IGNORED

Don't pay Maxwells for child guidance --

MamaJunebug

A friend DVR'ed a morning show for a recipe she thought I'd like, and I did, and I got a lagniappe to boot:

http://www.perfectlyplaced.org/

Susan Stewart is a short-haired, jewelry-wearing professional organizer who does wear two layers of shirt -- but boy, do they still show her neck! -- and she has a template for what amounts to "chore packs" that she will send for free!!!

Now, she may/not have actual chore templates but she does have picture/word templates to help children remember the things they need to do to get ready for (terrible old non-home) school on time.

Take that, Steve-O!!!! Your chore pack empire is being chipped, chipped, chipped away at by any number of competitors.

A friend DVR'ed a morning show for a recipe she thought I'd like, and I did, and I got a lagniappe to boot:

OT: MJB are you from Louisiana? I ask because you used lagniappe....

I love when this happens! I haven't read the site, mind you, but I almost always appreciate people who recognize the importance of making information financially accessible to everyone.

The Maxwells, on the other hand, over-charge for their materials - materials I personally believe are second-rate if the available samples are any indication - and moreover the Maxwells show absolute disdain towards anyone who would like to access their writing free (even if it's only through a library).

OT: MJB are you from Louisiana? I ask because you used lagniappe....

MJB is not from LA. I used to live in LA. and I always appreciate a good "lagniappe". :dance:

Somehow, millions of children have been raised without the Maxwell system, even in large families. Mainly because parents do what works in their family with their children and their priorities.

The Maxwells make money off insecure people who aren't sure how to handle life at home with a bunch of kids; families that are insecure in their 'godliness' and need someone to tell them exactly how it should be so they can follow all the right rules.

Organization tips have been online since there was such a thing as online, all for free. There is also the good old stand by resource of talking to family and friends who have gone before you; building on your own experiences and those of others you respect and trust.

Some people are better at organizing than others, but the key is - in my opinion - to find what works for you, not some magical, rules based system. If you have 8 kids and need to teach them how to do chores, teach them, work with them.

I remember my cousin, the mother of three boys, when she married her husband who has two boys. Five boys in her small house between the ages of 8 and 17. Each boy had things they were good at and things they weren't. After a few months, they had it figured out and everyone had chores and responsibilities and they just did them. The 8 year old seemed to have a mental block when it came to the garbage; he never remembered, or chose not to. After giving him that job, and seeing the results, they switched jobs. When he was given the job of walking the dogs and cleaning the poop in the yard, he did it without complaint or issue because - well, he didn't mind, he liked being with the dogs, didn't care about the 'dirty' part of the job.

Instead of fitting all those boys into rules and a system, they fit the system to their boys. To be honest, many of us really were kind of amazed at how well they blended their families (in all ways, not just 'chores') and made it work so well so quickly. This happened, in all ways, because the adults counted who their children are and what those children need; what they enjoy and are 'good' at and what they just can't 'grasp' or whatever.

I think, honestly, people who flock to those with a system like the Maxwells are taking the lazy way out. They want a quick fix and rules right now without taking the time or putting in the effort to know their kids and what their strengths are. The girls have to be homemakers so they have to fit into the homemaking set of chores.

Rant over. But, as always, the Maxwells saw insecurities in their 'community' and are capitalizing on it. They are taking advantage of others.

Somehow, millions of children have been raised without the Maxwell system, even in large families. Mainly because parents do what works in their family with their children and their priorities.

The Maxwells make money off insecure people who aren't sure how to handle life at home with a bunch of kids; families that are insecure in their 'godliness' and need someone to tell them exactly how it should be so they can follow all the right rules.

Organization tips have been online since there was such a thing as online, all for free. There is also the good old stand by resource of talking to family and friends who have gone before you; building on your own experiences and those of others you respect and trust.

Some people are better at organizing than others, but the key is - in my opinion - to find what works for you, not some magical, rules based system. If you have 8 kids and need to teach them how to do chores, teach them, work with them.

I remember my cousin, the mother of three boys, when she married her husband who has two boys. Five boys in her small house between the ages of 8 and 17. Each boy had things they were good at and things they weren't. After a few months, they had it figured out and everyone had chores and responsibilities and they just did them. The 8 year old seemed to have a mental block when it came to the garbage; he never remembered, or chose not to. After giving him that job, and seeing the results, they switched jobs. When he was given the job of walking the dogs and cleaning the poop in the yard, he did it without complaint or issue because - well, he didn't mind, he liked being with the dogs, didn't care about the 'dirty' part of the job.

Instead of fitting all those boys into rules and a system, they fit the system to their boys. To be honest, many of us really were kind of amazed at how well they blended their families (in all ways, not just 'chores') and made it work so well so quickly. This happened, in all ways, because the adults counted who their children are and what those children need; what they enjoy and are 'good' at and what they just can't 'grasp' or whatever.

I think, honestly, people who flock to those with a system like the Maxwells are taking the lazy way out. They want a quick fix and rules right now without taking the time or putting in the effort to know their kids and what their strengths are. The girls have to be homemakers so they have to fit into the homemaking set of chores.

Rant over. But, as always, the Maxwells saw insecurities in their 'community' and are capitalizing on it. They are taking advantage of others.

My parents had a similar system in which chores/duties were delegated based on a combination of who liked doing certain chores or who was better at certain things. I agree parents could sit down and talk with children about chores and about what they feel comfortable doing or they come up with a system stuff is rotated. The Maxwells would have hated my family. One of my sisters isn't big on cooking, while one of my brothers loves cooking. He used to make a lot of our meals.

MJB is not from LA. I used to live in LA. and I always appreciate a good "lagniappe". :dance:

I was in NOLA last June for work. One member of the host committee (for our convention) used the word lagniappe. Then, I was hearing the word all the time and noticed the convention center's food court was named The Lagniappe Food Court. It's a cool word. I plan to insert it in my vocabulary more! Yes, I'm a dork!

I think that's a pretty good description of all fundie parenting, encompassing the gender roles and everything.

They do capitalize in their "community" have you read some of the people who comment on their posts? They act they are some kind of G-ds on how kids and parents should act and behave. People have even commented on how they respect them more then they do their own parents because although they grew in good homes they were not Christan homes.

'Allo bebes! Sorry, I was away for a while. No, I'm only from Louisiana in my heart, but parts of "the old Illinois country" of southern IL/MO come pretty close to the level of Cajun & Creole -ness.

So glad Susan Stewart's site is pleasing youse all (not from Chicago, either, but boy is that a helpful pronoun since the Duggars, et.al., bogarted "y'all")!!!

:D

Read the title of thread..translated it to rather do my own smear (pap) test with a blunt instrument.

My kid is fine thanks.

My daughter doesn't like to cook, so she unloads the dishwasher and helps with laundry, which she enjoys and is good at keeping done. My older son likes to cook, so he helps with meal prep. He is also responsible for taking out the trash.

The younger boy, while cute is not qualified for much due to his size. He's responsible for keeping the floors picked up, emptying wastebaskets, and helping keep the room he shares with his brother from falling into complete chaos.

All three of the kids are expected to pick up after themselves, help clean their bathroom, and haul in the groceries from the car. We managed to figure out all of this out, as well as homeschool without chore packs, charts, or any outside help. I think a bigger, busier family might benefit from something more formal, so thankfully there are alternatives to the Maxwell's schlock.

Archived