IGNORED

Liberty University + ANTM?

crassy

This (horrible) season of ANTM features all university/college students. One of the girls who made the top whatever number goes to Liberty University online. She was homeschooled her whole life, and when talking to her mum on the most recent episode she said: "Tell me what to think, I don't know what to think!" Her mum's response was 'Be a fisher for the lord".

I am going to assume that they are some sort of fundie ish, given that in the little vignette they did for her in the first episode show her and her mum to be frumperish.

Does anyone know if Liberty University online requires the same batshit adherence that going to the school does (or similar)? I can't imagine they like being associated with ANTM!

I swear they pick these girls just so Tyra can lecture them about the realities of the modeling world during the lingerie/swimwear/nude shoot.

Remember Shannon from season one? Bible loving, virgin until marriage, etc. She came back for the All Stars season still insisting that bikinis, no matter how tiny, were more modest than lingerie, no matter how covered. In the very first episode she refused to wear ruffled boyshort underwear that covered her entire butt and bikini line and insisted on wearing an itsy bitsy white bikini bottom that exposed cheek and bikini line and hip bones and was cut down to the point of decency. She absolutely refused to believe the boyshorts were the more modest option because they were labelled as underwear and the suit was swimwear.

Her and Robin on the first season (she of "foolish is the atheist") provided my first push into researching such contradictory Christianity. I didn't understand how Robin could be such a nasty b and yet claim to be humble and loving. So, I guess thank you Tyra?

I've never understood why these "nice, Christian, girls" go on ANTM! Every season there is at least one lingerie, one bikini, and one nude shoot. Do they not watch the show? Do they think that they will be so awesome that they can refuse to do a shoot and still win? That's why I stopped watching a few seasons ago. Same girls, same "problems", ridiculous shoots.

I've never understood why these "nice, Christian, girls" go on ANTM! Every season there is at least one lingerie, one bikini, and one nude shoot. Do they not watch the show? Do they think that they will be so awesome that they can refuse to do a shoot and still win? That's why I stopped watching a few seasons ago. Same girls, same "problems", ridiculous shoots.

Maybe they're trying to get "worldly" girls into fundie clothing, and maybe that'll make them interested in where the style came from and the might want to join the cult because they like the clothes? Hey, it's far-fetched, but it makes sense.

There was one girl who auditioned and bragged about not liking gay people, having no clue that the fashion industry is pretty much run by gay people

There was one girl who auditioned and bragged about not liking gay people, having no clue that the fashion industry is pretty much run by gay people

Again? There was a hamster who did this a few years (many cycles) ago and Tyra kept her around until the final cut; even Tyraisms weren't going to save that chick. She was from suburban Houston, IIRC, Tom DeLay's old district.

There have been plenty of Christians who've kept it on the down-low and did quite well on the show (Danielle from S6 even won), but out of all the hamsters who made it into the house, Robin with her bible in tow was the absolute worst and made her main nemesis, the atheist Elyse (who ended up being the most successful MODEL of that cycle,) a heroine of mine.

I haven't watched ANTM in a couple of years. I do remember the girl said she didn't like gay people. The Soup made fun of her a few times. Like pixydust, I have never understood why 'nice Christian girls" would compete on ANTM. I think some of are a bit dumb and maybe they hope certain shoots won't happen. This thread reminds of the Christian guy who was on The Glee Project last year. He refused to do kissing scenes because he a had girlfriend and he considered it cheating.

I swear they pick these girls just so Tyra can lecture them about the realities of the modeling world during the lingerie/swimwear/nude shoot.

Remember Shannon from season one? Bible loving, virgin until marriage, etc. She came back for the All Stars season still insisting that bikinis, no matter how tiny, were more modest than lingerie, no matter how covered. In the very first episode she refused to wear ruffled boyshort underwear that covered her entire butt and bikini line and insisted on wearing an itsy bitsy white bikini bottom that exposed cheek and bikini line and hip bones and was cut down to the point of decency. She absolutely refused to believe the boyshorts were the more modest option because they were labelled as underwear and the suit was swimwear.

Her and Robin on the first season (she of "foolish is the atheist") provided my first push into researching such contradictory Christianity. I didn't understand how Robin could be such a nasty b and yet claim to be humble and loving. So, I guess thank you Tyra?

Tyra has really outdone herself in the crazy department this season. She keeps yapping on about having 'gone to Harvard' and 'graduated from Harvard'.

NO SHE FUCKING DIDN'T!

She took a $30K business course run by Harvard Business School. It didn't get her a degree, she didn't have to apply, and she didn't actually go to 'classes'. She is such an idiot, and I really just want to punch her in the throat.

Tyra has really outdone herself in the crazy department this season. She keeps yapping on about having 'gone to Harvard' and 'graduated from Harvard'.

NO SHE FUCKING DIDN'T!

She took a $30K business course run by Harvard Business School. It didn't get her a degree, she didn't have to apply, and she didn't actually go to 'classes'. She is such an idiot, and I really just want to punch her in the throat.

Ugh, I read about that. If you ever want a good laugh read the description of her book, I think it's called like modeltopia or something like that? Clearly not written by a Harvard grad. The show really is all Tyra all the time. What season was it when the opening switched from showing all the girls with Tyra at the end to showing Tyra, Tyra, Tyra, and oh look a contestant?

I might start watching this season for the religious girl. She can't be as amusing as Robin, but so few people are...

Again? There was a hamster who did this a few years (many cycles) ago and Tyra kept her around until the final cut; even Tyraisms weren't going to save that chick. She was from suburban Houston, IIRC, Tom DeLay's old district.

There have been plenty of Christians who've kept it on the down-low and did quite well on the show (Danielle from S6 even won), but out of all the hamsters who made it into the house, Robin with her bible in tow was the absolute worst and made her main nemesis, the atheist Elyse (who ended up being the most successful MODEL of that cycle,) a heroine of mine.

I loved Elyse! I would love to split a bottle of wine with her and just talk all night!

I loved Elyse! I would love to split a bottle of wine with her and just talk all night!

There was some drama surrounding Elyse later on - she and her longtime boyfriend broke up after he allegedly assaulted her. Her blog was really interesting though - she was never one to hide the nitty gritty details under a omg-fabulous model veneer.

Does anyone know if Liberty University online requires the same batshit adherence that going to the school does (or similar)? I can't imagine they like being associated with ANTM!

Technically, they do, but if you are not a campus student, it's really not an issue. Unless you are the kind of person who will follow rules just because they said they would, whether LU is watching or not. In my experience, off-campus students, staff, and faculty follow their consciences, whether that lines up with the Liberty Way or not.

I loved Elyse's blog and was sad when she stopped after the breakup with the long-term bf (he actually appeared on the show as a result of her winning a "challenge").

Tyra's had it in for just about every hamster who has attended a high profile university (Yaya - Yale; Sara (mall girl) - Georgetown; Katarzyna - Cornell; Whitney (plus sized girl) - an Ivy that I've forgotten and even Elyse, who didn't go to a prestigious university but made Tyra look like a blithering idiot). There were a few others, but you get the basic idea; Tyra's a megalomaniac who hates be shown up by the hamsters.

I hadn't heard about the Harvard thing. Does she think that paying nearly a year's tuition for one online course is going to allow her to be the keynote at a commencement some day? Actually, in her mind, it probably does.

I didn't even know it was back on, but I found it and makeover week is always a trainwreck, so I'll DVD and check it out after my board exam on Saturday.

She's a nutter. I have never seen someone SO OBSESSED with her mom. On the latest episode she gives her a call and she is literally sobbing into the phone. I was like um, it probably hasn't even been a week yet. Since she was homeschooled and all, it's probably the longest they've ever been apart. She's a great example of how some homeschoolers cripple their kids socially. An adult should not be that unhealthily attached to their mom. I think she'd have a better time with her separation anxiety if she had gone to school or had extra curriculars outside the home. It seems to me as if they have never been apart. It's great to have a good relationship with your mom, but she is way over the top.

And i think she's going to be one of those girls who flips the hell out when they tell her they want to cut their hair short. IDK why girls refusing to wear skimpy clothes or change their look even bother coming on the show. Getting a short cut really seems like a compliment to me--it implies that you have a strong face and don't need hair to make it interesting. I always ask my colorist to recommend me colors and cuts-- he's been cutting hair every day for 25 years. He knows what cuts are fresh and what colors look good with my skin tone. These people are professionals, they rarely make anyone look bad. He said it's really frustrating when clients insist on a certain hair color even if he knows it will look terrible on them or ruin their hair (like bleach blondes).,

I loved Elyse's blog and was sad when she stopped after the breakup with the long-term bf (he actually appeared on the show as a result of her winning a "challenge").

Tyra's had it in for just about every hamster who has attended a high profile university (Yaya - Yale; Sara (mall girl) - Georgetown; Katarzyna - Cornell; Whitney (plus sized girl) - an Ivy that I've forgotten and even Elyse, who didn't go to a prestigious university but made Tyra look like a blithering idiot). There were a few others, but you get the basic idea; Tyra's a megalomaniac who hates be shown up by the hamsters.

I hadn't heard about the Harvard thing. Does she think that paying nearly a year's tuition for one online course is going to allow her to be the keynote at a commencement some day? Actually, in her mind, it probably does.

I didn't even know it was back on, but I found it and makeover week is always a trainwreck, so I'll DVD and check it out after my board exam on Saturday.

Makeover week is next week. Apparently they are giving them the choice this season. Tyra's has also gotten rid of Miss J, Mr J, and Nigel and replaced them with blathering idiots. The judging is also different, you can vote online and whomever gets kicked out is the person with the lowest scores from the online voters and the judges. It has totally ruined the (small amount of) watchability of the show.

Wait, no forced makeovers? Well then what's the point of the show?

No joke! Miss J was the best person on that show, with Mr Jay right behind. The makeovers were the best episodes!

No joke! Miss J was the best person on that show, with Mr Jay right behind. The makeovers were the best episodes!

Everything I loved about ANTM is ruined...I don't think I can take Tyra's Deep Moral And Philosophical Lessons without a J nearby to roll their eyes. Bring back Janice, she made Tyra furious at least twice an episode. Classic televsion.

Everything I loved about ANTM is ruined...I don't think I can take Tyra's Deep Moral And Philosophical Lessons without a J nearby to roll their eyes. Bring back Janice, she made Tyra furious at least twice an episode. Classic televsion.

Oh man! I totally forgot about the hot mess that is/was Janice. Her bad lip job used to fascinate/horrify me.

yes I loved the Jays. Nigel was such a smarty windbag, I can't miss him.

Nothing compared to the tears shed over makeovers. Some of them were just plain HIDEOUS.

I loved Elyse's blog -even bought her book several years ago which is just a compilation of posts from her blog. Arguably, she is the most successful contestant as a model ever. Certainly, the most clever.

My daughter attended a wedding last year here in Dallas where Shannon (Cycle 1 runner-up) was the maid of honor! It was a small wedding so she talked to her for a bit. My daughter was 13 at the time and she said Shannon was super nice to her. We had watched a marathon on Oxygen a few weeks before so she was pretty star stuck.

I was watching ANTM at the nail salon this weekend and the girl with from Liberty University is strange to put it nicely. It was so loud in the salon that I actually couldn't hear any of the dialogue. Didn't matter though, her breakdown and the aerobics montage said it all.

What all of you said. I can't believe she dumped them, but doesn't Mr. Jay host the Canadian version of the show? Maybe he is just too busy and told Tyra to shove it (I can dream).

What all of you said. I can't believe she dumped them, but doesn't Mr. Jay host the Canadian version of the show? Maybe he is just too busy and told Tyra to shove it (I can dream).

The Canadian version has been shelved. Jay Manuel is pushing his clothing line in Canada bigtime. His face was/is plastered all over the Eaton Centre in Toronto. I wish Tyra had fired herself and just let the Jays take over. Compared to the other version of NTM (specifically Australia and the UK), the American one is balls.

Archived