IGNORED

Pregnancy out-of-wedlock is........

Kira

If you're "legitimately" pregnant out of wedlock, that is. Whatever that would mean.

How people this stupid can run for senate i`ll never know. It`s like they don`t WANT to understand basic biology. This is offensive to rape victims, people pregnant out of wedlock, women, and people with common sense in general. Just another one who spends far too much time worrying about what women do with their uteruses.

And my dad keeps on implying to me that if I really understood politics, I would vote for Romney because Bush created this economic depression by staying in the middle-east too long; saying in stereotypical southern drawl, wee'ree gonna catch Osama when it took 8 fucking years and Obama to actually catch the nutjob, never mind if Bush gave the orders or not and the GOP is using Obama as a target because he didn't improve on it/agree with them on social issues in 2 days like Obama's "ruining" the country. Uh, sure, ok, dad. :roll:

Smith was then asked if his daughter's unwed pregnancy and rape were similar. "No, no, no. Put yourself in a father's position, yes, I mean it is similar," he said.

Basically he has no empathy for his daughter. He thinks he would feel similarly if his daughter was raped to the way he did when his daugher had consensual sex. There is just so much wrong with that.

Guest Anonymous

Various things that bug me:

"I lived something similar to that with my own family," he went on to say. "She chose life and I commend her for that. She knew my views but fortunately for me … she chose the way I thought. Now don't get me wrong. It wasn't rape."

This seems suspiciously pro-choice! Look at all that autonomy! Look at that independent decision making on the part of a grown woman. I suppose that's fine when it's your own daughter.

Smith was then asked if his daughter's unwed pregnancy and rape were similar. "No, no, no. Put yourself in a father's position, yes, I mean it is similar," he said.

Asked again to clarify his statement, Smith said he wasn't comparing the two.

"No, I didn't not say that," Smith said.

"I'm not comparing them, they're just similar" is not a thing. The comparison is necessary for the judgement.

But do I condone rape? Absolutely not.

It is disgusting, it is utterly foul, that somebody actually has to say that they do not condone rape. As if condoning rape is a reasonable possibility.

I got pregnant from a gang rape at age 15 and pregnant while unmarried from a consensual relationship at age 25. Believe me, there is a world of difference.

Why that's a matter for the US Senate to consider?

All the rape talk is, as someone else mentioned, to appeal to people who sort of dislike abortion but really hate the idea of their mother or sister or daughter having to carry the child of a rapist so they, unlike women who have consensual sex, should have choice. It's so twisted.

This all stems from the Reagan era (before that, reproductive freedom was a favorite cause of Republican women --who wants more poor people breeding?) Then the Republicans decided to focus on social issues to appeal to disaffected blue-collar Democrats, who were largely Catholic in the North and Bible Belt southerners, and encourage the fundie fringe to register to vote. It's taken a long time, but I do believe they are finally hoist on their own petard.

Meanwhile, in France (or Sweden for that matter) over 50% of children are born out of the wedlock. Wonder what Smith would say about that...

It's been a long time so I can't cite the studies here, but I remember many books by legitimate scholars that found that at times from 20 up to 50 percent of Puritan brides were pregnant when they married. So while they did have to get married it wasn't like hundred years before the Founding Fathers nobody who wasn't married had sex.

Oh dear Lord. So what he is saying is if my daughter was physically attacked, painfully forced against her will by an assailant who threatens her, is left psychologically scarred and terrified and in need of counseling that is the same as if she goes to bed and has a good time with the man that she loves. Yep, totally the same. She is defiled by having semen placed in her vagina so who cares how it got there. Am I right?

What a grotesque excuse for a father. What a worthless human being. I hope his wife cuts off.... his play time and his daughter shuns him forever.

And my dad keeps on implying to me that if I really understood politics, I would vote for Romney because Bush created this economic depression by staying in the middle-east too long; saying in stereotypical southern drawl, wee'ree gonna catch Osama when it took 8 fucking years and Obama to actually catch the nutjob, never mind if Bush gave the orders or not and the GOP is using Obama as a target because he didn't improve on it/agree with them on social issues in 2 days like Obama's "ruining" the country. Uh, sure, ok, dad. :roll:

I am SO glad that all this garbage is somewhat making my dad rethink his political affliation. He still hasn't gone back to dem far enough, but he's at least thinking.

I am SO glad that all this garbage is somewhat making my dad rethink his political affliation. He still hasn't gone back to dem far enough, but he's at least thinking.

The weird thing is, my dad considers himself "democrat" but agrees with a lot of what republicans say minus the abortion issue. :|

Archived