didn't want any more children. I felt cheated somehow. After all the struggles I had gone through to get to the point where I was willing to say "okay" to another baby my husband was now telling me he didn't want one. He started talking about getting a vasectomy.

I argued with him. I rebelled. I told him if he didn't want to father my children I'd have to find someone else who was willing. I was horrid to him. His favorite argument was that we couldn't afford a new vehicle at the time and we didn't have room in our current one for another child. I did see his point.

How manipulative is that? I've always found her husband to be an infuriating oaf (and still do). But telling your husband, who did not want another child and is offering to get a vasectomy, that you will find somebody else to sire your offspring? It seems she realizes how badly that came off as, but nonetheless.

Perhaps she's anxious to fill the quiver. Perhaps she's defined herself so much as the bearer of life that the prospect of stopping at three was too much for her to contemplate. It reeks of desperation, in any event.

there's this disconnect between the biblical line of thinking where headship always knows best and normal person thinking of "I know best why won't he LISTEN." You'd think someone more concerned with following biblical principles would accept what her husband decides, but no. Even the ones who make a big production of quietly submitting make a big deal of praying for their husbands' minds to change.

Either you truly leave it in god's hands or you don't.

Leaving it in God's hands = Getting other people to do what you know God wants, because you're a special snowflake.

If I was a man, i would run from a woman who was trying to pressure me into having children as fast as I could.

there's this disconnect between the biblical line of thinking where headship always knows best and normal person thinking of "I know best why won't he LISTEN." You'd think someone more concerned with following biblical principles would accept what her husband decides, but no. Even the ones who make a big production of quietly submitting make a big deal of praying for their husbands' minds to change.

Either you truly leave it in god's hands or you don't.

This is one of the things that got on my nerves the worst with the extreme patriarchy crowd. I was on a few groups and mailing lists and it seems like there were always threads and posts where women were saying their husband didn't want them to have more children, wear headcoverings or frumpers, quit their jobs, homeschool, or do whatever else would help them fit in with their fundie blog friends. There was always talk about "praying for the Lord the change his heart", but there was also a lot of manipulation and either trying to guilt/coerce the husband into going along with it or being deceitful by lying, doing things behind his back, or purportedly fucking up things they didn't want to do just to get the husband to go along with it.

This is one of the things that got on my nerves the wort with the extreme patriarchy crowd. I was on a few groups and mailing lists and it seems like there were always threads and posts where women were saying their husband didn't want them to have more children, wear headcoverings or frumpers, quit their jobs, homeschool, or do whatever else would help them fit in with their fundie blog friends. There was always talk about "praying for the Lord the change his heart", but there was also a lot of manipulation and either trying to guilt/coerce the husband into going along with it or being deceitful by lying, doing things behind his back, or purportedly fucking up things they didn't want to do just to get the husband to go along with it.

I've noticed that quite a bit through my internet travels. Perhaps the husband is more or less conservative but doesn't buy too much into these fundie female gender roles, is not interested in having the wife submit, doesn't want to be the only one to make all of the household decisions, isn't really a "leader", etc. The woman wants the fundie dynamic for whatever reason and tries to enforce it in this way. In doing so she's really asserting a sort of dominance.

If any of you have watched John and Kate + 8 *shudders*, you can see something of this. In one episode, they're dragging their brood about somewhere or another. Kate yelled to Jon, "You're the leader! Lead!" Of course, no one would ever doubt that Kate was truly the leader of that bunch.

Archived